classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
138 messages Options
12345 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Deer killed my Bullnose... Mangled the front

salans7
I'll see what I might have laying around still and if I find anything I'll list it too.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Got the driver's side fender and condenser off. Radiator support is only held on by the front cab mounts... the bushings are toast but at least the bolts don't look too rusty. Only had three fasteners break; one of the passenger splash shield to radiator support screws snapped, and had two speed nuts split, one irrecoverably (at least until I have the radiator support off and can get to it better). Also had a weld/insert nut come free, but that was on the mangled radiator support.

Driver's side splash shield and hood latch are also toast... the latch might be straigtenable, it was bent up pretty bad.

Radiator got split:

Cut the condenser lines with bolt cutters in an attempt to limit moisture (the reciever drier is toast, this is just to ensure the compressor doesn't get corroded)

Tossed out a lot of plastic:

Am saving at least part of this upper valance (or whatever it's called)... the vacuum tag is still intact. may be a good garage decoration?

I get the redneck award for keeping the hood up with a fender removed:

As for that fender, based on my experience on the driver's side, I should be able to loosen a few bolts and reposition it. Probably got shoved a bit in the wreck.

---

I appriciate the response on looking for parts. Gee, maybe I need to bring my trailer after all; the ranger has a bumper hitch and a 4 wire connector. However, a backup camera in the way of the hitch (maybe), a rot hole in the rear frame, worn trailer tires, and the bad combo of 4R55E and a 3:08 8.8 tell say don't do that! At least it has a 7' bed so short of the bedliner I was originally going to pick up, I have options...
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Interesting, definitely could have been worse.

Good idea keeping the emissions tag (probably not the correct terminology).

I like the hood prop!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I've done some looking and I don't have a fender.  Nor do I have a fender liner I can part with.  But, I do have these items which you are welcome to, Larry.

Hood: It was used at church camp and got spray painted and then messages were added.  But I believe it is dent free and under the spray paint is light surface rust where the factory paint had gone away.  EDIT: Oops, in the pic I spotted a bend in the edge, as shown in the circle.  

Condenser: It is out of Dad's truck, so is an '81.  And from our page at Documentation/HVAC/HVAC Systems it looks like all the Bullnose trucks with gas engines used the same one.

As for a radiator support, I have the one that I took off of Big Blue.  But there are four issues with it.  First, it is from an '85 and the radiators mount differently on the '85 and later supports.  However, if you go with a later radiator then it'll bolt in.  Or, you may be able to mod that later support to take the earlier radiator.  I know it can be done the other way 'round, as shown on the 85+ Radiator In An Earlier Support tab on our page at Documentation/Cooling Systems/Radiator Supports.

And there's a chunk out of that support, although you might be able to graft that piece in from your support.  Plus there's rust in the lower corners, as shown in the pics.

Oh yes, I have a radiator as well, but it is from Dad's truck so is for a V8 and the hose connections are swapped on the 300 six.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Don't sweat the hood... it's not as bad as mine, but mine doesn't *need* repainting to look "right" (no more than the rest of the truck ), plus I'd almost feel bad removing works of praise to our Lord and Savior!

If the condenser is in good condition (no leaks to your knowledge), I'll take it.

I'll have to think about the radiator support... I need all the braces and the like too (which obviously you kept for your truck), so that'll probably be an afternoon at the junkyard. Are all the weld nuts in OK shape? Is the later year radiator any better performing or easier to obtain?
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
The Ranger is a Ford.  And for one show David/1986F150Six had to turn back when his truck developed oiling problems and he and his wife brought their Aztec.  So on one is going to boo you here.

Just glad you made it home safely.
At that meet, Bill [aka NumberDummy] told me that the Aztec was possibly the ugliest vehicle ever built and he credited it with the demise of Pontiac!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Larry - I may have the braces, but I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to.  I've parted out several trucks so have parts, but just need to make sure I keep a set for Dad's truck.  So, can you show me pics of what you need?

David - Yep, I remember that well.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
The three vertical members that mount to the front of the radiator support. The middle one holds the hood latch.

Here's two of them:

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
It wasn't the ugliest.

The Fiat Multipla gets that dishonor:

My understanding is that as ugly as the Aztec is, at least it was functional... function over form?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ratdude747 wrote
It wasn't the ugliest.

The Fiat Multipla gets that dishonor:

My understanding is that as ugly as the Aztec is, at least it was functional... function over form?
YES!  We called that vehicle Lurch when we were in Europe.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ratdude747
I may have those brackets, Larry.  I'll look tomorrow.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Thinking of you trucks demise as I had a trip through the mountains today.

Just got done passing an RV and slow vehicle in the passing lane and I spot a big deer and hit the brakes, wasn’t close but they do weird things.

Wasn’t a big deer, it was two small elk. Second elk came out a second later. Glad it wasn’t close and we all had room to brake.

Edit: add text
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You'se guys are making up my mind.  Two weeks from this morning I'm leaving to pick up my brother and we are headed to Pueblo that night, and then on to Ouray the next day.  I've been debating what time to leave that morning, but this discussion has helped me realize that I'd better wait until there is plenty of light as I start out driving through an area with a high population of deer.

