Intermittent Wipers.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Intermittent Wipers.

Powerman5K
Hey folks. Been a while since I've last posted. After my accident, I've been waiting for the right deal to come around for my rebuild. That deal finally came about! For $200, I got everything pictured:

The list includes:
Hood
Driver fender
Driver door
Bumper
Splitter
Grill
Bezels
Cowling
Headliner with all the trim
Steering wheel horn cover
Radiator

Needless to say, I was very pleased with myself and there is NO rust on any of the parts and the headliner was just a bonus.

The guy let me pick his truck for $200. I'm regretting not taking more. I'm considering offering another $50 to comb over it once more. In particular, I want the chrome trim around the windshield as it is in mint condition. Also, I'd like to have intermittent wippers.

Does anyone know if the 85 XL came standard with intermittent wippers? If not, is there a way to tell if they are?
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Intermittent Wipers.

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Try turning the knob counter clockwise.
If it does, the truck has intermittent wipers, and you need to get the speed governor that is screwed to the parking brake, as well as the grounded wiper switch.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
I did have an '85 XL with intermittent wipers.  So yes they were available, but I think it was an option.

Jim explained how to check and what it needs.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
In reply to this post by Powerman5K
The module plugs right into the back of the switch so you cannot miss it. If the wiper motor is in good shape grab that for a spare as they don't make the correct replacement without modifications.

I like grabbing other odds and ends as well like the fuse box cover, any jacking tools that most trucks are missing.

If there is any bonus items like the engine compartment light, aux battery tray, vacuum canister/ball, any vacuum modules off the lines, the grill air intake and under hood toolboxes.

If the bezels are good everyone knows to grab those but the HVAC control box and vacuum actuators, buzzer module behind the glove box, any of the black boxes under the dash for like engine control or speed control.

Ash trays/chrome parts. If it has a good map light set, and chromed cargo light.
1985 F-350 XL | 460 | C6 | "Rufus Maximus"
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew | Cactus Grey | black out package | max tow
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The module is on a metal stalk attached to the parking brake assembly. The shock of releasing the pedal is what cracks the solder joints on the heatsink inside.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danny G
ArdWrknTrk wrote
The module is on a metal stalk attached to the parking brake assembly.

The shock of releasing the pedal is what cracks the solder joints on the heatsink inside.
So instead of fixing that weakness they just put "Do Not Drop" on the outside
1985 F-350 XL | 460 | C6 | "Rufus Maximus"
1986 F-150|Standard Cab|4x2|300Six|C6Transmission w/3.08 rear|Name:TBD
2021 Ranger XLT Super Crew | Cactus Grey | black out package | max tow
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K

Alright, so I went back and got the above parts for the intermittent wippers of a later model. I'm sure I'm missing something. What am I missing? As you can see, I have the motor, knob, and some type of box that's a fuse? Relay?

I also got the chrome windshield trim off of him as it was in better shape.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Danny G
Most of us just wrap it in foam rubber and tuck it up behind the fuse panel.  🤷‍♂️

Definitely not one of Ford's "better ideas"
I've certainly 'fixed' a lot of them.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't recognize the 3A20 number, but the module is pretty much a cap that is charged by the potentiometer in the switch, this triggers a long enough pulse to move the wipers off park, they then cycle back to park.

Be aware the later motor uses a different plug.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Powerman5K wrote
Alright, so I went back and got the above parts for the intermittent wippers of a later model. I'm sure I'm missing something. What am I missing? As you can see, I have the motor, knob, and some type of box that's a fuse? Relay?
You need the knob AND the module.
I grabbed this pict on eBay:

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Or you could use the pic we have on the page at Documentation/Electrical/Windshield Wipers:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
So will my existing wiper motor work once the new box is plugged into it?
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Yep!  It's plug'n play.

Just install the replacement switch and its control module and that's it.

The "off" position is in the middle.
From "off", turn counter clockwise and the intermittent gets slower.
From "off", turn to the right and you'll find the slow and fast continuous speeds.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You need to be sure the ground wire of the delay switch is firmly attached to the dashboard frame.
There should be a screw by the fuse panel.
 Jim,