Electrical distribution and lighting upgrades?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
45 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Electrical distribution and lighting upgrades?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
So those are clones?  Are they really Phillips and are clones of Trucklites?  Or clones of Phillips?    (Makes me wonder if my Starbucks Verona coffee that was literally just delivered is a clone.)

Anyway, I'll be very curious to see what you think of them.  And what the other drivers think of them.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
My understanding is that they're a Phillips design in the same vein as reflector Truck-Lites... with very similar performance and quality but at a much more palatable cost.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by ratdude747
Got the rewiring done yesterday.

New Layout:

Fuse cover off:

In the new setup, a dedicated 4 gauge cable runs directly to the starter (PMGR) with a 12 gauge pigtail to connect to everything else (as mentioned in a prior post, this is the exact same cable I used to redo the ground side awhile back). That pigtail runs to the new fuse panel, whose positive feed post also connects to the starter solenoid (10 gauge) and "main" fusible link... or what was left of it. I removed some nasty looking splices from the main fusible link where it had blown and I and others had patched it in the past; in the pictures, it's the yellow to pink spade connection in the lower right.

The ground pigtail has been moved from a direct splice feed to the EEC and radio grounds to the ground portion of the fuse panel; such grounds have been moved to grounding bars of the panel. Also, the trailer brake controller ground and trailer 7-way ground have been moved from the battery post clamp to the ground bars.

On the fuse panel (which I will label later), in the pics, on the left side from top to bottom is the trailer brake power (30A fuse, will be a 40A breaker when such come in the mail next week) and 7 way power (20A, is on 12 gauge wire to the plug so could be more if I wanted). On the right side, from top to bottom is the switched radio power (CB, TPMS, and radio igniton signal; relay switched, 10A), unswitched radio power (Radio battery power and 2x "clean" power points, 15A), and the EEC fusible link (20A, originally was fusilble link protected only).

Here it is all tied up:

Looks a lot cleaner... and it worked on a test drive (and seems to be cranking a bit faster???). New lights aren't in yet, so here's what my low and bright beam patterns currently look like:

We shall see what the Phillips LEDs look like.

Progress?
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Progress is good, Larry!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, progress!

But when you take pics of the new lights use the settings your camera used for these lights.  Set your camera to Manual and dial in the f-stop, shutter speed, and ISO to match.  Then you can compare the pics.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Lights came in. Here's some test results:

Cuttoff line test using the truck of a compact car:

Performance is very good... night and day difference, pardon the pun.

IMHO best bang for buck with 5x7 LED retrofit units.

I'll get cosmetic pics tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Nice!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Another note: due to these lights being 12V-24V rated (has a switching converter in the LED driver), the brighteness is constant across all "normal" voltages. Heck, they don't even dim or flicker when cranking... and I'm not running a relay harness. Heck, I still haven't gotten to replacing my suspicious headlight switch.

What that does mean is that unlike resistive bulbs, at lower voltages the lights will draw more current, not less... as to maintain a the internal LED current/voltage, the power draw is more or less consistent (per whatever the efficiency curve of the internal driver is) and power is a combination of voltage and current. Not that it matters since they draw a lot less power than halogens- only 14W per the specs (presumably the highest power high beam, which uses all LEDs in the module).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Larry - The output looks good.  And the cutoff line is impressive.  

But I suggest you use Daniel Stern's directions for aiming them.  I'll bet they aren't aimed properly - mine weren't when I changed out the shells & bulbs.  And that makes a big difference.

You have a good point about the voltage, and one I'd not thought about.  I've done the math on how much light I'm losing on Big Blue since the battery voltage goes down to 13.9V when the regulator sees high temps, and it is significant.  So to have the light output not vary is great.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
This post was updated on .
I did aim the RH light... it was way off. I haven't fine tuned it... would like to find a set of Hoppy aimers as I don't have immediate access to 25' of level ground with a place to aim (my driveway isn't super flat).

Edit- Found a set for a really good price:

https://www.facebook.com/commerce/products/hoppy-headlight-aimer/6094230550596053

I'll either pick them up this weekend or have them shipped, pending on what the seller comes back with on a shipping estimate (and how adventurous I feel like being).
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Damn, I have most of a set in the factory carrying case. If you find another set I would love to get it. I have a nice level garage floor to be able to use them.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Level floor not required. The knobs are for compensation and part of the units are used to set the value (and  if you use the same spot every time, one can just write down the values and preset them when aiming).

Video on how to use these:

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is really cool, Larry!  I hope you get it.  Do your headlights have those three little nibs?  My Koitos don't have those, so I wonder how that is handled?

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
They have them.

Oh, right, pictures...

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Bought the aimers. Should be here on Saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Sounds good! I got your email, and sent an offer. That looks like there is only one aimer which will give me three. Thanks!
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Yep. Figured that might be of interest to you.

---

40A breakers came in. The fuse panel cover isn't meant for breaker use though, but a drill, utility knife, snips, and a file fixed that problem:

For future reference, on these panels one one of the two break-offs on the fuse legs needs removed to fit flush.

Working on a fuse chart to keep in the glove box... for a period Ford didn't label fuse boxes either (RTM to find the chart, at least on my 1995 Ranger), so I guess such isn't completely a cop-out?
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
And the Fuse Layout (deleted post, redone due to a minor error in the document):

F150_Fuse_Panel_Layout.ods

F150_Fuse_Panel_Layout.xlsx
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks good, Larry.  And documenting it is a great idea.  I did that on Big Blue and have already used it a couple of times.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Larry, he accepted my offer ($40) and will ship Monday (doubtful as it is a holiday) so I now will have three aimers and all the attachments.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile