Flareside Bed to Frame Bolts / Mounts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Flareside Bed to Frame Bolts / Mounts

TechnoViking
Looking for the mounting points for a flareside bed. My 82 is missing all but the front 2 corner bolts and the bed floor was replaced with sheet metal. Hoping someone can share photos from a build or at least a service manual diagram that details the mount locations between the bed and frame. I've seen references to wood block kits but don't have a good reference for how & where they are installed. Hopefully this is something I can solve with materials from the local hardware store.
- EJ

1982 F-150 4x2 300ci C6 Flareside
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Flareside Bed to Frame Bolts / Mounts

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We have some info that might help:

Documentation/Exterior/BEDS, TAILGATES, & COMPONENTS: Show factory illustrations, bed bolt part numbers and dimensions, etc

Documentation/Suspension & Steering/BODY MOUNTS: Has similar info but also has a table for where we've measured the holes in the frame to be.

Hope that helps.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
the flareside should be held on with 6 bolts. the fronts are easy to find the rear are easy to find yet the center two are above the axle (slightly behind) in the position nearest the brake line anchor point and the equivalent on the passenger side. if the ribs are still in place, then it should be easily accessible from underneath. however, if holes need to be drilled then it might be a challenge from the frame area.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
mat in tn wrote
the flareside should be held on with 6 bolts.
The 80's Flareside beds had 8 mounting bolts. The 1992-1996 Flareside had 6 bolts (I think?).

Here's what the factory bed crossmembers look like. The front two bolts go through the front sill to the frame, and the rear two sets of bolts go through the rear sill into the frame. The two sets in the center go through two of the three middle crossmembers. There are 5 pairs of wooden blocks, and all 5 pairs are different.

Here's what it looks like with the washers in place, before I put the bolts in:

I used all new crossmembers and sills on the bed from Mar-K in Oklahoma.

After this truck, I built a second Flareside bed, but this one almost complete from scratch. For the three middle crossmembers, I used 1/8" channel steel...2" wide, with 1" sides, cut to fit. I then cut the wood blocks at home, and sized them all to fit. I drilled 5/8" holes through them with a spade bit so that the 1/2" bed to frame bolts would fit with clearance. For this bed, I used stainless 1/2" carriage bolts.

I can answer most questions about these beds...and I have lots of pics, but not every single detail unfortunately.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by TechnoViking
The OEM style bolts with the large Phillips head are available as reproductions in zinc and polished stainless.

https://bedwood.com/products/1976-1987-ford-short-flareside-bolt-kits?variant=32846458880054¤cy=USD&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu4bO-dyphQMVoDnUAR3COACHEA0YASABEgJXs_D_BwE

They are not inexpensive, but they exist. Hardware store carriage bolts can also work, but you have to get creative to hold them while tightening the nut. I’ve seen people grind a slot in them so they can be stayed with a large flat screw driver. But then they need painting to prevent rust…
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by Rembrant
mines a 93 so that's where I get that. but no wood floor. but that blue truck is beautiful.