Carbureted 351W throttle cable with cruise control replacement question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Carbureted 351W throttle cable with cruise control replacement question

FordFETruck
Got a question regarding the throttle cable for a 351W HO throttle cable with factory cruise control. The replacement throttle cables don't come with the adapter piece for the cruise control. Does this piece come off and can be transferred to the new cable? I've looked at it a couple times over the years and it doesn't appear to come off easily or maybe without breaking it off. Not sure of a good way to attach the cruise control cable to a new throttle cable. Old picture from years ago for reference.
1986 F250 351W, C6, 10.25 Semi float 3.55 gear, 250K Miles

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Carbureted 351W throttle cable with cruise control replacement question

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Years ago, that plastic was a whole lot more pliable than it is today.
In all the parts catalogs I've been through I've never seen a reference to speed control, specifically.
A year ago November when the throttle cable my truck broke I did not see any distinction (granted, I have a 460 with a 23+ inch throttle cable)

Ifitaintbroke/Bradley works at an auto parts store, I believe.
Perhaps you should tag him to this thread and see if he has any additional info?

ETA: A little more information here.  https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Part-Number-Help-tp140562.html
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I remember that plastic cap coming off of the cable and is actually part of the cruise control beaded chain end. maybe not on every model.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by FordFETruck
Yes, that thing comes off. Just be careful with it. Give me a bit and I'll see if I can find you a part number.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/pioneer-inc/fuel-delivery/accelerator-cable/4cc8ef007abf/pioneer-accelerator-cable/pio0/ca8459/v/a/5318/automotive-truck-1986-ford-f-250?q=accelerator+cable&pos=0

The Pioneer cables are fine. This is the part# I came up with but will verify when I get to work later. The website is not quite as accurate as my mighty parts system.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
BTW, is that a Summit carb you have there?
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here are the Ford part numbers.  I really need to add these and the illustrations starting on Pg 1001 of the MPC to our page at Documentation/Electrical/Speed Control.  Perhaps tomorrow watching the Chiefs play.

Here's one on ebay for $31.45

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

FordFETruck
In reply to this post by Ifitaintbroke
Yeah, I've had that carb for almost 11 years now. It's been fantastic, so much so I bought the 500 CFM to put on my warmed over 390 in my 64 galaxie. I wish the 500 CFM was out when I bought the one for the truck, because I've ran the 600 in the picture on the 390 also and overall, like how the 500 CFM runs better. Both have been tuned to the application. I get an average of 1-2 MPG better over a 600 CFM 4150/4160 around town also on both rigs.

Reply | Threaded
|

FordFETruck
In reply to this post by Ifitaintbroke
Thanks for that. My original cable requires me to use an extra return spring otherwise it hangs up just above idle. I think it's had enough. I hate how stiff the gas pedal is with the extra spring.

Reply | Threaded
|

FordFETruck
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thanks, Gary. I suppose I'll try to take my current one off as it's in good shape just didn't want to break it then be SOL not knowing if I can get a replacement.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
I looked in my parts system, and that pioneer # should be correct. Kinda pricey, though.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

FordFETruck
I did some searching on Ebay last night and found one for $30 and ordered it. Thanks again!