(Normal)
55 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fuel Line Fix

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The more I think about it, the more I think it was a 1" thread, and I used the #55140
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-2468-55140.aspx

You can check the thread OD with a caliper or just an adjustable wrench and a rule.

Wish I could be more help.
Maybe Bill knows for sure?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
If that doesn't work, I may have an old carb bowl laying around in all my Holley parts.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks so much for the effort yall are putting into helping me with this.  I had to leave her back in my home town until I can figure out the fix.  I literally said to her like a crazy man "don't worry, girl.  I'm not leaving you forever, I'll be back and I'll get you right again." lol And I will.
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
1986 F250 XLT Lariat Supercab 4x4 Manual 460
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
How do you "tag" people in this forum? I'd like to tag Bruce and thank him for his offer, but I don't know how.
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Jeremy,
Just above the [Post Message] button when you reply, you will see a button [Assignment]

You click that box, choose assign, then a username from the alphabetical list and a priority.

I'm going to tag you at priority 3. Normal, so you can see how it works from the recipient's end.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Is the self tapping fitting something that will install ok without removing the carb?  I'm not sure how hard it is to cut the new threads and whether or not I can do it properly as it sits in the truck.  

Also, please let me know what inline fuel filter you recommend I get since I won't be able to use the original filter anymore, thanks.
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I imagine it's possible to get it on square to the existing threads, but I'm pretty sure I removed that front float bowl and did it in a vise where I had a straight shot at it and gravity on my side.

Easier to make certain it is clean and free of any tapping debris too.

I don't recall what I used for a filter back when I still had the 4180.
My newer carbs all have right hand feed and I am using a bigger metal filter with 8mm ends and a 90° sweep on the outlet
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
In reply to this post by Bullnose Gator
I've never done any carb work, how difficult is it to remove the float bowl?  Seems like that is the best way to make sure I get it in and cleaned right.
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There are only four screws holding the float bowl to the front metering block.
But you will probably want a new gasket and a new rubber seal for the transfer tube going to the rear.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
And, make SURE you put lube on the seals for the transfer tube as you put the tube on and the bowl back on.  The seal/o-ring has to slide into the recesses in the bowls, and w/o lube they'll be ruined and leak.  Don't ask.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Thanks.  I don't have the truck with me so I can't check the carb for an ID tag, as you instruct in the carb section of the documentation.  Do you know what kind of carb I likely have so I can order the gasket/seal and look up instructions for how to remove/replace bowl/gasket/seal?
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
These 460's only came with a Motorcraft 4180 carb built by Holley.

There were a few models over the years but to the best of my knowledge the ones in Pickups never had four corner idle like my Mustang did.

That means you need a very specific rebuild kit (3-1346) if you ever intend to completely disassemble it.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Did someone call me?  

There should be a tag on the carb to give you the #, but if not you can get there via the calibration code if you have it.  It will be on a label on the valve cover.

If you don't have that then go to the page entitled CALIBRATION INFO & PART #'S to get it for your truck.

And you'll want some tech support, which you can find in the section of the factory shop manual here: Documentation/Fuel Systems/Carburetors, Chokes, & EFI/Holley 4180C.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Ok, so after looking at the illustration, it looks like I need to order a Primary Fuel Bowl Gasket and the Transfer Tube O-rings, based on what you guys have told me.  What kind of lube should I put on the Transfer Tube O-rings?  
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes.

I've used Vaseline on the o-rings, but even wheel bearing grease would do.  Or oil.  You don't need much.  You just need the o-ring to slide in w/o twisting and trying to roll over the raised ring on the transfer tube.  If it does it'll get pinched and is likely to get damaged.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Bullnose Gator
I use Superlube grease in the silver tube today, but we always used to use Vaseline.
What really matters is that the tube can slide the seal all the way to the bottom of the pocket without it pinching or rolling.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Ha!
I didn't see your reply, Gary.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
Sounds simple enough (famous last words), thanks guys.  What kind of inline fuel filter should I install?
Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Bullnose Gator
In reply to this post by Bruce moose4x4
Hey Bruce, let me know if you think you do have a fuel bowl.  The more I think about this the more I'm thinking it may be best to just replace the bowl since I have to take it off anyway.  That way I don't have to mess with the inlet fitting adaptor and new inline fuel filter.  

Based on the illustrations mine looks to be the Motorcraft 4180C 4-V model.  Thanks in advance for letting me know if you can dig one up.

Jeremy - Oviedo, FL
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
Will do, I just got to work, I will check tomorrow morning and let you know tomorrow afternoon sometime.
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6