classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
63 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gary's Trip To Ouray

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This is the first installment to tell y'all that things are going pretty well.  But not perfectly.

Big Blue is running like a champ save for some carburetion problems.  He was doing well until we swapped metering rods today, and that made him too lean.  We swapped back later but did something wrong and it was still lean.  We will work on it a bit tomorrow, but towards the end of today I opened the idle screws up 1 full turn each and that helped a bunch.

And, a minor problem where the passenger's front fender was just touching the door, but we've found many situations where we couldn't open the door.  So we've adjusted the fender a bit and made it better, but not perfect.  However, it'll do until we get it home.

But other than that, my brother can't seem to say enough good about the truck.  The suspension is "spot on" according to him, and it all just works well.  We've taken it on some really difficult trails, and it has done extremely well.  Plus, the compressor is a huge benefit.  We've discovered that one minute of airing up takes a tire from 15 psi to at least 30 psi, and usually more.

Yesterday we went over Ophir Pass, into Telluride, and then up over Imogene Pass back to Ouray.  Ophir was easy, but Imogene had some challenging sections.

Then today we took what Bob calls Engineer Mountain Road and had an interesting time.  I was driving and got too close to the right hand side and the tires slipped over the edge a bit to the point it was obvious that any further attempt to power out would make matters worse.

About that time another old guy in a 2020 4Runner came along and offered to help.  So he went past us, around the corner, and parked above us where he could run his winch line down to my step to keep the rear of the truck from going down more.  And I ran my line out to a couple of Aspen in front of the truck, and we coordinated the extraction - perfectly.

Here's a shot of how we did it.  And now Mike is our new best friend.  He followed us all day and will be going with us tomorrow, although we aren't quite sure where that is going to be.  I'll post more pics later, but here's one:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Gary's Trip To Ouray

grumpin
That is awesome! Looks like fun!

One thing I’ve learned, these 460’s like their fuel. Leaning out at my altitude did not work. I had went down a size (2) on the main jets, went back to what the carb came with (new Holley 4160), then ordered the next size richer.

When I got the idle mixture screws where I wanted, I went a half turn rich.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Beautiful photo, Gary! Have fun and a safe return to Skiatook!
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Good to hear for the most part everything is going good.

In the picture I see you have a floor mat on the cable.
That is good but it needs to be at the other end or in the middle.
When the line "takes off" its the hook end that will wip and the mat should slow it down some.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Glad you two are having fun, and big blue is doing well.  

Looking forward to the full report on your return.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
You do realize that the EFI system adjusts for altitude automatically. At least having an AFB on it means metering rods can be easily changed.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Beautiful picture. As I recall, seems we had some discussion on changing out those metering rods...lol!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Hey, I recognize that section of trail!

Glad to hear you're having fun.  And VERY glad to hear you got back on the trail!  It is fun meeting others on the trail and helping / getting helped.  And then wheeling together for a while!
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dane - You are right, the 460's like their fuel!  Won't know until we gas up in the morn what MPG we got today, but yesterday's combo of highway and trail got 3.13 MPG.  Today may be about the same.  

Bill - Yes, I certainly do realize that EFI adjusts for altitude.  And boy, am I ready for it!  In fact, I'm going to check out the PTO input to the ECU to see if that will raise the idle speed, which would sure be nice at times.

But, I did get the carb back to where it should be today.  I stewed on it last night and decided I'd do what I've done before on AFB's that were acting up - blow air through the idle mix screw holes.  (Kinda nice having onboard air!)  So that's what I did this morning as well as checked the choke for functioning and the metering rods for being installed correctly.  (How can you mess up a metering rod install?)  All else was spot-on, so apparently the compressed air did the trick as I then had to screw the idle mix screws in almost a turn as the idle was too rich.  And overall the AFR was still a bit too rich, but that's far better than the way too lean we saw yesterday.  So we are happy with it.

John - Yes we did have that discussion, and now we are back to where we were so should have left them alone.  Rich is better than lean.  (But spot-on would be best.)

Dave - You can't see the other end of the cable.  

Bob - If you remember that spot then you'll remember the rocks.  I thought I could get past the rocks with the right side tires on the top of the berm.  But the left side tires hit the edge of the rocks and bumped us over the berm.  Lesson learned - go over the rock!  Stay off the berm!

