classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
112 messages Options
1234 ... 6
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Day 1 with my 1Honey

Clutch47
A friend sent me a FBMP ad, and a few days later it was in my driveway.
  I've been looking for a 2wd worth buying for a few years, and with the recent surge in popularity and price of all Ford trucks I thought all hope was lost until the market moved on to the next cool thing.
 It's a 300-6/C6 truck with the absolute bottom options. Just heat and defrost.
The trans crossmember is pretty crusty and may get replaced. The floors and frame are OK and the rockers aren't bad either.
   I'll clean it up and put the rust killer I'm fond of everywhere and run it.
I have questions.

- is it a pony?

- is the crossmember different for the AOD trucks ? I have an AOD all done with a 2K converter on the shelf and that would give me a better 1st gear ratio and OD too.

I'm going to try adding pictures. Let's see how this goes.

All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
69 Merc Montego convertible 393 4V Cleveland
86 LTD Crown Vic 2 door sedan 347 AOD
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Day 1 with my 1Honey

mat in tn
 welcome. I like the truck but as you know we all do here. I'm not sure about what you are asking about when you say "pony". as for the aod, it is a common upgrade that I do. in fact, I swapped an aod into my 86 sb a few months ago. I removed the c6 and I will say that it took me many years to decide to do so. it has been my old reliable truck for over thirty years. however, I do aod swaps and its awkward to sell it if I won't do it. there are many things to consider. number one is that the c6 is a better transmission. they did not attempt the aod behind the 460 or diesels. for good reason! but if you set it up correctly there is no reason that you should not love it.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
According to the factory documentation the AOD (AOT) was never available behind a 351 either.

There's a good reason for this, in stock form.  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
I'm not sure about what you are asking about when you say "pony".
Gary may have to remind us of the full story or post some of the Ford "faux" documentation, but in the early 80's literature there was a "Pony" option. If I recall correctly, it was supposedly a super fuel efficient package where the truck was spec'd out with a 300 inline six, a 4spd O/D trans, and a 2.73 9" rear diff, or something like that. They were bare bones optionless pickups with 300, OD, and tall geared rear diffs.

I'm not sure that they ever even existed...except in some documentation. It was like an option name that Ford intended to market, but did not.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Check this thread for some information and comments on the "Pony" option:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Fuel-Saver-Option-tp18596.html
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
"Pony" seems like the stripper optioned fleet truck that utility companies were bound to run back then.

You don't need much speed or capacity to read or change a meter. (electric, water or gas)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Check the page at Documentation/Bullnose FAQ’s and then the 1982-83 F100 Pony tab.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Clutch47
In reply to this post by Clutch47
Since I've joined this forum and initially saw the pony literature, it kinda made me think this truck could have been similarly equipped.
300/6 and basically nothing else. No dash vents at all, just heat on your feet and defrost on the windshield. AM radio. Literally as bare bones as it gets.
My 69 Montego is the same.
   I'll post pics of the door tag later when I get up there.

I've been in between homes as I just moved, and the timing of this truck falling into my lap couldn't have been worse. My friend knew I'd been looking for years for something like this and kinda sent me the ad as a joke. I contact the guy and he offered me a superb price if I came before Christmas.
      Deal done.

As far as the AOD swap goes, I've had a few of them and C6s too.
   Once built properly, the AOD suits me better, and will be fine.
 I have one in my Crown Vic that is not only tight and properly controlled now, but I've added a simple solenoid controlled OD lockout that came with the valve body I got years ago from silverfox transmission.
   So it's almost an FMX in an aluminum case with 4th gear now living happily behind 409tq at the tire.
All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V
Reply | Threaded
|

Clutch47
Just took these.
  I'll go attempt to decode as much as I can.
Looking at the mileage and the wear on the brake/gas pedal pads, steering wheel and considering how snug the column feels, I'm considering the mileage to be authentic.
    The door hinges are tight and the ignition switch seems to be snug with no slop.
I'll figure out how to turn these pictures somehow 🤣

All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
this sounds as though you have an aod"e". there are no electronics inside an aod. no, the neutral safety is not internal electronics. if you do decide to use the aode then you will need to add an on-board trans controller too. adding an ecu to such a basic vehicle feels wrong to me but I don't judge. I have used hgms computer controller doing this and it works wonderfully. and syncs to my phone where I can tune it with an app. all plug and play install also. I prefer the aod simply because it is totally hydraulic and stays very simple. tv cable adjustment is the most critical.
Reply | Threaded
|

Clutch47
It's not an AODE.
It's the original 1986 AOD from my Vic that has been built.
Check this out.
http://http://www.silverfoxtrans.com/valveBodies.html#vbsptr
All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V
Reply | Threaded
|

Clutch47
Here's a shot of the silverfox valve body installed with the OD lockout servo wires poking out. We installed a Sonnax OD servo too. Reminds me of Candy Crush brains..
All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Help Captain Crunch find his way.

