classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 81 F150 Very Stupid mistake w turn signal install

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks for enlarging the picture, but I still can't tell where that wire is going nor if it has a stripe on it.  There's a hint of red, but I can't really tell if that's a stripe or not.

I can't find a DB/R wire in the EVTM.  But I can find a LB/R wire, and that is the instrument illumination circuit.  And at one point apparently Ford planned to illuminate the PRNDL indicator on the steering column, as shown below.  But I don't think that ever happened.

But, if you go back and look at the spreadsheet there's a LB/R on Pin 11 that comes from the main harness on the right, turns to DB/R going through the two speed control connectors, and then isn't carried on in the steering column.

So might that be your wire?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
Sorry, my Tacoma had the oil pressure light come on. Been busy w that. The pic I sent is an undisturbed female connector that I'm trying reconnect the wires from the male that I mistakenly pulled all the wires from. The 2 wires in question are solid green (there are 2 solid green coming from the same hole, one green connects to several greens up in the dash area, the other needs to go to the male in question) and solid dark blue. No stripes.
My truck has speed control and my new signal connector plugged into that. This is the male end of that connector. Sorry for the recap but helps me get back on track...
Ray
1981 F150 XLT Ranger Trailer Special
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ray - Hope you got the Taco fixed.

But I'm not 100% sure I understand, so forgive me if my answer is off the mark.  But if that picture is an undisturbed connector, can't you check to see which one it is in my spreadsheet and then use the colors shown on the connector next to it to populate the other connector shell?

What am I missing?  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson

This is your pic and I've Xed the blue #7 n double greens #2.  Your spreadsheet shows pin 2 DG(2) to LG.  And pin7 DB to Y/LB. My pins are male not female but now it makes sense. Am i correct here?
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I believe you are right.

As for the male/female designation, I have been referring to the connectors themselves instead of the pins.  But you may be right.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
I'm back, still struggling with the C305A wiring order in the 11 prong harness connector. I have checked the wiring colors through all 4 connections provided by Gary and they all lineup.  Horn and flashers work, brake light doesn't come on but what I push brake pedal with the blinker on, their corresponding blinker light comes all but doesn't flash.  So I swapped pins 2 and 3, so instead of pins 1,2 and 3 being WP,  LG, LB it's WP, LB and LG and now everything works but the brake lights. I've tested pin #2 (that's supposed to be the brake power pin) and it has power when I pushed break pedal down. So everything works but the brake lights. Pics 2 n 3 show my wire swap. Why don't through brake lights come on?
Ray

302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ray - I don't have answers, just more questions.  But we shall get to the bottom of this.

First, do you have speed control?  In other words, do you have the two sets of C305 connectors, with the speed control jumper connecting the original C305 halves?  If so, then can you take the speed control loop out and plug the main C305 pieces together and test?

Second, when you said that you swapped pins 2 and 3, where did you do that?  In which connector?  I'm not sure it matters, but there is a chance that it does.  Anyway, I think what you did is shown below - right?

Did this whole thing start when you were changing out the turn signal switch?  Right?  Do you still have the old one?  I'm thinking you de-pinned the connector, right?

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson

I do have speed control. The pics i took are of the 305A male connection.  What I did is that I was replacing the turn signal switch. I looked under the dash and disassembled the 305A instead of the 305. I pulled on the T signal wires and the 305A  moved so I thought it was the correct one. The diagram you sent is Greek to me.  I will bypass the Speed section tomorrow and will let you know the results. I hope that works.
I'm in Oregon
Thank you
Ray
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson

The initial C305 male @ the T signal was reassembled one hole off. Moved it over and everything works. Thank you Gary for you patience and insight. 45deg n raining again but I'm happy and relieved....
Ray
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent!  Glad you got it figured out.