155 messages Options
1 ... 5678
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Elyza Dual-little. 1985 F350 DRW

FuzzFace2
rcarlisle wrote
You may have worse luck than me.  Wait!  You do, because I have your carpet.  I want to paint some, but dreading the process, especially acquiring the paint, tape, paper, etc.  

But I leaned a lesson right there from you.  Open that paint away from truck.
Paint would be the hardest to come by in my book.
Unless you have a auto paint supply store near by.

The tan masking tape in 3/4" and news paper, dont be hating I have used it for years before the so called pros say not to. Besides if you are not painting in a paint booth you will have more dirt than new paper lint in the paint job.

Thing is when using new paper you need to fold the edge of the paper under a few inches then put the tape on the folded edge. The 2 layers of paper keeps paint soaking through to the below area.

Now I did buy a taping machine when I did my truck as I also have at least 1 may be 2 cars I want to paint so it will pay off I got it. I also dont get the news paper so I would need to find that and I am not going to buy it just to use for painting LOL.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gsmblue
Gsmblue wrote
Ha! Yep!! Important lesson.

I would also say an ambient temp of 65-75F would be ideal.

When i come back to this in the spring i am going to get 8 more cans and finish all the exterior touch up - especially the roof!

I have learnt so much from this, i am excited to start prepping the Bronco for her summer paint job - not rattlecans…
After all the spray cans you bought would it have been cheaper to buy a small 110 volt compressor that you can use for anything after, a HF HVLP spray gun and the needed supplies to do the job?
I also think your finger would thank you
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Dave , in short. YES.

I do plan on actually investing in some kind of painting system next year. For the other vehicles. This was supposed to be : quick, cheap and dirty.

At least the last part worked out.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
We have a lot of paint stores around here.   And a lot of body shops.   I used to help a guy with race car in summers and in winter, he painted cars to pay for race car parts.  I helped him tape and yes, I agree about newspaper.   We still have alocal daily paper too, that will sell end rolls of blank paper for pretty cheap.  I believe in quality masking tape, no matter what color.   Just for the ease of operation.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
I have a pancake compressor - used to have a spray gun - not sure where it got off too.   But Harbor freight will hook me up 0 I might actually go that real paint route...  you're giving me ideas.  None of which will be cheap on a POS looking truck.   I don't want it to look restored.  I love the "survivor" vibe.
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Gsmblue wrote
Dave , in short. YES.

I do plan on actually investing in some kind of painting system next year. For the other vehicles. This was supposed to be : quick, cheap and dirty.

At least the last part worked out.
Is it " quick, cheap and dirty" pick the 2 you want

See if you had all the stuff in place for next year now you would get some "test time" before you do the next project.

rcarlisle wrote
We have a lot of paint stores around here.   And a lot of body shops.   I used to help a guy with race car in summers and in winter, he painted cars to pay for race car parts.  I helped him tape and yes, I agree about newspaper.   We still have alocal daily paper too, that will sell end rolls of blank paper for pretty cheap.  I believe in quality masking tape, no matter what color.   Just for the ease of operation.
Yes on good quality tape, think I went with 3M as I trust it over the others I seen on line when O bought the tape.

rcarlisle wrote
I have a pancake compressor - used to have a spray gun - not sure where it got off too.   But Harbor freight will hook me up 0 I might actually go that real paint route...  you're giving me ideas.  None of which will be cheap on a POS looking truck.   I don't want it to look restored.  I love the "survivor" vibe.
I dont know if that pancake will cut it.
I had a 30 gallon Craftsman 220v and it had a hard time keeping up when I painted my Gremlin.
The only timg that king of saved my it was not a metal flake color.
It also did not do good with my air powered DA sander when I used it in my last home garage.

That is when I stepped up to a 80 gallon 2 stage 220v pro type compressor.
It was used in a 5 bay truck repair garage so I figured it would be more than good in my little 1 car garage. Little did I know I would move and get a 3 bay garage so I installed 5 air hose drops like a real garage
I even built a air drier from base board fin tube used for heating to get the water out of the system.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Definitely going to be doing a ton of practice. I have 220V in my RV garage so running a real compressor will not be an issue.

The ultimate plan is to pull the RV our of my garage and drop some sheeting to partition it off, install filters and fans. Get a 220V 80G Compressor installed and lean to paint :)

Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Today was new battery day… don’t you love those?

$170 for a duralast from autozone. Put the little felt things down, sprayed the goo on top. Fired right up and went for a 20min spin. This truck is awesome!

The Clearcoat on the roof is done, going to have to sand it off when we get some warmer weather and fix it up.

Still toying with the idea of going full spray set up, but I think that may be next year just due to the cost and time, my work is going crazy right now and I don’t have the time I did last summer…

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
$170 isn't bad.  My batteries are much more expensive than that, and I have two of them - Big and Bigger.

I wouldn't hurry on the paint.  Enjoy the truck for a while.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Great day today. Put the 1-ton to work with 500sqft of WET sod and four humans - one pint sized who asked, “where’s the map?” 🤦‍♂️ A reference to the giant screens in his parents modern vehicles.

We drove 104.1 miles, 10.5mpg. ~$60 for ethanol free. Not too shabby for a 460 with 96k on the clock. I did have to use the granny gear when we were loaded up.

Elyza rode so smooth with a full load. Once we were free of the load my friend and I were really feeling the bouncing. Was a fun day helping a friends parents out.

I got a steak lunch for my troubles and a very fulfilling day to boot. I was offer some $$ for gas etc and flat out refused it. Was just happy to have this workhorse put a good lap in.

For reference. At the sod farm, a very modern silverado 2500 had a similar pallet dropped in the back and the driver waved it out… his truck was pointing to the moon. No disrespect to his truck. Wet sod is a 1-ton or trailer job, I think.

"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  That's a lot of weight!  

And you are right, 10.5 MPG is not too shabby.

Well done, Elyza!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gsmblue wrote
his truck was pointing to the moon.

Front wheels touching ground from time to time, just enough to stay on track.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gsmblue wrote
Well, its official.

I ordered the wrong size carpet and that is why I can’t make it fit.

Pretty mad at myself as i had to make cuts to try and get it in. I did not have the original to compare it too.

So, anyone want a slightly hacked carpet???

It is from stock interiors, regatta blue, super cab.  NOT CREW CAB.
Is it still available? lol. I might be able to use it. I did a full black rubber floor in my supercab....I kind of miss the carpet honestly.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Ray Cecil wrote
Is it still available? lol. I might be able to use it. I did a full black rubber floor in my supercab....I kind of miss the carpet honestly.
I don't think it is.  We worked a deal and the carpet is in my truck now.  FWIW, the super cab carpet works pretty durn good in a regular cab.  The extra length ran up the back wall to the window trim.  Trim holds it in place.

Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Indeed, Randy took it off my hands.

"Eylza Dual-little"
1 ... 5678