Carb leaking from fuel filter

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Carb leaking from fuel filter

delco1946
I’m notorious in the plumbing world for not tightening fixtures enough, resulting in a slow drip drip drip. Of course, I have this same problem after replacing my screw-in-to-the-carb type fuel filter. I even “over tightened” it knowing I have a tendency to under tighten things. I long ago stopped using Teflon tape in plumbing as I consider it useless garbage. However I use a yellow (pte?) pipe dope that is a god-send, and doesn’t seem to dry out. Is there something like this for carb use that y’all approve of? It obviously needs to be fuel and heat safe, non-corrosive, and allow for future filter removal. The yellow pipe dope I have I believe is safe for natural gas plumbing ( going off memory ATM)- would this mean it’s safe for fuel?
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Carb leaking from fuel filter

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The problem with Teflon tape is with it getting into the fuel and clogging passages.  But I've used it w/o problem by keeping it one or two threads back of the leading edge of the fitting.  Sometimes that means it has to be out on the flats, but whatever it takes I make sure it doesn't get into the fuel stream.

For things like fuel systems I'd rather use tape than paste as I'm afraid the paste will dilute and get loose.

For other things, like air fittings, I use a combo of tape and PTFE paste.  The tape is kept one or two threads back and the paste is used on those exposed one or two threads.  This combo has worked extremely well for me.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by delco1946
I almost always use Loctite PST.
It is an anerobic thread sealant, with anti-galling and lubrication qualities.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/product/thread-sealants/loctite_567.html

According to the PDF it is recommended for petroleum refineries (among other things) so I think high temp and fuel resistance is a given.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's probably one of the best solutions to this problem.  No chance of bits of Teflon getting loose from the tape nor the paste dissolving and contaminating the carb.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

delco1946
Thank you!
Christopher in Portland Or. 1981 F250 Ranger XLT 4x4 trailer special 351M, and auto C6