classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

81 F150 Door panel removal

Raywilson
This post was updated on .
Okay, 1981 F150 XLT. I'm trying to remove the door panels to install sound proofing, window felt and speakers. I have the panel loose but the slider door lock won't allow me to take the panel off. I'm afraid if I unhook the slider lock bar I'll never be able to reconnect it. Does the rectangle slider lock assembly come out the front somehow? It's pretty tight and I can get pretty ham handed and break stuff. Any help would be appreciated...
Ray in Portland
1981 F150 XLT Ranger Trailer Special
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 81 F150 Door panel removal

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That slider lock is gold.  Brittle gold.  Don't break it.

Yes, it comes out.  The plastic is fastened to a metal backing that has fingers that snap into the opening.  I think you can reach around back and squeeze the fingers together to get it out 'cause if you try to pry on the plastic it may part company with the metal.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
Thank you. Seems that most parts on an 81 are hard to come by. Transition year I'm supposing.
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
80 was a big transition year, but both 80 and 81 had the slide locks.  Or I should say part of 81 did.  And they shared a grille and a hood with letters.  And the 351M was the big engine.  But in 82 you got pin locks, not letters on the hood, a Ford emblem in the grille, and the 351W was the big engine option.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
Thank you.  Lock was clipped in. One last question. In order to install door speakers, mine only has dash,  do I need to drill a hole in the door jamb? I don't see any holes at all to run wires through...
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, for some reason Ford hadn't realized it is easier to install doors with holes in them on every truck, so only those with door speakers got holes and the bellows piece that goes between the door and the door jamb.

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
In reply to this post by Raywilson
I got the old door panels off and I'm thinking that I could just repaint them. No cracks or damage of any kind but sun UV damage. They are nutmeg and I can scratch the surface and the color just comes off.  I sanded them with 220 by hand and it just powdered off, the plastic seems pretty solid underneath though. I put some plastic binder primer on and 1 coat of replica paint (the end of can that I have). It looks okay, needs a couple more coats. I'll need to use some 600 grit to eliminate my 220 sanding scratches. Maybe what powdered off was plastic and they will never look good? I have more rattle can paint coming.  I bought some pretty nice panels on ebay, tan, so I'll have paint them too. Issue w them is I have to cut in the slider lock hole and they have the newer door lockhole on top of the door like modern cars. Any experience out there with old panels?
Ray in Portland
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You might consider converting to the pin style locks.  You can use your slide lock mechanism and just add the rod to the pin, but you'll discover that down is unlock and up is lock.  It takes the later lock mechanism to fix that.

As for the color, go to our page at Documentation/Specifications/Body Codes - Interior for a listing of the colors and the SEM paint codes.  If you use the SEM instructions and products it'll turn out good.

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
for paint prep I use good ole brillo pads. removes the dead layer without scratching and cleans dirt and oils too just be sure to rinse thoroughly. and the pads form fit to the contours really well too.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
SEM also makes a texture you can spray on the panels before the SEM color coat goes on.
I did buy 2 cans but by the time i went to use them nothing would come out.
I dont know if they were just old or what and being I had them a month or 2 and did not remember who I got them from I could not take them back

I did a quick fix of cracks on my slider lock panels and a few coats of SEM just to make them look not so bad before a show.
The plan was to get new slider lock panels but when I was ready I cant find them so the plan changed.
I will pull them back off and do a little better job on the fixes and paint again.
I have also bought new slider locks but they need to be painted to match the color of the panels.

I also have the "A" pillar covers that need fixing and painting too.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
I reached out to SEM on Sunday via email and this morning, Monday, they had sent me a reply w the formula.  Shockingly fast.  So I'm getting a couple cans made up at Sherwin Williams Automotive and maybe they have the texture too...  Screenshot_20230213_081530_Gmail.jpg
I hope this screen shot works. 1st time on this site
302 automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You might want to look at the FAQ's at Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's to see how to post pics.

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Gary,

Can you point out a place in the Library explaining how to:
- insert an animated gif.
- modify the name (or title/text) of an inserted permalink.

I searched but did not find the way.

You have this secret magic touch, which I'd sometimes like to mimic.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jeff - Not sure what you mean by "modify the name (or title/text) of an inserted permalink". Are you asking how to put a link, like a permalink, on text? For instance a link to come back to your post? If that is what you mean I just:

1. Got the permalink for your post by clicking More and then Permalink and copying what is in that popup.
  2. Highlighting the text to be turned into a hot link, which in this case was "link to come back to your post"
  3. Clicking Link in the menu above and pasting the permalink, or URL if that's what you have, in the box and pressing OK

As for the gif, I just went out and found one and downloaded it to my computer. Then I clicked Insert Image and did as you'd do with any picture.

Is that what you wanted?

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
thats funny looking to me because my new grandaughter changes moods about that fast
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary, it's now clear for the GIF, simply inserting it the same way we insert a JPG is the trick, thanks.  I'll give a try later.

Gary Lewis wrote
3. Clicking Link in the menu above and pasting the permalink, or URL if that's what you have, in the box and pressing OK.

Is that what you wanted?
Gary, yes that's what I meant!

Selecting the text before and then click the Link menu in order to paste the copied Hyperlink is the trick!

Let's give a try right now:

This is your last post in Big Blue's Transformation topic.

Working!

Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
thats funny looking to me because my new grandaughter changes moods about that fast
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by BigBrother-84
Jeff - Yep, it worked.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Raywilson
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Thats a great idea! I used a green Scotchbrite and elbow grease. Looks far superior to sanding. It left the texture on.
302 automatic