Assigned: Bruce moose4x4 at priority
(Normal)
55 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fuel Line Fix

Bruce moose4x4
I searched through my stash of holleys. did not find a fuel bowl with the emissions tube on it, but I have another place or two to look. I think my buddy has the one I was thinking about he is checking tomorrow.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Bullnose Gator
Bullnose Gator wrote
Hey Bruce, let me know if you think you do have a fuel bowl.  The more I think about this the more I'm thinking it may be best to just replace the bowl since I have to take it off anyway.  That way I don't have to mess with the inlet fitting adaptor and new inline fuel filter.  

Based on the illustrations mine looks to be the Motorcraft 4180C 4-V model.  Thanks in advance for letting me know if you can dig one up.
From the parts and illustration guide the bowl has a reference number of 9A507.

In section 95.5 for Holley 4/B for 8 cylinder 351 and 460 engines has three different numbers.  I was only able to find one of them but like usual the seller has no photo of the item on their store page so you may have to contact them for a photo.

Carb Part List 5A - 5C / Part # D9PZ-9A507-D (CM-3216)
Carb Part List 5D / Part # D9PZ-9A507-C (CM-3219)
Carb Part List 5E - 5M / Part # E5PZ-9A507-B (CM-4448)

Yours could be any of the above cause D9 = 1979 design date and E5 = 1985 design date.

The one I found online NOS for $44 is the CM-4448 one.

https://btsautoparts.com/products/carburetor-float-bowl-cm-4448-motorcraft-new-old-stock-no-box
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
In reply to this post by Bruce moose4x4
Bruce moose4x4 wrote
I searched through my stash of holleys. did not find a fuel bowl with the emissions tube on it, but I have another place or two to look. I think my buddy has the one I was thinking about he is checking tomorrow.
Thanks, Bruce.  
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
1986 F250 XLT Lariat Supercab 4x4 Manual 460
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
Rusty_S85 wrote
Bullnose Gator wrote
Hey Bruce, let me know if you think you do have a fuel bowl.  The more I think about this the more I'm thinking it may be best to just replace the bowl since I have to take it off anyway.  That way I don't have to mess with the inlet fitting adaptor and new inline fuel filter.  

Based on the illustrations mine looks to be the Motorcraft 4180C 4-V model.  Thanks in advance for letting me know if you can dig one up.
From the parts and illustration guide the bowl has a reference number of 9A507.

In section 95.5 for Holley 4/B for 8 cylinder 351 and 460 engines has three different numbers.  I was only able to find one of them but like usual the seller has no photo of the item on their store page so you may have to contact them for a photo.

Carb Part List 5A - 5C / Part # D9PZ-9A507-D (CM-3216)
Carb Part List 5D / Part # D9PZ-9A507-C (CM-3219)
Carb Part List 5E - 5M / Part # E5PZ-9A507-B (CM-4448)

Yours could be any of the above cause D9 = 1979 design date and E5 = 1985 design date.

The one I found online NOS for $44 is the CM-4448 one.

https://btsautoparts.com/products/carburetor-float-bowl-cm-4448-motorcraft-new-old-stock-no-box
Really appreciate you looking this up.  I'll give them a call and see if I can get a picture.  
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85
Looks right to me, what do you think?

Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's the one!
Jump on it.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Great, you think I can get the right gasket and O-rings from Holley?
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
I found one, but i haven't pulled it all apart to check the threads. The accelerator pump screw holes sometimes are bad depending on who put it together. Can check it in the next few days, (been dealing with my sick mom). Let me know if you want it. Have a good day. It would be free.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Bruce moose4x4 wrote
I found one, but i haven't pulled it all apart to check the threads. The accelerator pump screw holes sometimes are bad depending on who put it together. Can check it in the next few days, (been dealing with my sick mom). Let me know if you want it. Have a good day. It would be free.

Thanks a lot, Bruce and sorry to hear about your mom.  I'll go ahead and order the one Rusty found and save you the trouble of taking it apart and shipping.  If the one I order doesn't work I may take you up on that offer, but more likely I'll be so frustrated by that point that I blow money on a whole new carb lol.  
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Yes, you can get the right parts. (Holley made it after all)
And the blue Holley bowl gaskets are the ones to use.

But do take note of that rebuild kit number. It is the only one that works.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
Don't blow money on a new carb, they are to easy to clean and rebuild. If nothing else send it to me and I'll rebuild it for you.
There is a number on the front of the choke horn, use that number to get a kit or gaskets for it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Can't thank yall enough for all the help.  Bruce, that's far too kind, I hope I don't have to accept that generous offer.  I think you've just given me the confidence I need to push through it! I'm going to pull the fuel bowl off tomorrow and, hopefully, have a better understanding of what I'll need to do.  Stay tuned, I'll definitely be back to bug yall some more real soon.
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
In reply to this post by Bruce moose4x4
I'm very happy to say that, thanks to you guys (especially Bruce), I put the new fuel bowl in and rebuilt the fuel line today and it seems to be good to go!

I ended up doing a hybrid metal/hose line for now just to make sure the new bowl was working. It allowed me to use hose higher off the manifold so heat shouldn't be an issue for a while until I make a new metal line.

Thanks again for all of the help, a novice like me definitely couldn't have figured it out without you pros.
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  Glad you got it going.  And kudos to Bruce!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI