GM one-wire alternator

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GM one-wire alternator

71_badmach
Good afternoon everyone.  I'm a recent member to the forum, and have been perusing the excellent reference material for some time now.  I have a question along the lines of alternator conversions.  

I'm doing a serpentine conversion on my 85 302 EFI truck, and the kit came with the GM one-wire alternator.  I have read the 3G conversion page, and plan to do the one wire output with a new wire/fuse and hook to the battery or solenoid.  I would think this alternator would follow the same rationale as the 3G since it is internally regulated.  

My question is, do you delete the original voltage regulator on the fender when you do this swap?  Looking at the schematics/dwgs the area of my concern is C-610.  It looks like I would cut the distributor lead B/O wire downstream of the Yellow wire and Y/LG splice and the O/LB lead is not used.  Also, the LG/R and Y/W dot wires are then disconnected.  Seems like this would be easier if the Y and Y/LG splice were on the other side of the connector, but there is a red wire in a piece of molded plastic that goes to the R/O wire on the other side.  Not sure any of this is making sense in words .  

Bottom line, I suppose is as long as I put the alternator output on the battery connections, and disconnect the LG/R wire leaving the rest hooked to the solenoid through the fusible link, I should be OK?  

If there is already a forum topic on this please point me to it, I did search and didn't find anything specific to this.  Thanks everyone.  
Dave
85 F150 EFI 302
Ohio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: GM one-wire alternator

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm sorry, I got lost in your description.  But, I believe the one-wire should install just like a 3G as shown on the diagram below, which is from the Ammeter & Voltmeter tab on the page at Documentation/Electrical/3G Alternator Conversion.  However, that diagram doesn't show the needed fuse or fuse link which you can see in the 2nd diagram.

The difference between the 3G and a "1 wire" is that the 3G has the Y/W sense wire and the LG/R bootstrap wire which the 1 wire doesn't - at least not externally.  You can see those wires in the diagram on the Wiring It tab on that page:

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by 71_badmach
If you use a normal GM alternator, they do use an idiot light to one of the two side pins. The fender mounted regulator is not needed with either a GM one wire or Ford 2 or 3G units as it is integral to the alternator.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

71_badmach
OK, along the way I was thinking... get rid of the fender mounted voltage regulator.  Thanks Gary as well for the schematics, I had seen them on the topic Upgrades page.  

I was trying to describe the existing harness splices and connectors and what I could eliminate, sorry for the rambling paragraph and wire colors.  If the existing external voltage regulator goes away, I think I can do away with the C-610 altogether.  Then, the DG and O wires (with fusible links on both and spliced to a piece of yellow wire in my harness) can be connected to the solenoid battery side.  

Granted, this will take the ammeter gauge out altogether, (lose R/O and Y/LG wires) but I plan to do some other sort of idiot light in the future.  

In looking at the wiring diagrams for the 1985 Electrical Systems, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something else in the wiring path.  
Dave
85 F150 EFI 302
Ohio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks like you have it figured out.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

71_badmach
Gary, I hope so.  I read your and Bill's profile information and feel like I should call y'all Mr. Gary and Mr. Bill.  I'm 52 .  I feel like I'm in good hands here on this website, and appreciate the inputs today.  

I was going to try and upload a picture of my voltage regulator and the harness beyond the C-610 connector that I'm deleting, but trying to go from the phone to the computer is proving difficult.  

I am also "upgrading" from the stock 85 EFI to Edelbrock's ProFlo 4 EFI setup.  I hope to report good results  eventually... still waiting on some parts and need to plumb fuel and figure some electrical connections yet.  

Thanks again for the input and information.  

Dave

Dave
85 F150 EFI 302
Ohio
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
You can if you want, I have two kids older than you and one younger. I can't say that I blame you for wanting to improve on the 1985/86 EFI system, what I am running and Gary will be is Ford's best system for these older push rod engines, the EEC-V that was introduced initially with the 1994.5 Powerstroke and in 1995 on the Lincoln Continentals with the 4.6L DOHC V8.

Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into what you want from your truck and how to arrive there, that is half the battle. As Gary can tell you, he is a bit more on planning things on paper, but he has a degree, where as I was told by my department manager at my retirement, that I was one of the two best non-degreed engineers he had ever met, and we both worked for him. I have always been very good at visualizing what I want, even to being able to visualize it in motion, then making it work.

I will be interested in how it turns out.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You can call Bill whatever you want, but no "Mister" for me, please.  My usual response to that is "My father isn't here."  But I just want to be one of the gang.

Yes, as Bill said we are into upgrading the fuel system on our trucks.  He's already there and I'm in the process of getting it going on a carb and then switching to EFI.

So I, too, am interested in how it works for you.  Please keep us up to speed.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Mr. Bill was on Saturday Night Live!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I went with the one wire on my rebuild and love it. Physically it may be slightly different as it's marketed as a 'Ford Upgrade' but same difference.
I would highly recommend the Rocketman gauge conversion. It is nice to know that the alt has kicked in. It has only happened once during tuning the motor but it didn't hit the rpm threshold and the alt didn't kick in till I gave it a bump. Something that will normally happen in daily use amyways.

I would also consider getting a spare alt harness that you cut up. That way if ever needed, you can easily swap back.
Here is the diagram of mine although the fuse portion changed somewhat as seen here: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/The-Camano-Experience-tp35327p48433.html

Keep us updated!
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by grumpin
grumpin wrote
Mr. Bill was on Saturday Night Live!
OH NOO!      ðŸ˜±

Splat, squish or smoosh.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

71_badmach
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Scott, many thanks for the schematic!  I will definitely look into the gauge conversion once I get things back up and running (currently doing Fuel Injection upgrade).  

From the schematic, the top Yellow Wire with 60A fuse I think in my harness will be the Yellow splice wire for the Dark Green (with fusible link) and Orange (with fusible link) power feeds.  So far, I have disconnected the C610 connector and associated voltage regulator and wires.  This leaves the gauge wiring (LG-R, R-O, Y-LG) in the connector but not hooked up.  

I find the oil pressure switch to choke coming from the relay to be interesting?  

Appreciate the inputs/information.  I'm by no means a mechanic, I'd say I am an interested "hobbyist".  I also miss my truck, since my son has a paying yard cutting gig that you just need a truck for.  He will have his license next year, so my plan is for him to drive the 85 back and forth to school, with A/C no less!  
Dave
85 F150 EFI 302
Ohio
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
71_badmach wrote
I find the oil pressure switch to choke coming from the relay to be interesting?  
That was another change during implementation  I am taking the factory wire after the factory oil pressure switch and triggering the choke relay using that. No reason to add another switch when the 86 460 had it in my case.

Sounds like this will be a great project and daily driver for your son.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio