Nee member

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Nee member

Redneckedness
My 15 yr old bought himself an 84 F 250 4x4 with a 460 and 4 speed manual trans. The head gasket was blown so to save time and hopefully money i bought a junkyard 460 to replace the blown motor. I have the replacement motor torn down to a long block and the internals look excellent. Now, I've never worked on a Ford nor hav i ever torn a motor down this far. Im doing it all using youtube and the interweb so im probably missing a lot. My biggest concern is when i do the swap im not sure how much of the electrical system i need due to deleting the smog system. Can i use the stock distributor? And if so, should i use the vacuum advance system?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Nee member

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

And, I'm sure you are worried about letting your 15 year old son on the internet, but this is a family-friendly forum.  So after you get to know us you may decide to let him come on as well.

Where's home?  We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd love to put you on.  Who knows, you may be a neighbor to one of us.

On the 460, they didn't have a lot of "stuff" to take off.  So you are going to need most, if not all of the electrical system.  You can use the stock distributor as it was/is a DS-II system with no computer.  And you will want the vacuum advance.

However, if you aren't going to have EGR then you'll want to adjust that vacuum advance.  The reason is that the inert gas introduced into the air/fuel mix via the EGR system slows the combustion process.  Since that is only done during periods of high vacuum they dial up a lot of advance through that system.  But w/o EGR you will probably have too much advance at part throttle and may get pinging.

Some of the Ford vacuum advance units are adjustable by inserting a really small Allen wrench in via the vacuum port.  But if yours isn't Crane makes one that is.  And it comes with instructions on how to adjust it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thats great to know. I hadn't read about that. Im not very good with interweb but ill try to figure out the map. Im trying to make it a father son project but between school and work( both of us) its been difficult trying to find time to work on it together. Ill definitely let him know about this site. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 17, 2019, at 3:57 PM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

And, I'm sure you are worried about letting your 15 year old son on the internet, but this is a family-friendly forum.  So after you get to know us you may decide to let him come on as well.

Where's home?  We have a member's map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and I'd love to put you on.  Who knows, you may be a neighbor to one of us.

On the 460, they didn't have a lot of "stuff" to take off.  So you are going to need most, if not all of the electrical system.  You can use the stock distributor as it was/is a DS-II system with no computer.  And you will want the vacuum advance.

However, if you aren't going to have EGR then you'll want to adjust that vacuum advance.  The reason is that the inert gas introduced into the air/fuel mix via the EGR system slows the combustion process.  Since that is only done during periods of high vacuum they dial up a lot of advance through that system.  But w/o EGR you will probably have too much advance at part throttle and may get pinging.

Some of the Ford vacuum advance units are adjustable by inserting a really small Allen wrench in via the vacuum port.  But if yours isn't Crane makes one that is.  And it comes with instructions on how to adjust it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Nee-member-tp41238p41241.html
To unsubscribe from Nee member, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Redneckedness
Welcome to the forum!  

A few of us here have the 385 series engines (Gary, Bill and myself)
You'll see a lot of love for the 4.9/300 six as well.

The emissions system is driven by vacuum, not electricity, so wires stay but some hoses can go.

Gary is right about the distributor (it takes a 3/32 Allen wrench) but by this point the Federal emissions mandate had made most everything "tamper-proof", so get yourself the Crane advance can for '60's and early '70's Ford's and Mecury's.
Follow the seemingly convoluted instructions to the letter.

Bill or I can help you as the engine comes together.
Be sure to reinstall the motor mount heat shields when you put the engine back in.
That rubber doesn't like the radiant heat of the exhaust.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
Thank you. You guys are a godsend. Been looking for info for months and found very little . My wife actually stumbled across the bullnose forum and sent it to me. There’s a lot i have to learn. I was looking at getting a new distributor but really didnt want to pay that much money. The crane kit is just what i need. Im also replacing the timing chain set. Was thinking about advancing the timing  a few degrees but after reading a little it sounds like i would just be moving my power band down the rpm range.  Also whats with the map? I cant find it anywhere on the site. My phone doesn't always give  me everything on these sites and I'm a tech moron. 
Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 18, 2019, at 2:36 AM, ArdWrknTrk [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Welcome to the forum!  

A few of us here have the 385 series engines (Gary, Bill and myself)
You'll see a lot of love for the 4.9/300 six as well.

The emissions system is driven by vacuum, not electricity, so wires stay but some hoses can go.

Gary is right about the distributor (it takes a 3/32 Allen wrench) but by this point the Federal emissions mandate had made most everything "tamper-proof", so get yourself the Crane advance can for '60's and early '70's Ford's and Mecury's.
Follow the seemingly convoluted instructions to the letter.

Bill or I can help you as the engine comes together.
Be sure to reinstall the motor mount heat shields when you put the engine back in.
That rubber doesn't like the radiant heat of the exhaust.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with an Edelbrock 1826 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Nee-member-tp41238p41273.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad your wife found us.  

To find the map, on a phone the menu will be the three stacked bars, probably in the upper left.  Click that, then click Bullnose Forum, then scroll down to Member's Map.

I just made it easy for you by making that a hot link.  However, I wanted you to know how to use the menu as you'll need it to get to all the documentation, and there are about 550 web pages of documentation, some of which have documents on them that are many pages long.

Anyway, you can't add yourself to the map.  But I can.  Just give me a city (we don't use actual addresses so people can stalk us) and I'll add you.

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
In reply to this post by grumpin
Thank you. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 17, 2019, at 4:08 PM, grumpin [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 Suburban LT K2500 454 4L80E
2000 Nissan Xterra XE 4WD 3.3 RE4R01A
Oregon

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Nee-member-tp41238p41242.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I live in a small town, about 70 miles west of Chicago, called Somonauk. Again, I’m not good at  tech so you’ll have to forgive me. Ill see if my son can help me. Hahaha. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 18, 2019, at 8:29 AM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Glad your wife found us.  

To find the map, on a phone the menu will be the three stacked bars, probably in the upper left.  Click that, then click Bullnose Forum, then scroll down to Member's Map.

I just made it easy for you by making that a hot link.  However, I wanted you to know how to use the menu as you'll need it to get to all the documentation, and there are about 550 web pages of documentation, some of which have documents on them that are many pages long.

Anyway, you can't add yourself to the map.  But I can.  Just give me a city (we don't use actual addresses so people can stalk us) and I'll add you.

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Nee-member-tp41238p41292.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are now on the map.  Hadn't heard of Somonauk, even though we used to live in Elgin.  Anyway, now worries about not being good at tech, we'll help you through.

Reply | Threaded
|

Redneckedness
Hahaha! Not many people have heard of it. 

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 18, 2019, at 9:42 AM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

You are now on the map.  Hadn't heard of Somonauk, even though we used to live in Elgin.  Anyway, now worries about not being good at tech, we'll help you through.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Nee-member-tp41238p41309.html
NAML