classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Anybody repair their steering box?

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Evidently, when my power steering pump ate itself it 'shared the wealth ' with the spool valve in my sector box.
(I did flush the lines)
The truck steers left, but no assist going right.

I'm not sure if a spool valve is available, or if I just need to clear whatever shard and reseal.
I know about stretching Teflon seals, but I've never been in there....

So I understand in theory from the exploded diagrams, but....  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Anybody repair their steering box?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bummer, Jim!

We do have the FSM section on them at Documentation/Suspension & Steering/Power Steering, but I've not been into those things.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Honestly, I'm just ass-u-me-ing they're related and not coincidental...

Thank you for the link!  

Edit: I'm not seeing any valve or gear housings that the instructions say to replace.

From what I understand, either the port is clogged or there's enough debris that the piston can't shift 'right'.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Just got back today...

Jim, this seems awfully lot like the problem I had after the 460 swap. No assist on one side....

I followed the instructions from Gary below (start engine, turn lock to lock, pour fluid until gurgle goes away) and the problem went away. I don't know if there was a clog or what, but that fixed it completely. I think there is still some hope...

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/460-swap-into-a-78-Bronco-tp148376p149393.html

Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with a 460 from an 86 Bullnose/C6
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've put over 250 miles on it since I swapped the pump.

I don't think it's airbound.  
I think the spool valve is jammed or one of the Teflon seals is tattered.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Okay, and agreed

At the price below I would give a Lares or Cardone unit a shot! Summit will ship free over $109.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lsc-1446

Just not sure about the part# 100%... Rockauto had this as fitting... but not sure 100%....
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It's pretty universal application.

I'm definitely not giving anything 'Cardone' a shot.  

And I wonder how much return shipping is on the core?
'cause that's gonna bite you right where the sun don't shine, every time!
Often it isn't worth the bother.  🤷‍♂️
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I won't install a Cardone even if it is free.  There's just way too much work and mess swapping out that box to find out the one you put in is junk.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Don't even bother sending that Core in... I think it would be a wash at best.

Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Right, so eat that $$$ too.

If I can't get e spool valve I'm just going to find a tight box at a junkyard and go through it before I take mine out.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
In reply to this post by viven44
I do NOT recommend a Cardone pump.  I replaced my CII pump (reservoir was leaking) with a Cardone and before that the pump did not make any noise.  Now, people can hear me coming down the street with the Cardone unit ("Yep, here comes an old Ford" the smog guy said the other day...)

I'm saving my pennies up for the Lee CII/Saginaw replacement unit.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control, 308,000+ miles - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The dentside one I recently did was a mess. I could not get the pitman arm puller in position unless the mounting bolts were removed and the box was free to move.

For the work involved, especially if you are looking for a good steering response yes, I agree definitely best to avoid the bad ones. I am seeing folks reporting loose steering right out of the box... but that is the expected outcome from a used steering box... I have a spare from a 1986 which is probably loose.
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
In reply to this post by ckuske
Pump is another mess altogether. Any new pump I found did not even fit the stock pulley. The shaft was milled 0.0005" or so in the reman and that affected the fit. I am running a 40 year old pump now on my bronco... on borrowed time definitely. Backup would be a new pump with one of the bearing mount adhesives that Jim recommended.
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ckuske
Not the pump, the box itself. 💡

I've had enough bad experiences to stay away.
It's one thing when it's your own vehicle, it's another entirely when bad (and sometimes the ONLY) choices inconvenience someone else, and erodes faith in you.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by viven44
It's easy enough to see how much slop is in the sector gear, even without installing it.

I do have a different lower shaft without any rag joint.  👍
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Yes agreed. Easy to check play...

Ford has an elaborate adjustment procedure for these boxes.. probably good to plan for this on a used box.

I installed a new one so didn't perform this.. but wish I had at least checked for compliance

Factory manual states

During the vehicle breaking-in period, some factory adjustments may change. These changes in adjustment will not necessarily affect operation of the steering gear assembly. If excessive steering lash is encountered then a mesh load adjustment may be required.

Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Right
I've read that, and asked Bill what "sensitive instruments he used back at NN.

But I uncluttered Danny's thread and haven't heard from him.

I don't like having to pull these boxes out.
At least I can get my pitman arm puller on it and still have room to swing a hammer!  👍
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Sorry, I came back to this thread and I saw Cardone and got triggered before thinking about what I was posting
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control, 308,000+ miles - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ckuske wrote
Sorry, I came back to this thread and I saw Car done and got triggered before thinking about what I was posting
I think you misspelled it, but I fixed it for you.  

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Car done

Dorman needs to put this in their marketing campaign
Vivek