Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Carb Flooding

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Nice job on the regulator mounting.

Do you run Ethanol free or Ethanol gas?
I run nothing but Ethanol as it can be found every where around here.

When I installed the used tanks in my truck they looked good and clean.
Well I had to pull the top off the carb for some reason and seen very fine rust on the bottom of the bowl.
I also run 2 filters after the fuel pump. A plastic kind of see thru and the screw it at the carb.
Both trapped a lot of rust and were replaced and the carb cleaned out.
I am guessing the top of the tank or tanks had the rust?

In finding why a had a bad miss and bucking under load I swapped out the carb for a cheap Ebay one I had on the shelf.
After running it a bit and running way to lean I pulled the top to see what it would take to adjust the needle and the bowl floor was clean. So I guess the old carb and filters trapped all the rust?
I fill both tanks at the same time and I use them up quite fast so not worried of more rusting.

But with all that rust not once did I have the carb flooding.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Thanks Dave, I run ethanol. I have a filter before fuel transfer solenoid and before fuel pump  and screw-in filter at carb. I hope the regular solves that problem. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Lord Mr. Ford ! Was letting my truck warm up. Smelled gas, opened hood and gas running from carb to ground. Pressure regulator didn’t work to correct problem. The choke was open. Thinking back, this problem started after I reinstalled the EGR. After some research, I don’t have all components I need for it to work correctly. Most emission controls are missing, no computer, I want the EGR to work. So I need a PVS, and VCV, ho se to carb, hose to egr?? Carb hose teed to Dist. Need source for these items. Thanks CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer!

Ok, to find the part numbers we need to find the calibration code.  I've not looked back through this thread, but I don't remember finding it.  So you'll have to tell me everything you know about the truck - and then it would help if you'd put that in a signature.

What year, engine, transmission, and if it is a CA truck or 49 states.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by C.Jett
EGR isn't causing your carb to overflow.

Check the float isn't hanging on a gasket or something...
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I expect the issue to be inside the carb. keep looking even if it is getting annoying.  
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Gary, It’s a 1985 F150 4.9 L single barrel carb built in VA. Thanks for the help. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll look for the info, but I'm with the others that the EGR system should not be the problem with fuel coming out of the carb.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Jim, 2 carbs did the same. I just want make sure EGR is correct to eliminate that though. I don’t think it’s the EGR, too much gas coming out like float is stuck. Only does it after warm up. Thanks CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Mat, I’m going to open carb again and check. I’m missing something. Thanks CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
CJ - I don't have enough info, so I'm going to suggest you look for the numbers, plural, as I don't think you will be able to get it down to a single one.

1. Go to Documentation/Calibration Info & Part Numbers and then to the Application To Parts List tab.

2. Scroll down to Pg 33 where the 1985 4.9L engine listings start.  Then scroll on down to find F150's with your transmission and 2wd or 4wd setup that says "except Calif." or "except Calif. or Hi-altitude carb".  When you find those write the Parts List Number down.

3.  Go to the Parts Lists tab and scroll down to find the parts lists you wrote down.  They are lists of all of the parts needed to calibrate your truck as it came from the factory,

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Thanks Gary, do you think the parts I listed is what I need for a basic EGR system? And I need part numbers and a source. Thanks CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
C.Jett wrote
After some research, I don’t have all components I need for it to work correctly. Most emission controls are missing, no computer, I want the EGR to work. So I need a PVS, and VCV, hose to carb, hose to egr?? Carb hose teed to Dist. Need source for these items. Thanks CJ
 I really don't know how to answer that as I'm not familiar with the EGR systems on a 4.9L.  Or any engine for that matter.

If you have the vacuum routing diagram, like the one below from an 86 F150, you can see many of the parts listed.

Hopefully someone else knows?

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
having the egr working properly is beneficial but it's not the carb issue.  double check the float setting. it's  possible that it is set too high and not applying enough pressure to the needle and seat. be careful , don't try to add pressure, just be sure to check the proper measurement.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
To get the EGR to work, in my opinion, you will need everything in the emissions system there and working.

I tried several different ways to get the EGR on the 86 I used to own to operate with no luck. I blocked it off.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Dane, I found a basic diagram for the EGR system, I’m going to give it a try when I find all the parts. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
If you are doing without the computer, go back to the older non-computer systems where there was usually a thermal valve to control the minimum temperature for the EGR valve to open.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Bill, I was planing to use a 2 port vcv with 1 hose to EGR and 1hose to middle vacuum port on 1 barrel carb teed to Dist. With check valve. This is a diagram from Documentations. I just need to find the parts. Also is there a source for air cleaner controls for hot and cold air ? I’m bogged down with a flooding carb at present but I need these items done also. Thanks CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
The correct air filter should have a heat duct and vacuum motor. The sensor is inside the air cleaner. Thermal vacuum valves, used to be virtually everyone had them. I had a bunch of them, but I am afraid they didn't follow me to the Eastern Shore.

On your flooding issue, you say you have the EGR spacer, how thick is the gasket under the carburetor? Second, heat riser valve, is it working? If not is it stuck in the heat position?

Only flooding hot sounds like you may be boiling the fuel in the carburetor.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413