Head Gaskets

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Head Gaskets

6.9IDIot
So sadly the other day I found out that both of my head gaskets are on there way out. I put some Alumaseal in the radiator with the hopes of slowing the process while I can prepare to pull the motor apart and redo them. The leak is still external as there is no mixing of oil or antifreeze and the exhaust doesn't have a strong sweet smell too it. Any advice going into this? Also, I don't have the resources to pull the motor so that is not an option currently.
85' F-250 HD 4X4, 6.9 IDI NA w/C6 Transmission, 177k
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Head Gaskets

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!

I've not pulled the heads on that engine, but I can only imagine that they are HEAVY!  I just put heads on Big Blue's 460 while on the stand, and there's no way I'd want to put those things on while the engine was in w/o using the shop crane.  The reach plus the weight is just awful.

Maybe you could take the fenders off, put the front on jack stands and pull the tires and wheels?  That would get you a LOT closer to the engine and take the over-the-fender reach out.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Head Gaskets

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by 6.9IDIot
That is a bummer! But head gaskets are a wear item.... and I limped mine along for years in a state like yours. I was loosing coolant but no oil/water exchange.

By far the preferred method of doing the gaskets is to pull the engine and do the work on a stand. If you don’t want to buy the crane and stand you can rent them, although you might want to buy the stand and rent the crane twice (to pull it and put it back in) depending on the rental. Keep in mind that the IDI with everything on it weighs 1,200-ish lbs. so you will need a beefy crane and sturdy stand, not one of the litt T shaped ones.

That said, it is possible to change the head gaskets in the truck... but you will need a buddy to help you, and a hoist will sure make it easier. Even a home made tripod and small chain pull would do. If I recall correctly the Early IDI heads were 98 lbs, and the later ones were 105 lbs., so it’s a lot of weight that needs carefully placed on the new gaskets without damaging them. There is a write up from a guy on FTE that did it in his van, because it is such an ordeal to pull the engine in an econoline. I pulled a 7.3 IDI out of a van U haul and I concur that I would try to do it without pulling it. He did use a hoist though. On a F-series you will find that the passenger side push rods and head bolts won’t come in and out with the head in place because of the heater core box. That will need to be moved out of the way.

If you don’t pull the engine, be sure you leave the IP gear housing and gear in place so you don’t get it out of time. The IP will need to come out. Pardon me if you know all this, just trying to save you a headache if you don’t. Note that the intake gasket ~is the valley pan. If you decide to re-use it, you need to be extremely careful with it while removing it and clean it well. Most people forget about the big square drive plug in the rear of the valley that is typically full of grease and dirt (invisible) and they bend up the valley plan trying to pry it out with that plug still attaching it to the block.

You should take your heads to a machinist to have them checked for cracks and make sure they are flat. If they need surfaced, make sure the shop has the right capabilities. The precombustion chambers are extremely hard, and some mill equipment cannot cut it correctly. Asking will also verify that the machinist knows that they don’t cut like regular cast iron.

If your 6.9 has the old style aluminum bridge rocker arms, this is a fantastic time to upgrade to the later trunion style, even if they are junkyard take-offs. 1987 6.9’s and 7.3’s have them, and all service parts are this type. The old style are prone to fatigue and breakage. The new style is a huge design improvement.

I’ve heard decent things about Felpro gaskets, but you can get genuine OEM Ford ones for $45 a pair and free shipping on eBay. This would be my choice:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F191920129150

It is fine to re use 6.9 head bolts, but if you think you might add a turbo, ARP head studs are a good upgrade and not horrible on price. Just something to think about depending on your plans for the truck.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2