And yes, it is great to meet others and help/get help.  Mike, the gentleman we met, has been tagging along ever since.  Just before we met him he'd been told by someone coming down that he shouldn't be there with his 2020 Toyota 4Runner.  But after helping us he asked if he could follow us and he's gone everywhere we've gone.  In fact, we went over Cinnamon Pass and then up into American Basin today and had a blast.  And we are going some where tomorrow with Mike, we just don't know where.

Speaking of that, we've done everything we thought we'd do save for Black Bear, and we don't think we are up for that this trip, and The Wall, which we went up to yesterday and I don't want to attempt.  So tomorrow we may do something easy.  Like Last Dollar Road and either Ophir or Imogene back to Ouray.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Gary Lewis wrote
....  Bob - If you remember that spot then you'll remember the rocks.  I thought I could get past the rocks with the right side tires on the top of the berm.  But the left side tires hit the edge of the rocks and bumped us over the berm.  Lesson learned - go over the rock!  Stay off the berm!
It's a little counter-intuitive at first, but often hitting the rocks (with the tires) is the best path, frequently better than trying to go around them, especially with a larger vehicle.

Gary Lewis wrote
....  Speaking of that, we've done everything we thought we'd do save for Black Bear, and we don't think we are up for that this trip, and The Wall, which we went up to yesterday and I don't want to attempt.  So tomorrow we may do something easy.  Like Last Dollar Road and either Ophir or Imogene back to Ouray.

I think those are good calls, specifically because they are YOUR calls.  You can see what you want to do or not.  Maybe some time in the future, with a little more experience, you'll be able to enjoy tackling The Wall or Black Bear.  Or maybe some time in the future you'll continue to enjoy not tackling them!  The goal is just to have fun, it doesn't matter how.

And if you think back on most of my trip reports, the last day or two usually tends to be an easier trail.  Somehow that often seems like that's the way to have the most fun after pushing yourself for a few days!
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bob - Yes, it is counter-intuitive.  But we learned - quickly.

As for the decisions, we are happy with them.  And we've done some things we weren't sure we could do.  And Big Blue took it all in stride.  Today several really steep and rough switchbacks were taking in 2nd or even 3rd gear where yesterday it would stall at the worst times and be hard to start.  But we seen to have gotten that sorted.

As for coming back, he mentioned trying Black Bear "next time".  

And while today was an easier day because we took 550 to Silverton and then up to Animas Forks, Cinnamon Pass and American Basin.  But there were lots of challenging sections, like those switchbacks.  So tomorrow may be another relaxing day.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Today was our last day and we head out tomorrow.  I'll post a bunch of pics and more info after I get home, but I'll add a few more details here.

Today we explored Porphyry Gulch, Black Bear Pass, and Colorado 825.  The pic below was taken from CO 825, and Porphyry Gulch is visible to the left, and Black Bear is visible to the right.  And to make sure you understand, we just went to the top of the pass and didn't go down the switchbacks.

And now for some notes about the trip and the truck, which I'll explore later:

My brother is constantly singing the praises of Big Blue.  He really likes the engine, the suspension, the tires, the whole package.

Today the engine ran very well, even though the AFR was rich.  And we pulled the grade to Black Bear in 3rd gear.  It is strong, but EFI is going to make it even better.

The compressor is awesome!  I turn it on before we hit the end of the trail and that means you have 200 psi on tap, and at that pressure it takes 30 seconds to bring a tire from 15 to 30 psi.  And while the pressure goes down as you fill the tires, it never takes as much as 60 seconds - even for 8 tires as we frequently filled Mike's tires as well as Big Blue's.

We used the OX locker a few times and it worked perfectly.  It is quick to come in and pulls you right up over the rocks.  But the Truetrac out back works so well that it is is rare that the OX is needed.

But on the down side, the visibility over the hood is really poor as you crest a hill.  Our friend Mike has a forward-looking camera and it makes a huge difference in his ability to see what is ahead of him. So I'm now thinking I want to add a forward-looking camera as well as a backup camera.  Hopefully I can find one that uses the rearview mirror as the display.

Anyway, pics and lots more detail is coming - after I get home.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Awesome! Beautiful picture!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
grumpin wrote
Awesome! Beautiful picture!
X2 what Dane said!
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
Sounds like you're having a great trip!

I'd never heard of Porphyry Gulch or Colorado 825.  I did find them on the map this morning though.  I'm glad you had the opportunity to do some fresh exploring!

It definitely took me a few trips to get the carbs dialed in on both my old Jeep and my Bronco.  Yes, EFI is nicer.  But I kind of like the looks of admiration I get when someone sees (and smells!) my Bronco on the trail and says "you're still running a carb on that?"  I know you'll like EFI, but I'm sticking with a carb.

But I am jealous of your compressor!  I don't see fitting all of that into my Bronco, but I'd sure like something faster than what I have.

I'm glad you're liking the electric OX.  I sure like my pneumatic one.  And I was wondering how the TrueTrac was working out for you.  I've had a little less success with the one in my pickup.  It works great if both rear tires get some traction, but with one tire on ice (which I deal with in my pickup) or in the air (more a hardcore rock thing) it's no so good.

Yeah, visibility over the hood of my Bronco is pretty terrible (I've posted some pictures on past threads).  An F-series certainly won't be better!  Jeep came out with a forward facing trail cam in the Gladiator which gave a lot of people that idea.  It's intriguing, but I think I'm sticking with more of an old-school vibe.  I have seen people set up mounts for their phone or tablet and use those for cameras and nav systems.  So that's another option for you to consider.

Looking forward to more reports and pictures!  (and video???)
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bob - I suggested Last Dollar Road into Telluride and then Ophir or Imogene to come home.  But Mike didn't think that was a good idea for two reasons: first, LDR is "just a gravel road"; second, there was a foot race from Ouray to Telluride over Imogene so it was closed to vehicle traffic.

So he suggested Porphyry Gulch, and we are glad he did.  That trail comes off of the Black Bear trail and it is narrow and steep in places.  But it was the views that were just stunning!  I'll post more pics, but the one below is of my brother talking to his wife from close to the top of the trail.  And from that point we could see 550 in three different places as it comes down from Red Mountain Pass.  Just an awesome view.

As for carb vs EFI, we did get a "Wow, it has a carb!" from a young guy on top of Black Bear yesterday.  But we got so many other "Wow" remarks just for the truck that we can forgo the ones for the carb.  (We just won't pop the hood.)

As for the compressor, I gave the truck an "air bath" last evening.  It is amazing how much dust 160 PSI air will blow off.  

On the camera, I'm hoping I can find a camera/mirror combo that I can use for both rear as well as forward views.  That way I can put a camera on the front bumper and see as we crest a hill.

But we had absolutely no problem with the Truetrac.  Traction was never a problem, and we locked the front diff only as a precaution.

As for more pics and reports, I hope to start on them tomorrow or Tuesday.  The Lord willing I'll get home tomorrow afternoon as we are in Pratt, KS at the moment so don't have too far to go.

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Those are beautiful pictures, Gary. What are you shooting them with? Safe travels!
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Those were shot with my iPhone X and downsized in Photoshop to ~500kb for the forum. I have others shot with a Nikon point & shoot that I’ve not processed yet.

Thanks for the wishes. The Lord willing I’ll be home by 1:00 today. Trip is going quite well.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Thanks for posting the gorgeous photos and on-the-go updates. I enjoy builds and projects but especially like to see them come to fruition for their intended use. This is just great! I’m so glad you got to go and I’m glad that Big Blue performed well for you 😀
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jonathan.  

I'm home and am processing pictures.  Lots of pics.  

In total it looks like we traveled 1950 miles.  I've not yet gassed up to get the final figures, but we got ~11+ MPG on the road running ~70 MPH on speed control, both of which hurt the gas mileage.  (Almost typed "economy" but 11 MPG seems to be far from economical.)  But on the trails it was more like 3 MPG.

And other than the carburetion issue and the door hitting the fender we had no problems.  Oh yes, the built-in GMRS radio doesn't work well, and I'm guessing that there's something awry in the antenna lead I shortened.  But the two handhelds let us communicate with Mike pretty well, so we got by.

I hope to post some pics and details of each day tomorrow.