57 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Jerry’s 86

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks good!  

(But how are you going to keep the brake fluid in when you pull the cap to check)?  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
In reply to this post by grumpin
Thanks man, I must have been standing on my head when I took that picture!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yeah I was just trying to figure that out!! I’m gonna need some help with that.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Go to Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's in the menu for how to post pics.  BUT, basically the situation is that the forum software isn't smart enough to read the orientation information your phone/camera records in the picture's metadata.  So you either have to properly orient the camera when you take the pic or do as I do and rotate it in some photo editing software before uploading it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jerry Slagle
That engine bay is looking pretty! Love that you went Ford Blue with the engine paint. My engine came in gray and if it ever comes out, it will go back in blue!!! I commend you on your brake lines. That NiCu stuff is great, bends nicely and flares beautifully. It can definitely be frustrating for a first timer though. Ask me how I know...LOL! I bought a special bender and straightener tool to facilitated the process. Helped immensely.    
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
Hey thanks,
Yeah mine was gray as well but I just couldn’t bring myself to going back with it. I really like the blue and my grandson agreed as he will end up with it.
Bending those brake lines is kinda like bending conduit. By the time I get 1 good piece I have 5 laying on the side all twisted up!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
Not sure what I did wrong. I went back and read that after the picture showed up sideways. The picture on my phone was oriented upright. I guess I’d better read it again before I send the next one so I don’t have to keep turning the truck over.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Jerry Slagle wrote
Not sure what I did wrong. I went back and read that after the picture showed up sideways. The picture on my phone was oriented upright. I guess I’d better read it again before I send the next one so I don’t have to keep turning the truck over.
Yeah, the picture orientation thing kinda stinks. I run my pictures through Corel Photoshop first and then post them. Seems I recall someone posting on here about correcting the orientation through they're phone but I don't mess with that so forgot how. Might do a search on that here.
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jerry Slagle
Phones, Facebook, Instagram, etc are smart and read the metadata to re-orient the picture so you can see it properly.  This forum isn't smart and doesn't read the metadata so does not re-orient the picture.

Said another way, there is only one way you can hold any given camera/phone to have the picture come out right-side up on the forum.  On my iPhone X it is in landscape mode with the on/off button on the top.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Thanks, hopefully I’ll get it right next time.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
If you open the picture on a computer, you can rotate it as needed before posting and also crop/reduce size etc. then post. I had to remove my nice Abode Photoshop 6 as Adobe decided that I no longer owned it, but now needed to lease it at $14.99/month. Just like Micro$oft, they all are getting greedier.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
Hey y’all,
A beautiful morning here in middle Tennessee. I am looking for a left front fender for this 86 f150. I know they say 80-86 are compatible but aren’t the body lines different?? What year fender will match what I have??
Thanks, Jerry
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Beautiful morning here in Okiehoma - it is raining!

As for the fender, they were the same for 80 through 86.  The trim changed and where the two tone paint line was changed, but the fender itself is the same.

Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
Sweet!! This was a 2 tone originally but not sure yet if it will stay that way. As long as the lines are the same I’m good. This web site is the greatest. Answers to questions are ready available from so many people here. Thanks again!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Reply | Threaded
|

jdavidsmi
I saw on Craigslist a short while back, there is a guy in Atlanta that has quite a few bullnose and brick nose trucks on his lot. The map location is near the airport. The adds pop up around once a month
David
David,
1984 F150 LX, 4x4 117 wheel base, Engine Code "F" = 302, 5.0 2/B,
Transmission code "A" = 4sp manual New Process model 435
Axle code "19" = 3.55 (ford 8.8) manf.  08/1983, in Norfolk
DSO code "21" AtlantaFactory Air Conditioner, Dash with Gauges
1990 Goldwing 1500
1986 F150 XLT, short bed, 5.0 automatic
2004 F53 Fleetwood Terra motor home
2017 Chevrolet Traverse
Home town Viola Tennessee
Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
Thanks David,
I’ve been using car-parts.com
You type in what your looking for along with your zip code and it pops up all the salvage yards that have that part. A lot of small mom and pop places use this. I found a very nice dash pad for $30.00 about 30 miles away. Didn’t even know it was there. A good site for sure. I’m guessing everyone knew about the site but me!! Also got a good transfer case using this site. Cracked it open and looked very good inside. New seal kit and so far so good.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
Hey good morning everyone,
I know it’s been a while. Retirement    is pretty busy, but everyday is a holiday!! My attempt to find a good used fender ended badly as the one I bought ended up being full of Bondo. I ended up repairing the original which I should have done up front. Anyway when I sand the rusted spots down to bare metal what should I cover it with. Also since the original paint is acrylic lacquer what primer should be used to cover it before top coating??
Thanks, Jerry

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
A little late but if that is factory paint it was not done in acrylic lacquer but acrylic enamel single stage, no clear coat as that would be 2 stage.

I know the go to primer now days is epoxy but if you check with your local body supply store they should be able to sell you what can be used.
One question they may ask is what kind of paint will be using but may not be a issue now days as I dont think you can get acrylic lacquer any more?

Now I used acrylic lacquer primer on my truck and you can paint over it with just about anything but I used acrylic enamel single stage paint.

Only think to know is acrylic lacquer primer will let moisture thru to anything under it like bondo / bare metal so should not be left outside. Mine was kept in the garage while doing body work till it was painted.
But any question you should talk to where you get the supplies from.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Jerry Slagle
Hey Dave,
Thanks a lot for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone
There is a lot of what I would call misinformation out there. I personally have no idea about the type of paint. I was just going by the exterior paint code table on this site for a Canadian built truck and that is what it said for my codes. I probably read it wrong.
I’m doing this a piece at a time because I have both fenders and the hood off. I would like to prime it with a spray can since it’s several small jobs. I intended to use the Duplicolor filler primer FP101 but I believe that is a lacquer based primer. Wouldn’t that lift the enamel paint?? I want to get this right so I don’t have to do it twice. What would you suggest I use for a primer??
Thanks, Jerry