classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 38 gallon fuel tank install

kramttocs
Administrator
But the 460 does sound a whole lot better starting up so it's got that going for it
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Jcris
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
You intend to fix that with an Arduino computer?
Now I will definitely stay tuned for that. Sounds very cool!
On May 12, 2019, at 7:08 PM, Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ford went through lots of attempts to make a good fuel system in the Bullnose era, and all of them were flawed.  Fatally flawed.  And at this point in time the new parts to fix them are drying up, and in many cases have dried up.

One of the especially troublesome components of the fuel systems was the switching valve, and the latest version of that is no longer available.  So, if you are going to run two tanks with the ~'85/86 system you have to find a way around that, and it isn't easy.  Or, you could go back to the earlier system as long as you have a carb, but for the fuel-injected systems you are stuck.

In my case I intend to go to the later "fuel delivery module" which has all of the switching done electrically and in the tank.  In other words, outside the tank the supply has a Y and the return has a Y, and that's all.  However, the sending units have a totally different resistance range than ours, so much so that our gauge would read backward and not go to either Full nor Empty.  I intend to fix that issue with an Arduino computer - and then make that easily available to everyone.

But, if you want to stay with Bullnose senders you can either graft one of them onto the fuel delivery module, which shouldn't be too hard, or go with one tank, say the 38 gallon one, and do away with the need for the switching valve.

And to do that you can use the Bronco's 33 gallon pump/sending unit combo and lower the pickup as well as the float.  Or, just use the Bronco's 33 gallon tank and pump/sending unit and give up only 5 gallons.

As for the spare tire, the one on Big Blue is so big and heavy that it couldn't go under the rear anyway.  So currently it rides in the middle of the bed.  But, I've designed a very heavy duty spare tire carrier/bumper that, when built, will resolve the problem and put the tire just behind the tailgate.  Here are a couple of "artists renderings" of that:

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/soon-to-be ZF5/3.55's & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/38-gallon-fuel-tank-install-tp16115p27775.html
To unsubscribe from 38 gallon fuel tank install, click here.
NAML

1986 F150 4x4, with transplanted 1991 302 with automatic trans
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  I wrote it up in the EFI For Big Blue thread, but you might want to just start reading here.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI