classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
121 messages Options
12345 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Carb Flooding

mat in tn
I think something is getting overlooked. first off, the last two carbs worked, then they didn't. what changed? if each carb was compatible with the fuel pressure at any point and also for a length of time then we should expect compatibility. I start with filter. then float level.  the gaskets will reduce heat absorption and control manifold vacuum leaks, but I doubt that's the issue here.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I have to agree with Mat.
Covering up the symptom is not fixing the problem.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree. That’s why I mentioned the junk and filter. But on new tanks, valves, etc it would seem that it came in with the fuel?  Like gum?  I’ve seen that happen, for sure.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
A Carter YF is as reliable as a hammer.

It's hard to imagine that CJ has gone through 3 carbs and a fuel pump given that everything upstream is new.  

Really the only 2 things that could cause flooding are too much pressure or a bad float/valve.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Dirt or gum in the gas can easily cause a carb to flood. It gets on the needle and prevents sealing so fuel continues to flow. That’s why I use at least one paper filter as they will filter much better than the stock metal filters that might take out gnats.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If you want a plastic filter put it in the rubber line between frame rail and fuel pump.
The exhaust is on the other side so there's very little risk.

I haven't had problems with metal 'stone' type filters at the carb inlet, but I drive enough that my fuel doesn't go bad.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
A rubber hose breaking down from ethanol fuel?
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Thanks Guys for all the input, since it’s 2 carbs doing the same thing, it’s either gum or pressure. Fuel goes thru 2 filters before carb, I’m going with pressure. Pressure is 7 psi, that’s the max recommended. Pressure regular set at 4.5-5 psi? I will open carb,(when it quits raining), to check for gum and float setting. Thanks to all for helping old guy think again.  CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Gum is hard to find.  I had some years ago that coated the needle time after time in spite of running a whole bunch of carb cleaner in the gas.  I took the carb apart and cleaned it multiple times, but it took running that tank out and getting well into the 2nd one before things lined out.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
one difference between the carter yf and a hammer is that the hammer never has its baseplate screws lossen up
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Gary, will this work? It’s from Summit Racing, SUM-G3032B. 4.5-9 psi. My reason is that it’s black. It has 2 outlets, can one be used for gauge? Should I set it at 4.5 and try that? Thanks CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Mat, depends if its a wood handle or not. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by C.Jett
Yes, that'll work fine.  And yes, you can put a gauge in one of the outlets.  Set it to 4 1/2 or 5 and give it a try.

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
Thanks Gary, will get it on order. Let you know how goes later. Thanks CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
touche
Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
 Got it done! Made a bracket to bolt on head and factory bracket. Will see how it goes. CJ.  The fittings cost more than the regulator……
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
that looks very well done. do you know the pressure setting? I am very interested in whether this helps. I have been driving the same truck with the same engine as yours since 1991 yet never had the issue that you have. this leads me to think that pump pressure is not the issue, but no one can argue with success. drive it and see.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks good!  Hope it fixes the problem.  

Reply | Threaded
|

C.Jett
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Thanks Mat, the instructions said the regulator was set at 6.5 psi but my gauge says 4.0 psi,  while  my gauge read 7 psi before, unless my gauge is wrong. Gary and I think 4.5-5 psi should work fine. I will check with another gauge later. It seems to run fine. CJ
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You won't hurt anything by running the pressure low.  Worst case is that you run out of go at high RPM, but how often do you spin a 300 six to high RPM?

12345 ... 7