81 F150 Very Stupid mistake w turn signal install

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

81 F150 Very Stupid mistake w turn signal install

Raywilson
I installed a new turn signal harness in my 81 F150 w tilt. I've never really looked underneath the dash before. I saw the arced wire loom that was exactly like the end of my new switch harness and i removed the wires from the loom. Then I realized there was another wire loom connector higher up above the steering column, the correct one. So now I have 1/2 of a wire loom with all the wires removed. It doesn't look like the wires are color coordinated from each half, like a red would plug into white w red stripe. Anyone have a pic so I can put the wires in the correct order? SO STUPID in Portland
Ray

1981 F150 XLT Ranger Trailer Special
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 81 F150 Very Stupid mistake w turn signal install

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This is bizarre - the links being generated to new posts lead to an error page.  But if I come directly to the forum things are working.  I'll see what happens with my post and report it if that link is bad.

Anyway, can you post a picture of the connector you need the pinouts on?  I should have one with the wires still in, but I'm not sure which connector you mean.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
What choices are there?
Turn + hazard or horn + speed control?

Which harness is the bad wire in?

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis

This is what the connector looks like and it connects to the turn signal wiring. It goes from that loom to another loom about 8in away. That is where I mistakenly disconnected the wires.
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ray - Thanks.  Tomorrow after church I'll pull out Dad's wiring and get some shots of that connector with the wires.

Somewhere I have the pinouts to that, so I'm going to go looking for that...  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson

I have this one but it's for where the signals connect to the first connector. Then those wires go about 8in to another connector that looks exactly like the first one. The next one down the line in the series. I disassembled that one...
Ray
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
See if this helps. I think you want the left two sets of connectors as I think they are 1981ish. I know the right side is 1985, and there were differences that bit me.

But you should be able to match up colors between your two connectors, meaning the original male and female.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think it maps pretty well.  Sorry that my numbers are hard to see, but it looks like it starts with 1 in the upper right and goes across the top to 7, then starts with 8 in the lower left and goes to 11.

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
In reply to this post by Raywilson
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM0y5bUooXU95JJv21Z3_BLGkZdt8OEyAyoktjT

I think that wire photo shows the 1st connection, where the signal plugs into the factory loom (red circle). I need the 2nd, where the factory loom plugs into the next loom (blue). The male and female colors aren't the same where they plug together.
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll get you pictures tomorrow afternoon of the 2nd connector.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I think this is what you need.

First is the spreadsheet. This is from Dad's 1981 and should match yours. However, there are some colors that are a bit questionable, like one I've marked "G/O" that might be "LG/O" but didn't look like light green to me. And I've not taken any time to fill in the circuit numbers from the previous spreadsheet.

And the columns from left to right are the connector on the steering column, the speed control connector that plugs into the first one, the speed control connector that plugs into the main harness, and then the main harness connector.

Next up is an illustration from the 1981 EVTM. But, it is confusing as it is with a speed control. If you don't have the speed control then you would just have the top plug connected to the bottom plug.

Next is a picture of all four of the C305 or C305A connectors. And I've tried to show that the middle two connectors are from the speed control harness while the one at the bottom, which is the one at the top in the previous illustration, is the one from the truck's main harness.

Next up are closeups of the two pairs of connectors, and you can see how I labeled pins 1 & 7, with 8 being directly below 8:

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
Wow, that is an amazing compilation! Thank you very much for all your help. This is an incredible site you've created.
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You are welcome.  And I hope it helps.

That C305 area is very confusing.  Without speed control there's just C305 male and female.  But when you put the speed control harness in suddenly you have C305A as the designation for what was the original C305's female half.  And that doesn't make sense.

Then there's the fact that some pins are populated in one connector and not the other.  For instance, pin 11 in the truck's harness doesn't have a corresponding pin in the steering column's connector.

And then the wire color changes.

Plus, over the years they made subtle changes to the wiring in that area, and if you put an early column in a later truck the warning buzzers don't work correctly.

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
I have a male solid green that comes from a connector that has 2 solid green males coming from it that has nowhere to color match and a solid blue as well. Everything else matches up ish  I do have a non functioning speed control that I hope will eventually work. The speed light doesn't light up on the dash (if there is one, that is)...
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Can you show me a picture of the green wires?  I'm confused as to where they are and how those three pins are connected.

But there is no "speed light".

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipM8I6AgqFIllGHUTt1MxoWccZN20sEKcBa89vTf

The blue comes from the lower corner, I've marked it. The green is obvious. So, there's nothing to tell you speed control is on?
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Sorry, but your pics go to a 404 error page. Can’t see them.

Go look at the page at Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ’s to see how to post pics.

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
In reply to this post by Raywilson

Sorry, rookie mistake
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Your pic is hard to see at that size, but it looks like the dark blue wire is in #11.  If so it should be DB/R - right?  Or if it is in #10 it should be DB/BK.  I need to know for sure.

And the light green is in #2, which should be the stop lamp circuit.  It shows in the diagram below where one of the wires comes from the stop light switch and the other goes to C755, which either goes to the clutch switch if you have a manual or jumpers right back in the same connector if you have an auto.  (You don't have a signature to tell us anything about your truck.)

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson

I'm at work.
302 automatic