69 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gary's Trailer Quest

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
But, what I don't want to do is to pick a color that will clash with either of my tow trucks.  
Black?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
According to Fred, black is about the last color to choose. Something like 90% of the other trailers are black, so it’ll never be noticed if stolen.

Janey has suggested a medium gray or Forest Green.

My brother suggested silver, but liked the Ford engine blue idea, but which one?

Jim has suggested Blue to go with my tow vehicles, but which blue?

As I think about it, my thoughts are that I want a color that is different and easily-spotted - but not pink. And, I don’t want it to clash with my tow trucks. Plus, it would be good to be able to easily buy a can of exactly that color in order to touch it up.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Another good reason not to go with black is visibility. Most trailers don't have many lights compared to cars and can be hard to see at night. Silver, white, or lighter grey will make it a lot easier to see.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good thinking.  👍

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ctubutis
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Denver Broncos orange & blue.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ctubutis wrote
Denver Broncos orange & blue.

Either color by itself would be fine, but taken together 🙈.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
What is "Miller's blue"?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oddly enough, Sherwin-Williams denied knowledge of it. But, I suspect it is Miller welder Blue.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Probably a single stage color from their automotive division.

Why not?
It IS noticable
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
One thing that I want to ensure is that I can get the paint easily in order to touch up the trailer. So I want to go with something that is off-the-shelf. Something that would preferably be available in a spray can.

Since he uses SH paint, I need to contact them to see what would be easily available.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
These days you can get anything mixed in a spray can at the auto paint shop.
$10-12 for single stage non metallic.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Sorry a little late to this.
First a link to some pictures of my trailer so you can see what works for me.
cars.grantskingdom.com/var/resizes/70-Javelin-Racecar/b_roken0051.jpg

cars.grantskingdom.com/var/resizes/70-Javelin-Racecar/b_roken0045.jpg

cars.grantskingdom.com/var/resizes/Durango/GAD_V_Rig1.jpg

I never worried about 1 axle caring more load than the other and never had any issues.
I have had full size Blazers and a Chevy van on it with on issues.

I don't like dove tail trailers as the rear of the trailer is now closer to the ground so it can hit going in or out of driveways. Now that may not be bad if going forward but what if trying to back into a driveway and it digs in?

My ramps are long so that helps getting things on/off the trailer. If the hump is too much, low sitting car, at the top of the ramps I can jack up the front of the trailer.

Put a tool box on the trailer! After moving the tie downs, chains, etc. from truck to truck it gets old fast.
Who said it has to be above the "A" frame? It could be mounted so the top of the box is even with the top rails for the "A"

Fenders, some trailers you can remove them by pulling 2 pins, 1 front & 1 rear.
My fenders do not remove but are strong enough to drive on if I had to. I do have a crease in one where the tire fell off the fender and the wheel/rim hit the fender.
Drive over makes the deck higher and that puts the load CG higher, think handling.

How long is big blue? Would a 24' deck be better so you have more room to move what ever to balance the load. Also with a longer bed what ever you have on it would not hang off the back as much.
With the pictures of my drag car it does hang off the back some but never had anyone hit it.
You would also have room to put parts on the unused deck. See the rear axle in front of my drag car on the deck?

As for color black or white, maybe even silver goes with everything. Now you said black would not be seen if it "drove off". If the trailer is parked in a storage lot then maybe it will go missing?
Mine have been parked in my drive (CT) or by my garage (NC) far off the road and never had any issues with anyone "looking it over". Lock the hitch and they make locking wedges for the wheels.

I also never had anyone "almost" hit my shorter 1 car trailers (a blue and the black one above) but many times "almost" hit the long YELLOW 2 car trailer. People just don't look!

Because my trailers were open decks I could use any of the trailers cross members to strap the load down to. But the above trailer does have 2 rings off the back CM and 1 up front.

Winch and how to wire it? 2 speed hand winch works just fine for me for the few times I needed it. The cable does hit the last 2 or so cross members but so what, it's not going to hurt it, just watch the hook clears them.

If I ever "up grade" it will be a 24' enclosed trailer so I have another "garage & storage".
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dave!  Where have you been?  NOW you come in with information?  After I've ordered the trailer?  

LOL!  I do appreciate your info, however late it is, but the die has been cast, the order placed, etc.  But, driveover fenders don't need to make the deck any higher.  My guy said the only difference between his normal fenders and his driver-overs is that he brings the deck out flush with the outside of the fender - and welds the fender to the deck.  That way the fender has support all along its front and back edges, and since he uses 8" channel for the fenders, that's enough to support anything you want to put on them.  

And, I appreciate your color suggestions.  I'm still debating that one.

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Crazy work hours so have not been on any forums.
Because of the hours I have not done a lot on my project either

It maybe too late for you to used any of what I posted but may help others that may need trailer information.
One thing I did not point out on the fenders. If they stick up high, kind of like mine, and you pull on low cars you may not be able to open the doors to get out or in.
I would climb out the window and reach in and roll the window up the best I could and hope no rain.

I would also say hit a few race tracks and take a walk thru the truck/trailer area if you can to see how others have their trailers set up.

Good luck with the trailer
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Brought the trailer home today.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Where's the green with envy emoticon?

I thought you were going with *anything* but black?
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I was going with Gunmetal Gray.  But somehow he forgot and painted it black.  I guess it'll do.  

But the key is how it tows, and so far it tows very well.  Have only pulled it 40 miles or so, but it is easy to forget it is back there.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You need to build a powder coating oven big enough to turn it old Ford blue.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I have a friend who has a metal fab business, and he has an oven long enough to take truck frames. But not a trailer. 😳

Grumpin - Thanks. 😉

I think the first use of the trailer will be to take the mower to the dealer. It has a spindle bearing going out, and it is still under warranty.