Once we leave my home town of Ark City, KS we'll be out onto the plains with less chance of finding deer.  But that first 50 miles or so will have a high chance of finding them, and I want to see them well in advance.

Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
I hit one at about 50 mph a couple years back. He went under and bent the front bumper down low (that truck was leveled). But not content to stop there, he used his horns to damage part of the fuel cooling device under the truck (it was a 2018 with all that fancy stuff, since sold), then he somehow managed to tear the front of one dually fender with his horn.

After all that, he scampered off in my rear view mirror. As if unscathed.

So yes, damage to the side in a frontal with a deer is not uncommon in Texas.

I wish I had pics of a Porsche I once saw in Germany. There was only a small hole in the front of the car. But if you knelt down and peered in you could see chewed grass and bits of flesh and bone about 2' in.  The driver was no doubt enjoying Germany's fine Autobahn at high speed. A foot higher and driver would have died.

They do taste good though.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

RenoHuskerDu
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
It was astonishing during my 18 years in yurrup to see the various odd vehicles that were only available on the continent. This Fiat is indeed fugly, but at least has some variety to it.  In the 2000s, all cars started to look more alike. Insufferable castrated blobs with rounded fronts and hatch backs.

I drove a lifted Range Rover Classic with a loud V8 to be different. Gas was $6/gal so I drove less. The French would shudder and look the other way. While working in Paris, I drove a 1991 BMW 750is with  no v12 badges on him.  heh heh heh, surprised quite a few smug Porsche drivers when it took them a mile to finally catch and pass.

Shame about yurrup now. We came home after the Nice event.  Not willing to subject my kids to that risk. Back in TX a few months later, I spotted a restaurant in Levallois-Perret where a mozzie had stolen a car to run over some cops on the sidewalk. Sure enough, I'd eaten there many times, it was near my old office.

Good to be back in the USA.
Reno in Central Texas, 86 F250 XLT Lariat eclb 2wd 6.9, plus 2 Bricknoses, 1 Aeronose that's getting a Bullnose front clip, and parts trucks. Busy lads, father and sons wrenchers.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by grumpin
Short of the hood and splashshield, completed the teardown:

Turns out the fan clutch got tagged, so it needs replacement too. The fan itself seems to be OK though.

Unlike my ranger, I don't have an overspecc'd alternator, so a PWM fan swap ain't in the cards. Oh well. Usually such aren't expensive.

Also, despite being popped off, the P/S belt actually looked OK (no visible damage), so I put it back on (retensioned).

I also realigned the passenger side fender so the door easily clears. Took some prystick magic but I got it. No pic though, sorry!
Reply | Threaded
|

Nemesis F150
You're making a lot of progress and its looking much better now. One might say, 'cleaned up a bit'.
-= John =- 1985 F-150 EFI 302/5.0L dual tanks, long-wide bed, "heavy-half"
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Wow!  You've accomplished a lot in a few days and it's awesome that so many have offered up parts and such.   I've seen way worse on FB that folks are digging in to as projects.   It would make me sick if Walter took a hit like that.   On our road, I have seen up to 7 deer crossing at a time.   So I'm always hypervigilant there, but would be a surprise any where else.  

I did hit one with a Chrysler Town & Country once on the beginning of a long weekend training trip and had to get in and out of the passenger side til I got home.   I called my body shop buddy and he said just do what I had to and he'd fix it all later, which he did.  

It sucks, but there are parts trucks poppiing up on FB all the time, if you can actually get in touch with them and make a deal.  

Good luck getting it all fixed back.   I'm sure you will.
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Larry - More bits and pieces.  First, I do have the brackets for the grille and hood latch:

And I do have an extra fan clutch, although it came from a 1990 F250 w/a 460 so should be an E9TZ 8A616-L.  You can see the various part numbers at Documentation/Cooling System/COOLING FAN #'S & ILLUSTRATIONS, although that # isn't shown as it is for a later truck and I didn't include them.  I can't say if it is good, nor if it'll even bolt up, but it is yours if you want it.

Last, I have two shrouds, but one has a chunk out of it so I'm showing this one that has the tops of the bolt holes broken out.  However, many of them are like that and the shrouds still work.

Anyway, as shown in the pic on the left, the ID # is E0TA 8146-EF.  That decodes, using the Rosetta Stone that Bill/Numberdummy gave me, to E0TZ 8146-C.  But unfortunately by the time the '94 version of the 1980-89 MPC was published that part number had been replaced so you won't find it in Documenation/Cooling System/Shroud Part #'s.  Given that I climbed to the Microfiche Tower and put in the 1982 MPC fiche.  Sure enough it shows in that version and fits 1981 255's, 1980 302's, 1982 351W's, 1980-81 351M's, and 1980 - 82 400's.  But apparently it isn't a perfect fit for a 300 Six, although I don't know why.

However, it measures 28 3/8" wide and 22 1/4' high and has an opening of 21" high and 22" wide.  (Yep, it isn't round.)  So you can measure yours and see if it might fit.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Late to the thread but glad to hear you are ok.
If I recall correctly you will be coming through this area (Springfield, MO) to get to the show so if there are still some parts needed, we might be able to schedule some time in the local jy.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
12345 ... 7