Engine run stand wiring.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Engine run stand wiring.

Frogger2662
A buddy of mine is building an engine run stand for his ford sb.
Keeping it as simple as possible.
No altenator.
No electric fan.
Can someone post a link to a fairly simple wiring diagram?Other than the starter cables what gauge
wire can I use?
1984 F150 Flareside
1992 stock 5.0 with edelbrock 4 barrel.
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Engine run stand wiring.

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We don't have a wiring diagram for such a simple system.  But the one below is probably the easiest to use.  You'll need battery power, and if you are using a DS-II ignition module and distributor you'll need a ballast resistor of about 1 ohm.  The parts stores used to carry a white ballast resistor that would work nicely.  Run the power through that to the hot side of the coil and battery power to the red wire of the DS-II module.  And then wire the distributor and coil to the module as shown.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Frogger2662
All you need is power to the coil, a momentary button  for the starter relay and maybe 7V to the choke?
Is he going to have instrumentation?
What's he using for ignition?
An HEI would definitely be the simplest solution.
You don't need a resistor, module, coil or anything but power
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Frogger2662
Thanks. I will pass that info on to him.
1984 F150 Flareside
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
All you need is power to the coil, a momentary button  for the starter relay and maybe 7V to the choke?
Is he going to have instrumentation?
What's he using for ignition?
An HEI would definitely be the simplest solution.
You don't need a resistor, module, coil or anything but power
Jim - Help me understand.  Are you saying that with the HEI you "don't need a resistor, module, coil or anything but power" or that's all you need with any ignition?  I understand and agree with the HEI not needing anything else, but how does that work with DS-II?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It doesn't "work with DSII," it replaces it entirely

ALL-IN-ONE

There's not much to grasp. 🤷‍♂️
The coil and ignition module are in the distributor cap.
It's like everything GM, one wire...
If you want a tach there's a second wire, leading to that
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My confusion was the way you worded it as it wasn't obvious that the need for power to just the coil was for the HEI solution.  But I agree with you, the easiest approach would be to go with HEI as there's just the power to it and you are done.

Reply | Threaded
|

Frogger2662
Not sure what he is actually going to run in the truck. I have an hei that I can loan him to run the motor in. Thanks.
1984 F150 Flareside
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I wasn't meaning to be obtuse.
I've got a vocabulary, and I use it
 Jim,