Hesitation just off idle (and only in gear)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
69 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hesitation just off idle (and only in gear)

mat in tn
aod rod? is this not an efi engine? be particular with any aod adjustments, and keep in mind that a little too much pressure is better than not enough.by raising the idle setting you are potentially raising the throttle valve position but unless you exceed 5 psi (static ) at idle it is good. all proper adjustments should be made with a gauge on the trans.
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks, that's correct.  This is a 302 with the 2150 carb and TFI (EEC-IV) - a California truck.

I bought a pressure gauge anticipating this a month or so ago when the truck came back from getting the carb worked on last time, and the idle seemed a little low.  During the KOER test, the engine gets very close to stalling at the moment.

I watched some YouTube videos on adjusting the AOD pressure, I'll watch those again before I try anything.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
So I bumped the curb idle to a little over 600 RPM (was probably 480-500 before) and ran the KOER test, verifying as best I can that the AOD pressure is still good.  (Although I read more pressure is better than less).  The pressure after turning the screw near the carb down is around 15 psi in Park, and with the gauge tool installed, just under 40.  I turned the screw on the rod adjustment near the carb almost all the way out.  I won't mess with it for now as long as the shift points still make sense (I've seen Bill's posts about 15, 25,and 45 MPH being the appropriate shift points at 1500 RPM).  In the times I've driven the truck recently, shifting into overdrive took longer than it used to in the old days (but it still shifts smooth) so I'm hoping I get closer to the ideal.  I may take it to a transmission shop for them to do an adjustment at the transmission to get it perfect.

Anyways, the results of the KOER: Code 11!    I have never had a clean KOER as long as I have owned the truck.  The code 35 was Idle too low... I'm guessing code 45 was being thrown as the EGR/emissions test couldn't be run due to the low idle.   Either way, it's good to go.  It also sounds better... just more consistent and solid like a truck should.  I should have bought a new ECM a long time ago I think, I've been chasing ghosts in the machine for over a year.

I've run out of time to take it on the road today, but hopefully tomorrow.  I anticipate good things.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  Congratulations!!!!!     
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks!  And thanks to you and everyone else for hanging in there with me.

On to the next layers of the onion!
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
That is good news!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by ckuske
very good. those other idle speed numbers are certainly low. the psi numbers that you have seem a little high for idle in neutral though. but it is true that it will last longer a little on the high side vs low. low pressure means more slipping of the clutches and bands. but easy down shifts when coming off the throttle. higher pressure can still give smooth shifts but might be earlier and sometimes more likely to down shift more often. and if too high it will downshift more harshly when coming to a stop.
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Yep, a local shop offered to adjust it at the transmission for me since I already backed the screw out near the carb.  It shifts pretty close at all points except shifting into 4th.  You pretty much HAVE to take your foot off the gas to get it to downshift, and that only works near 55mph.

I drove the truck around and the idle was a little high (a touch above1000 RPM in park, 650 or 700 RPM or so in drive) but the stumble/acceleration issue was gone.

I turned the idle back down a bit (but not like it was before) and lo and behold, the hesitation came back.  It definitely seems tied to lower idle.

I'm going to leave it where it is (I moved it back to the numbers above) and get the transmission adjusted - if the pressure is too high, getting it lowered will make putting it into gear etc a little less jarring.  It's not bad, but when you shift into drive now, you can tell the higher idle makes it "jump" getting into gear.  Shifts while driving are fine, but a little late.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
yes, if the shift points are a little late and od waits til 55 mph then the pressure is probably well above five psi at idle