Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Deer killed my Bullnose... Mangled the front

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sounds like a plan, Stan.  Good luck!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Trip was a bust. Two 4.9 84's, but with a lot of rust and no a/c (wrong radiator and shroud). I did get a splash shield... And since one had an AOD too, I got a "correct" ECU to try too (instead of the manual one I have now).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!  At least you tried.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by ratdude747
ratdude747 wrote
Trip was a bust. Two 4.9 84's, but with a lot of rust and no a/c (wrong radiator and shroud). I did get a splash shield... And since one had an AOD too, I got a "correct" ECU to try too (instead of the manual one I have now).
If you have what is left of the old shroud, LMC posts you need a number off it to get the right one.
I would have to check but I think I got my shroud from Dennis Carpenter and was a really good price and picked up 2 so I could make 1 to fit my truck as I did not have one to get numbers off of.
I only used 1 and had to trim a 1/4" off each side so it would sit flush to the radiator, other wise it was a bolt up.
Dave ----

edit: I think I got my new radiator from Rock Auto
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
It's in chunks.

The part number off it (I did get that before tossing them in the trash, which hasn't gone out yet) is E2TA-8146-RA.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here we go again: Any number on a part is not a part number.  It is either an Engineering or ID #, depending on what Ford publication you are looking at.

Why is that important?  Because usually you cannot look an ID # up in the Master Parts Catalog.  But in some cases you can, and shrouds happens to be one of them as the people that put the MPC together added the ID #'s in the Description column.  This is rare, but very helpful.

Below is part of the info from our page at Documentation/Cooling Systems/Shroud Part #'s and you can see the E2TA-RA, which is shorthand as the "8146 is understood".  And that item is part number E2TZ 8146-C and fits an 82/84 with either Super Cooling or A/C.

But there was a previous version of it, with ID # E0TA-AA that also fits.  So if you were to go to a salvage you'd want to be looking for either of those #'s.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Ah. What was at the yard wasn't that... Single core with a fan "guard" up top rather than a true "shroud" around the fan. Marked specifically "not equipped for A/C". It did have dealer air though... Clearly they cheaped out and didn't upgrade the cooling at the same time ...
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Here we go again: Any number on a part is not a part number.  It is either an Engineering or ID #, depending on what Ford publication you are looking at.

Why is that important?  Because usually you cannot look an ID # up in the Master Parts Catalog.  But in some cases you can, and shrouds happens to be one of them as the people that put the MPC together added the ID #'s in the Description column.  This is rare, but very helpful.

Below is part of the info from our page at Documentation/Cooling Systems/Shroud Part #'s and you can see the E2TA-RA, which is shorthand as the "8146 is understood".  And that item is part number E2TZ 8146-C and fits an 82/84 with either Super Cooling or A/C.

But there was a previous version of it, with ID # E0TA-AA that also fits.  So if you were to go to a salvage you'd want to be looking for either of those #'s.

True Gary but LMC wants that number in order to get the right shroud for the truck.
IIRC I think its because of the 2 different ways Ford mounted the radiators but could be all wrong also?

My radiator has rubber cups at the bottom the side tanks fit in and 2 2 part brackets that fit over the tanks at the top.

The the shroud slips into 2 clips at the bottom that are also clipped to the radiator and the top uses 2 bolts to the top of the radiator.

That shroud is for a newer truck with a 300 (94?) and I needed to trim 1/4" off each side for it to sit flush to the radiator.

I see in 1 of my pictures a box from NPD? I wounder what I got from them, radiator or shroud as it is about that same size? If you need me to look I might be able to find out.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nemesis F150
In reply to this post by ratdude747
ratdude747 wrote
It's in chunks. The part number off it (I did get that before tossing them in the trash, which hasn't gone out yet) ...
Saved, Whew! "Plan B", jig up the pieces using the screw holes where it mounts on the radiator, or make a plywood jig with the screw holes, and re-assemble the puzzle pieces (what there are) using the screw holes as fixed points. If some pieces are missing then patch what one can.

If and when a replacement can be found then the old one can be changed out. The plywood jig can be saved to ensure the holes on the prospective "found" one match up. If there is another damaged shroud then maybe some pieces can be salvaged from it to improve the assembled shroud "puzzle".
-= John =- 1985 F-150 EFI 302/5.0L dual tanks, long-wide bed, "heavy-half"
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I don't have that many of them... it was a cracked up mess, with several chunks lost at the accident site.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
What do we have here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203574716654?hash=item2f65ffa8ee:g:S-MAAOSwr5JhHcCh

Noted... now I just need a radiator...

