Engine Sludge

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Engine Sludge

Powerman5K
When I got my truck I knew there was a couple gaskets leaking. Yesterday I removed the valve cover and the side lifter rod cover (forget the name). No surprise, I found several huge holes in the gasket. What did surprise me was the amount of sludge in there.

First Question: Is this normal?

Second Question: What's the best method for cleaning out the sludge?

I used degreaser on the covers. Can I use the same stuff on the head if I plug the drain holes that lead to the oil pan?

I have attached photos. I'm sorry as I'm pretty sure there is a special format to get them to come though but I don't remember what it is. Let me know if they work or how to change them.
1980 F100 Custom. Inline 6. Power steering. 3 on the Column.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Engine Sludge

Gary Lewis
Administrator
OH MY GOODNESS!  You win the prize for sludge!  

I've never seen anything like that.  That's awful, and you'll have to be very careful getting rid of it.

Yes, you can plug the drain holes in the head and use degreaser.  But I think I'd start with a putty knife and get as much out as you can by hand to give the degreaser a fighting chance.

But, what you can't see is what is in the pan, and there is surely similar stuff down there.  David/1986F150Six has a story about the stuff in the pan of his 300 that let go and plugged the oil pump pickup screen, and he had to have a mechanic pull the pan and clean it out to get the flow going again.

I don't really know what to tell you about the best approach to prevent that.  But you might consider biting the bullet and pulling the pan while you are at it, 'cause you stand a very real chance of having all of whatever is down there coming loose and plugging the pickup.

Or, you could  and use some ATF in the oil, changing frequently, and hope for the best.  But I wouldn't plan any long trips until you get it clean for fear that it'll let go while on the trip and strand you.

And to add more to David's story, he had been changing oil religiously for years and had driven the truck on several long trips, only to have it happen an hour into a 600 mile trip.  Luckily he was able to limp home with no damage, but it was a near miss.  The point being, that you won't know what is "down there" for years - unless you pull the pan.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Best way to remove it? B12 Chemtool.

Best way to plug your pickup? Also B12 chemtool. Several oil changes and pan drops later I'm having junk come out of my wife's Kia Sedona after doing that... and it wasn't as bad as this!

As indestructible as 300's are, I'd honestly say that the "best" option would be pulling the engine for a rebuild. Either this thing was fed a steady diet of vintage Pennzoil/Quaker state conventional (Pennsylvania oil is notorious for excessive moisture that causes sludge like this) or it never saw oil changes. Either way goodness know what else is jacked up... bearings, rings/bore, etc.

Otherwise, if you use any sort of a flush, you'll be at risk of debris coming loose and plugging your pickup at the worst possible time. Over and over again... lots of pan drops, which is especially no fun on an RWD vehicle!
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
please consider this. if you choose to use a detergent like atf, it may not work as hoped. it will not necessarily wash this away from the surface to the block, it may just as easily dissolve the chunks bond to where it accumulated, freeing large and small flakes and chunks and then create a log jam so to speak at any number of points on the way down. pulling the pan is by far the best plan. I would slow down and consider a few more points before going too deeply.
what is the goal of the truck?
how many miles are on the engine?
what service is it really due for?
then make an honest assessment so that you don't spend three thousand trying not to spend two
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
Thanks for all the thoughts. I'm going to take Gary's approach (which is the same I used to clean the covers) and putty knife first then go at it with the degreaser. Does anyone know how many/where the drain holes are located? I will also drop the pan. I'm sure that gasket is toast too. Not going to use ATF as I don't want chunks floating around in there. I really don't want to do a complete engine rebuild. This is just a fun project truck that I bought from a friend because the price was right.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
you may find this a burden or a labor of love. it's different for everyone but around here it seems to be more of the latter. there is nothing like building or having built your own. I love all the thumbs up I get when driving my "baby bronco". but it's really bullnoses for me !
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

ford4wd08
In reply to this post by mat in tn
What is this baby Bronco you speak of???
Jordan
Papaw's Heirlooms
'87 F350 Cab & Chassis Dually with Aluminum Flatbed
Carb'ed 460, ZF5 S-42, 4x4, Dana 60 Solid Axle, Sterling Rear 3.55 Gears
'85 Ford Bronco II 2.8, V6 Duraspark Conversion, A4LD Auto, 4x4
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
David - That's a must-read for anyone with an engine that hasn't been well maintained.  For it to happen to you after all of your babying over the years is proof that it can happen to anyone.  Thanks for sharing that link.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by ford4wd08
I built this 1984 bronco 2 in 2020 due to being placed on a covid hiatus. No boredom for me! No breeom
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
In reply to this post by Powerman5K
It has taken a ton of time and effort but after 1 round of cleaning this is what it looks like. I started with the putty knife then moved to a degreaser. After that, about 3 cans of Brake Cleaner. All the while using a small steel wire brush and a shop vac. My question now is, how clean should I be aiming for? I feel like it is unrealistic to think I'm going to get it all with all those nooks and crannies. FYI, I used ear plugs to plug up the drain holes. They worked well and should minimize contamination in the oil pan. When I'm done cleaning, I'll drop the oil pan to clean it out well too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think you've done really well.  It is unrealistic to expect to get everything, and it is really unnecessary to get it that clean.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
perfection is not really the point, but oil flow is. the fewer bits there are to clog the pickup screen the better. and then routinely using a good detergent oil should help too. keep in mind that the bearings may already be a little compromised from the poor oil so don't go shifting at 6500. haha.  
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
WOWis all I can say on the before pictures

If you are going to pull the oil pan why use ear plugs to plug the drain back holes?
I know with the price of gas you dont want to use it but if there was something like it you could use.
I would drain the oil leave the plug out and using gas pour it over the head to wash anything there down into the pan and out.

It will also break up anything in the pan and wash it out.
You could then filter what came out and pour it back over the head and lifter area till they car clean.
Then drop the oil pan.

The other thing I would do is pull each push rod and make sure they are clean and can pass oil up to the rockers. Now the lifters could be plugged but you will know the push rods are clean.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
great point about the pushrods. the lifters could be a worry too but here we go down that rabbit hole.
Reply | Threaded
|

Powerman5K
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
Good idea with the gas flushing the system. I've heard old timers say they would clean engines with kerosene. I have some of that laying around that I'd be willing to part with. Could I use that to flush it?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You can use kerosene, but as it isn't as thin/volatile as gasoline it won't cut the crud loose quite as well.  However, at the price of gas and if you have some kerosene then it would be worth a try.  It sure can't hurt anything.

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I have a buddy who swears by starting fluid to clean engine blocks. He warned me to wear a mask for the fumes if I ever do it.
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

IowaTom
I believe that about starting fluid.  It'll take the chrome off a trailer hitch!
That the engine was running at all with that muddy sludge is a testament to the stoutness of the 300!
'85 F150 XLT 4X4 with 300 c.i. six & NP435 four speed.
'63 Studebaker Avanti - 350/TH350
'59 Rambler Super - OHV 6 with 3-speed OD
'58 Studebaker Scotsman sedan - 289 with 3-speed OD