classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New Approach re Fasteners, Interior Panels, Body Parts, etc

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Six hours ago in Fasteners: Where To Put The Pages I asked a question.  But no one has replied.  So either I did a poor job of explaining and confused everyone, or this is of no import.  And since I think it is a matter of great import I chose to assume the former and will, therefore, explain it differently in the hope that I can get your input.

Heretofore we've had a section called Fasteners & Illustrations.  It was fairly well hidden and little used.  But it had some neat stuff as it had illustrations of various sections of these trucks with hot links to pages on the fasteners.  I've been working on those pages to improve them, but had a sneaking suspicion that they were either misplaced or poorly done.

Today I realized that there's no reason those illustrations should be only about the fasteners.  They have body panels, interior pieces, carpet, etc shown.  So why not use those illustrations to let people quickly find the part for which they are looking?  In computer-speak, a graphical user interface.

As an example, let's say you are looking for information on something to do with interior trim.  We currently have a page at Documentation/Interior/Interior Trim that has a tab for Illustrations and another for Part #'s.  And on the Illustration tab there are tabs for Regular Cab, Supercab, Crew Cab, Bronco, and Common Parts.  So on the Regular Cab and Bronco tabs I've taken away the static illustration and substituted the illustration with the hot links.  (An easy place to see the difference is on the Bronco tab where both exist.)  And if you click one of the blue boxes you'll be taken to info on that part.

To me this could be a big step in making the site easier to navigate.  One reason is that I have it set so when you click on a link it opens a new window, meaning you have the window with the illustration still open, so you can go back.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Ideas?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New Approach re Fasteners, Interior Panels, Body Parts, etc

66gtk
Works good!...the fasteners are hyperlinked on the diagrams, so easy to click for more info!
'83 F150 XL Shortbox California
302 (EEC-III), AOD, 3.55 - stock original drivetrain
Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
That is awesome!  I noticed it also pops up with a URL when you hover over it. I don't think you need to bother with a URL since the cursor turns to a hand (signifying that one can click).
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, guys.

Christopher - The URL bit is a given when you are on a web page.  If you hover over a URL it'll show up at the bottom left.  I don't think there's any way to turn it off.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, I really hadn't had a chance to play with it, but works great and makes perfect sense. If you know where a missing fastener is supposed to go, bingo, there's the PN and possible source.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
      a lot of thought and care went into this, and it shows!

I only have two thumbs, or I would have given you more!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill and Jim!  I hope to use this approach across the board - over time.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Very nice! Thank you!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona