classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
239 messages Options
1 ... 56789101112
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 460 swap into a 78 Bronco

viven44
Interesting, I haven't tried that before, but I think I recall when the donor truck came to me the transporter unloaded it from his trailer. We had to maneuver the truck quite a bit with engine off to get it situated.  We saw a lot of PS fluid leaking out.

My observation is that the pump got quieter every time it was bled out more, but not completely absent to be honest so I am not surprised the noise is just the pump itself.

PS: It is moving monster 33" mud tires on this bronco so its working hard (tires that are too large for my liking!!)
Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with a 460 from an 86 Bullnose/C6
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
And that is why I like my van pump.❤️

No noise, plenty of power, from the Saginaw
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
ArdWrknTrk wrote
And that is why I like my van pump.❤️

No noise, plenty of power, from the Saginaw
Amen, brother!
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
This evening I showed our 3 year old (he's already a car guy. He likes him a 'cool car'... anything with a vicious exhaust and bright colors) the bronco finally. He was able to steer lock to lock no problem so I think we have a working pump doing its job well!

I will definitely be on the lookout for saginaw pump brackets for a 460.

Any particular year/model vans I should be on the lookout for ?
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
83-86 E-350 with a 460.
Could be anything from the base model, Club or even Chalet.
Church buses used to be the best way to score. 😉
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by viven44
When my ex's daughter was still in diapers she wanted to go in "the big red truck"
I'd find a good size parking lot, she would sit in my lap and tell me to go faster or slow down.
She caught on really quick, even at 18mo.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Nice!! My girls are not mechanically inclined as much as my son and it took them a lot longer to do the things he does now.

We were just parked in the garage and he was moving the steering wheel with the truck running. He grabbed the automatic shift lever and almost shifted it down  I think there is a safety built in just like the bullnoses but I need to double check.
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
OK one more thing to report on the EGR front.

I have now established that the 460 holds excellent vacuum when warm, steady 22" at idle. Still not enough to leak through the distributor

I tried to run with EGR after things warmed up fully and it ran horribly, even with vacuum advance tied straight to manifold vacuum. The 460 would not even idle with EGR functioning, even though I'm mimicking the stock 460 vacuum diagram.

I tried doing the ported vacuum as well to perhaps simulate the scenario where it could be only in effect while cruising. It is able to run 'fine' at about 1500 rpm, but the vacuum gauge wasn't very stable. It was bouncing around just a hair.

Without EGR, both idle and cruising scenarios are performing significantly better based on the vacuum gauge. I do not have pinging issues without EGR while cruising.

Does this mean the 'stock' Cardone distributor is already curved to not use EGR ?

Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
22" is very good vacuum at idle.  

But I think there's something wrong if you are getting exhaust gas into the intake at idle.  I'm pretty sure that you are only supposed to get exhaust gas when under partial load, meaning cruise but not idle nor WOT.

However, if you aren't getting pinging then your distributor may be set up for a non-EGR system, although that would be surprising.  Still, if it is running when w/o EGR then I'd leave EGR off.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I have a nice vacuum diagram in color for a 1986 carbureted 460 with C6.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
This post was updated on .
That would be nice to see!

The one below from my other 84 460 truck is what I’ve used as a reference so far. I had it routed in a similar way however the VDV is not present at the moment, but I have a couple of spares that could be used. So far with my distributor it appears there isn't sufficient advance to use EGR.

Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
You are correct. Looking at the vacuum diagram, I assume the E port on the carburetor is ported vacuum... so I didn't run the vacuum lines correctly the first time and thats why EGR was open at idle.

I did try another test case where the vacuum was sourced from the ported vacuum port of the carburetor. Again there, at around 1500 rpm (Still parked) things were not very smooth, both in vacuum gauge and also I could tell the engine wasn't very happy (minor vibrations and such from maybe low-level misfires....). I assume this would also be the case while actually cruising in gear ???
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Another piece of info for 460 swap into 78 Bronco to document.

78 vs 79 Broncos. The 79 is more bull-nosey in that it uses a throttle cable with spring. The 78 is old school throttle rod. Thankful I found a 60s mustang throttle rod that worked finally. Part# C5ZZ-9A702D

Found also differences in emissions. No EVAP system in 78, while 79 had similar EVAP system as Bullnose.

Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Moving onto the part that I hoped I would get to one day

The rear half floors are perfect. Just needs a good cleaning. The driver and passenger side floor pans are also very solid and sturdy, except for surface rust and pitting in some areas. I am not sure if Dentside sheet metal was thicker or what but it is really sturdy even in the pitted areas. I used a wire wheel to go over them pretty hard and no surprises. Passes the screw driver test as well.

Thinking of
- using wire wheel to remove anything thats loose off the floor,
- and then 3 step POR-15 (Gray),
- and then primer, and yellow color matched paint.

Once this is done I'm going to do an ACC carpet set with sound proofing and water proof mass backing.

What do y'all think of that plan ?

Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
if you are going with a floor covering then once it is fully sealed with the por15 I would stop there. why prime and paint when its already sealed? and por15 might not hold the other anyway.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Good question. I am planning on using POR-15 only in areas where there is surface rust, and my plan is to get things all blended in after POR-15 is done.

I am buying a lot of paint (Bulk primer, Base coat - Wimbledon white and Bright Yellow) from my favorite local paint shop. I will need to paint the hood and do touch ups on the body, there will be a lot of leftovers.

Per POR-15 FAQs "You may apply most coatings over POR-15 when it has just dried and still has a slight friction/resistance while dragging your finger along the surface (dry but slightly tacky) or has completely dried and has been sanded and cleaned with our Cleaner Degreaser."
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by viven44
I'm not a fan of manual abrasion (or POR 15 ) myself.

Not to say you can't get a good enough job, but if you're paying actual money at a physical auto body supply...
 Strip or media blast it. Use an acid etching DTM epoxy primer/sealer and the topcoat of your choice.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like POR15.  But it is the pits trying to get something to adhere to it when it dries.  So I put my topcoat on when it is tacky, and it sticks well.  

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I will be painting it myself. I'm going for an overall patina look so it won't need to be perfect (I need to consciously ensure I get a patina finish on the hood and not make it look too nice). I will color match the hood and some minor touch ups, that's about the only goal I have paint wise.

I have thought about media blasting. I probably will end up doing that, is there a good portable setup available ?

This one looks like a decent starter option in combination with glass beads... Just need respirators I suppose and a good cover and clean up.
https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html

Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Noted