Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Jerry’s 86

FuzzFace2
Jerry Slagle wrote
Hey Dave,
Thanks a lot for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone
There is a lot of what I would call misinformation out there. I personally have no idea about the type of paint. I was just going by the exterior paint code table on this site for a Canadian built truck and that is what it said for my codes. I probably read it wrong.
I’m doing this a piece at a time because I have both fenders and the hood off. I would like to prime it with a spray can since it’s several small jobs. I intended to use the Duplicolor filler primer FP101 but I believe that is a lacquer based primer. Wouldn’t that lift the enamel paint?? I want to get this right so I don’t have to do it twice. What would you suggest I use for a primer??
Thanks, Jerry
If the enamel paint was done not long ago then it may lift it but if it has been on the truck for say 5 years I would say you would be ok and not have lift issues.
Do the first few coats light so it dries fast.
When the coats a put on heavy / wet and they take longer to dry they have more of a chance to eat into the enamel and lift.

I dod not know when the last enamel paint job was put on my truck and never gave it a thought about using lacquer primer and lifting.
I did not get any lifting.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
Thanks man,
The truck has been sitting outside for 15 years. The paint is original but is faded. I’m slowly making it mechanically sound but it sure needs some fresh paint.
Thanks for the help!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Hey good morning y’all!! I know it’s been awhile but I have managed to move forward some. After retirement our motorcycle riding and camping seem to be taking precedent over this truck. The body work and primer is complete on the front half, now on to the bed. I cracked the windshield removing the trim so I just took all the glass out and set it aside for now.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Nice, body job is going well!

Did you decide the final color yet?
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
Thanks,
Right now I’m leaning towards Baltic Sea green and oyster white. The white for the cab top to offset some of that green. Maybe below the trim if that’s not enough. I saw this color combo on a 55 Ford at a rat rod show. Looked good together but I’ve changed my mind several times as I work on it and see what others have done.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks good, Jerry!

On the windshield you'll probably find that the folks you call want to replace it with a later unit, but those have the VIN in a different spot than ours.  So if you use one of those you can't read the VIN and that can cause problems when you sell the truck.  DAHIK.  

I suspect it is illegal to do that, but windshield installers do it all the time if you let them.  I wouldn't.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Maybe take a rubbing while the glass is out?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks Gary,
I didn’t know that was a practice. Thanks for the heads up. I will surely keep an eye out for that. I really appreciate all the info y’all give to keep me straight!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
That’s for sure!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jerry Slagle
I didn't know about that practice when I had someone put a windshield in the '82 Explorer, and when I sold it to a guy in Kansas we ran into problems as the DOT guy couldn't see the VIN.  Fortunately it was in a small town and my brother went there and pulled the dash pad.  That and a mirror allowed them to read the VIN, but the DOT guy could have just said "that's illegal" and it would have been over.

Since then I've seen many people on various forums and on Facebook find out that the windshield that was installed on their truck hides the VIN.  The windshield companies like to stock the minimum of parts, so they appear to go with the later model ones where the VIN was moved.  I think it is illegal for them to install one of those, but if you get stopped and the patrolman wants to check your VIN it will be your fault and not the installer's.  And when you sell the truck the sale may fall through or be denied.

Some people have found that the windshield places can get a windshield w/o the mask and that allows the VIN to be seen.  So if you can't find the right one at least that might be an option.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
In reply to this post by Jerry Slagle
Hey y’all good Saturday morning. Just a few more pics to show you I haven’t completely vanished. So my first paint job is complete. I guess it’s not to bad for a first timer. On to the interior before doors. Replacing the vinyl flooring and man what a miserable job that is. I couldn’t get it to lay down for nothing. Can’t afford a reupholstered seat so it’s gonna be a cover for now.
Had a small setback with an oil pan leak so that had to be replaced.
Small steps but still making progress.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's looking good, Jerry!

And the saddle blanket is tidy.  
At least the drivers side of the seat isn't all broken down.  

I hear you on the floor mat.
Just when you think you have it as far forward as it can get it needs more.
I lucked out and bought a thinner mat from Mexico on eBay that had a cutout for the high beam switch.
That helped me a lot in locating it.

Thanks for stopping back to show your progress.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
Thanks,
It’s actually a 2 piece cover so that made it easier to install and lay down. The seat is in descent shape but I actually laid a piece of double bubble under the cover to smooth it out.
Looks like I got the seat picture sideways again. I swear!!
Hey is there a way to post the latest without it going to the last page?? Not sure if I’m doing this right or not.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Ha! I had to lay a sheet of cardboard over my springs because they had cut deep into the foam.  

No, I'm afraid there's no way to add a post to a topic without replying to someone. (If that's what you mean)
And new posts are always going to be added in chronological order.
That's just the way this forum software is set up.

You can go back and edit one of your earlier posts though.
Just click "more" and then "edit" at the upper right of the post you wish to change.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
We’ll what do you know, I was actually doing something right!!
Thanks again!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Hey one more quick question. The front drive shaft had been removed and I don’t know which way the boot faces. Is it closer to the transfer case??
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In every case that I have seen, but I'm no expert on your 150 truck...

Edit: sorry I don't see any illustration of front driveshafts in the Driveline section of the Documentation (that's not to say there isn't one on site!)
 Jim,