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Clutch47
Hysterical.
  I'll always be a Cap'n Crunch fan.
All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
correct. aod. yet a well modified one. what other mods were done aside from the a+ servo and lockout option? any inside the valve body or just in the case like the picture?
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I thought manual transmission was standard and any auto transmission was an option?
With that I would think 3 on the tree would be standard and any other manual like the T18 / NP435 would be options a long with any auto?

Your truck have power brakes or steering?
Think them would also be options?
My 81 F100 flare side had PS, T18, flare side and 2 tone paint from the factory no other options that I know of.
In my 4 year frame off rebuild of the truck I have added other factory options and some that Ford should have had like dual tanks on a flare side.

I will be following the work you will be doing on your project.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Clutch47
In reply to this post by mat in tn
In the AOD rebuild we used Alto severe duty/police service drums and clutches, and replaced all the bearings we could.
It got a Pro torque converter 2200 stall and I can't remember what else. We didn't add an external tailshaft lube circuit because it just doesn't need it for my application.
 I can tell you the thing holds the gears perfectly now. Dan at Silverfox set the valve body up for my car's weight and torque numbers specifically. He builds each one.

The transmission options offered at the time seem appropriate to me but I gotta say if it would been built with the 3 on the tree I'd be leaving it. Converting it has crossed my mind, as well as adding the dual tanks or a larger one. We shall see...
  I'll be looking into everyone's threads for advice and guidance.
 First order of business is sorting out the brakes. The pedal is rock hard but they work.
   Then, hubcaps.
 Then a more appealing dash pad. This one is toast.
All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Clutch47 wrote
The transmission options offered at the time seem appropriate to me but I gotta say if it would been built with the 3 on the tree I'd be leaving it. Converting it has crossed my mind, as well as adding the dual tanks or a larger one. We shall see...
  I'll be looking into everyone's threads for advice and guidance.
 First order of business is sorting out the brakes. The pedal is rock hard but they work.
   Then, hubcaps.
 Then a more appealing dash pad. This one is toast.
Most 3 on the tree trucks have been swapped to aftermarket floor shifter as you cant get parts for it and most are just plan wore out.
Depending what you plan on using the truck for there are other transmission options some have over drive.

As for dual tanks a lot has to do with the motor / fuel system the truck has.
The 300 six system is stupid simple, 3 port valve, but the way the factory has the wiring for the switch / gauge is a whole different harness. Yes you can add to the non-dual factory harness just need to open it up a little.

As for a larger tank that depends on where the tank is you have now.
Only option I know of is a 38 gallon rear tank, replaces the 19 gallon, but you lose the spare tire or it hangs down pretty low. No options for the front / side tanks that I know of.

Brakes are nice to have if you want to stop
Power or non-power? I have a project car that uses a pivot between the firewall and booster that first rusted and would not move, our truck dont have this but I can see the pedal pivot under the dash on pivot making the pedal hard.

This same project car got brake fluid and water in the booster and ever since the pedal got hard like something rusted inside? I need to send it out for a rebuild as you cant get it thru local parts stores.

As you know the calipers & wheel cly. could be rusted. My trucks brakes were hardly able to be call brakes when I first got it. I had to replace everything.
I also added power brakes, booster / master and pedals from my parts truck, everything else (caliper cups & wheel cly) was the same size between them.

On the dash pad they do make replacements but they are big $$$.
Unless doing a 100 point trailer queen a dash topper looks and works great.
I have one on my truck and unless you really look you cant tell it is just a topper.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Clutch47
Appreciated.
I'm thinking because the dash speaker perforated part has magically vanished but the rest appears be.. eh.. maybe I'll put a 6x9 cover over the hole for now and buy a dash mat. I've got one in my other truck and I like it.
We shall see if this becomes a restored truck or gets modified a little. My intention originally was to buy a decent driver to accommodate me and my dog on our back road adventures, so....
 I found a complete Clifford 6=8 setup and I've never touched Weber carbs on anything other than Harleys years ago, let alone dual Webers.
   Can anyone with personal experience fill me in on what is better for all around starting and easy power.. the dual Webers or a Holley 390? I've got one and they work pretty darn well...
All Ford all the time.
83 F-100 300-6/C6
03 F-250 SD 5.4 2V
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Clutch47 wrote
I'm thinking because the dash speaker perforated part has magically vanished but the rest appears be.. eh.. maybe I'll put a 6x9 cover over the hole for now and buy a dash mat. I've got one in my other truck and I like it.
We have a member here (Ron/Reamer) who sells a nice dash speaker 3D printed patch.

A member installed it and it looks very good.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
1234 ... 6