1 ... 101112131415
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Jim's 1982 300 Six Bronco Original Restoration

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I know I did post a few photos of me welding it (making sure the splines at each end were clocked correctly)

But they're not on this phone.
I went to check Google photos and the above pic is the only one there.
Edit:see the next post...... 💡
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Pics here, Sept 10 2020:   https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/WHYDTYTT-What-Have-You-Done-To-Your-Truck-Today-tp148p74094.html

Laid out before any cutting.

And installed:

And this link here:
https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Lower-rag-joint-steering-shaft-used-tp126923p126939.html
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jim.  That pulls it all together.  I'll see if I can get something whipped up soon, but am sure to be back with several questions.  But I think I have several bits and pieces that may answer my own questions.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I'll post pictures in a bit, but I ended up using an EPDM roof pipe flashing boot to seal the steering column to the firewall mount. I had to cut it up real good but it works perfectly.

Gary Lewis wrote
Those are nice gaskets!  I made mine out of weatherstrip tape, but yours look much better.  
Thanks Gary. I will have to spray them with water to see if they really do seal. The original seems like they chose foam for a reason, to better seal against the imperfections in that area of the sheet metal. We shall see. At least I know the EPDM will work great on the firewall.

ArdWrknTrk wrote
I just replied in another thread that id adapted a later ('09-'14) lower shaft.
It does away with the rag joint and the sloppy plastic bushing.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Restore-of-my-1986-Bronco-XLT-tp137348p141979.html

Id be interested to see if anything turns up for the cab bolt cover plates.
Since I had to replace the floor anyway, I ended up making them round and getting some thick plastic bulkhead block-offs.
At least they'll never rust???

Edit to ask:  did you change your username to match your YouTube channel?
That's actually really nice. I think I like this better than the Borgeson because I was worried about it not collapsing in an accident and sending the steering wheel into my face.

I think I'm gonna bite the bullet on whatever I can find on amazon due to the return policy. LMC has the smaller 2x3" middle and mid-rear position covers in rubber and I don't think you'd be able to tell they're rubber with a carpet over them. LMC# 40-1289, Ford# F7LZ-63111A74-AA. LMC lists them as a part for 88-96. It would be nice to get the larger front ones in the same exact style. If I went the same route as you, yeah round sounds much easier to source, also there seems to be an endless supply of oval ones for JK Jeep Wranglers.

And yes I changed it. My old username dates back to when I was playing videogames at age 12...
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
I'm at the end of my rope trying to find plugs for the front floorboard holes, so I'm just going to harvest some off a junkyard truck.

I finally got a new brake booster but I don't remember if there is a gasket that goes between the booster and master cylinder. In any case I can....make another EPDM gasket!
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
Got my brakes all put back together, just need to bleed the system and hope my homemade lines hold.

In the meantime I'm trying to clear some space in the garage and the HVAC stuff uses a lot of it. New blower motor with fan. Not sure if the motor vent hose needs a hose clamp but I did it anyway.. New fan speed resistor. Took apart the vents completely to clean them up.

Blend door for the a/c (?) is in rough shape with rust bubbles, I don't think sandblasting and paint will help. I also can't seem to figure out how to remove it without breaking stuff. The plastic grille is about done. I'm not sure I want to put in the effort trying to find this part at a wrecking yard, so I'll probably use metal mesh or get rid of it. The a/c evaporator is in pretty good shape and still smells like refrigerant.

Where the rodents chewed up the fan, they also chewed up the ducting. I cut out that portion so I can patch it with a square piece of ABS plastic and epoxy, sand it down until I get a reasonable shape.

It is on my to-do list to comb through the threads that Gary has documented his HVAC system rebuild.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
JimJam300 wrote
Blend door for the a/c (?) is in rough shape with rust bubbles, I don't think sandblasting and paint will help. I also can't seem to figure out how to remove it without breaking stuff.
You can purchase a 3D printed blend door with hinge and integral actuator arm from Chuske here on the forum.
(I think there are instructions on drilling out the rivet as well)

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/blend-door-repair.html
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by JimJam300
That looks like a lot of work, but should turn out very nicely - especially if you go with a new, much better, door like Jim suggested.  Keep up the good work!

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
I think this is a different blend door, it's between the blower motor and the evaporator and is hinged on a metal rod, vacuum actuated
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Do you have factory AC and the high output heater core?

Perhaps the recirc/outside air door?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
You are right, I checked Docs and it's the recirculating air door, part of duct assembly E1TZ 19C590-A.

Dang I might have to pull the duct off a junkyard truck... Is it possible to use VINs to identify options on Bullnose trucks? Not a Marti Report, just a VIN lookup website or something. Every one I've tried so far does not give much info. I am able to see a full options list on newer vehicles like when I'm picking parts for my Dodge.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Not that I know of.
I mean, there are plenty of VIN decoders available but none that would cross to a build sheet or what options went onto a specific truck.
Information and data technology wasn't nearly as comprehensive and certainly none of it was online when these trucks were built.

The VIN would tell you what plant/series/MY/class/engine but that's about it
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
Duct repair. It's not perfect but the shape should be good enuff. Used super glue to hold the plastic pieces in place and slathered JB Quick Weld on the whole thing to give it some meat for shaping.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Your repair looks good!

Now you just have to keep the rodents away.  ðŸ˜…

I have some pics from last week where I pulled 2 gallons of acorns out of an airbox/intake plenum!!!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it does look good!

2 gallons?  WOW!  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Customer complaint "engine rattling"
The Honda was completely filled, from the air filter to the snorkel....

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
I think the fresh air plenum has about 6-7 gallons of capacity. The circumstances of knowing this were pretty not cool.
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
I'm wondering if this small mesh will end up being a bad idea. The factory mesh here is much larger...
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's just there to support the foam on the door, right?
 Jim,
1 ... 101112131415