Edit- never mind... it's out of a 1990. I saw new ones for the later application for the same price. As noted above it could work (especially if I go to the later design, plastic tank aversion be darned).
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Mine was for a later truck I just dont remember the year now.
Because the picture of my shroud was on a NPD box I went and looked.
https://www.npdlink.com/1980-1996-ford-truck/heating-cooling/radiator-fan-shroud-and-components/fan-shroud
I would need to check the other shroud to see if that is who I got mine from.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
All that's in stock are the 1995-1996 ones. The 1990-1994 ones are out of stock

Seems to be the story with everything... out of stock. *sigh*
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Let me check over the weekend what one I bought but being I am cheap I think I went with the $16 one but again let me check to 2nd one I bought if I had to make 1 shroud from 2.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Ok I checked the 2nd shroud I bought if I had to make 1 out of 2 and it is from NPD as the box is un-opened and marked for my 81 F100 300 six with AC.
I could not find a part number on the box but I am 100% sure I would not of bought 2 shrouds at $35 ea to make 1 to work.
So I am sure I bought the $15 ea ones but just a little trimming off each side with a body saw and it fit like a glove.
Here you can see the lip on each side of the shroud that I needed to trim to drop down into place.

IIRC it was either the shroud or radiator that came with the clips at the bottom the shroud fits into, think it was the shroud.
For $15 how can you go wrong if it dose not fit was the way I looked at it?
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
The show is over and Gary and possibly others supplied a significant portion of the needed parts to help in getting this Bullnose back on the road. The parts were loaded and readied for the return trip to Indiana.

The communications and efforts provided by the members of this forum are unbelievable when compared to the dialog of some other forums.

Gary, I know that I speak for most of the forum members when I say that we know how much you give of yourself [financially and time wise] for others and to that we offer a big THANK YOU! I hope that others remember to do the same.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
This post was updated on .
Absolutely. Thank You All! 

Been busy getting back to Indiana, and today, junkyarding parts to fill in the blanks

Between the show and today's run I have everything but a radiator, fan clutch, grille emblem, and receiver drier. I did get a 1990 dual core shroud in excellent condition as an option (was sitting on the truck, already removed!). Pics later...

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Good to hear it is coming together.
I know when it first happened it had to feel like the end of the world
Now that he dust has settled and parts in hand it's not all that bad is it.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Welcome!  Glad it is coming together.

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
This post was updated on .
Took a look at the 1990 fan shroud... looks like it's a winner. If it doesn't fit on the old radiator, it's pretty close to it; the tabs and screw holes match (the clips are on the radiator) and per a check with one of the remaining chunks of the old shroud, the center hole is in the right place! I did nearly pull (well pulled and left behind) a 1992 radiator from a 4.9 with factory air... the shroud on it was a zip tied mess and the 1990 shroud didn't match. It also seemed a bit thin but on reinspection it's no thinner than what was on there (other than the tank without a a tranny cooler being thinner too). The 1990 shroud is engineering number F0TA-8146-F, indicating that it is a 1990 design. Unlike the 1984 one, this one is made of fiber reinforced plastic (like the one on my 1995 Ranger) and is marked "Barnum Bros Fiber Co.". Doesn't have any ribs like the old one but feels a lot stiffer/stronger than the old design.

Did some unloading once I finally made it home tonight. A few pics (out of order):

Pile of fun on a trailer:

The fender already is the correct base color (silver); I can mask off the center area and paint the rest black when I do the hood and lower valance. The paint in that area is already in good shape other than the old foam from the emblems (which I was able to recover from the old fender, along with the partially straightened aluminum trim).

Speaking of trim: there are no studs for the upper trim on the new fender:

It looks like they were projection (spot) welded on... in the repair world, how would I emulate that? Small screws?

Transferred turn signals into the surrounds Machspeed gave me (pictured with the grille he gave me and the surround bars I pulled today):

Speaking of Machspeed, thanks to him, it's now an official bullnose:

Next move is to figure out radiators... as that will dictate what I do and don't have to do to the core supports in terms of bracket transfers (which presumably is easier done off-the-truck).

Edit- On ebay aluminum welded radiators for the 1985+ application are $150ish shipped. Would need to get the rubber bushings if I went that route though... which I don't have (U-shaped for the lowers, round donuts for the uppers).