3-D printer Fog light bezel has been made and shipped!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
181 messages Options
1 ... 678910
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 3-D printer Fog light bezel has been made and shipped!

Ford F834
Administrator
The nos fog light switch that I have is robust but I don't think it is big enough to contain a relay. I don't know what the rear plug is like, but the switch itself does not strike me as excesdively large 🤷‍♂️

For reference the toggle blade is 1.15" long
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Right, the relay isn't in the switch.  Here's a pic from the 1981 EVTM (Electrical/EVTM/1981 EVTM/Lights).  You can see the separate relay on the left, and then on the right that it is behind the left hand side of the instrument panel, and that it is shown on Page 60 in Figure 2:

And, here's Figure 2 from Page 60.  (Amazing what you can find on the internet.  )

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Chris McGaugh tells me that 1980 had one style, and 81-84 was a different style, but both have the relay in the harness between the switch and the firewall...

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting.  What is meant by "style"?  Or, what is different?  I ask because I should be able to see that in the parts catalog.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
Pics from my truck tonight.  

I can confirm the switch isn’t the conflict but the relay appears to be.  It’s the black box mounted to the dash support.  

1983 Bronco XLT being rebuilt/restored with a 5.8 HO & ZF5 and a pile of other improvements..... Serpentine drive; saginaw saw; 3G swap; manual swap with a ZF5; hydro boost swap to name a few....
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Isn't the black box in pic #1 is the wiper delay module?

Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
I think you’re right Gary. I was going bye the photo you posted but this photo seems to be it.  

1983 Bronco XLT being rebuilt/restored with a 5.8 HO & ZF5 and a pile of other improvements..... Serpentine drive; saginaw saw; 3G swap; manual swap with a ZF5; hydro boost swap to name a few....
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep.  And that's what the linkage is hitting?  Strange.

Reply | Threaded
|

Alfie623
Yes.  The linkage is hitting that for sure.  What’s weird is that my E&VTSM shows the fog light relay in the same place you show in your picture and yet I dont see it in my truck.  I know the light circuit works but I’ll have to look into where the relay actually is.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Alfie623
Funny that it shows the intermittent wiper governor mounted. The ones I see usually have foam glued all the way around them and are just tucked up on top of the wire harness behind the headlight switch, not really mounted to anything.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The reason the governors are mounted in foam rubber is because in a manual truck the shock of releasing the parking brake causes the heatsink inside to crack the solder joint.
Says right on the case "Do Not Drop"
And that expensive (over $100) little component is toast unless you know how to fix it.

There is a service bulletin outlining this procedure.
Mine has been wrapped in foam and zip-tied up behind the fuse panel for this reason.
Haven't had to replace it since I did that.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That would be a good bulletin to have.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't have it on my phone and I don't have a pc any more.

I know I've posted the number (and probably the text) on FTE before.

If you care to search my user name and 'wiper speed control' or 'governor module' -or some combination- I'm sure it will pop up.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I didn't find the bulletin or TSB, but I found something better: How To Fix Your Wiper Governor.  Well done, Jim!

But, would you mind if I used your pics and created a page on our website?  We already have a page on Windshield Wipers, but there's nothing on it.  So I could explain how the delay is a plug & play upgrade, but what the hazard is and how to fix it.  And, I'll give you credit.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You can use anything you like.
I don't need attribution.

Though I'm sure you can get better pictures than what I have.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I took your word for the attribution, took more pics, and wrote up the missing how-to-upgrade as well as how-to-repair verbiage.  Please see what you think: Electrical/Windshield Wipers and the Upgrade and Fix tabs.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
That's all good, but I will say that my pic's show a '90 (F0xx) part number that works just fine.
Also, I think a wrap of foam rubber will better help isolate the module and keep it from vibrating against anything solid up in the dash.

On my truck the mount/stay actually bolts *to* the parking brake assembly.
So, you can really understand why it takes a hit every time the truck is driven.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll add the F0 number, and suggest the foam rubber.  Thanks.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jim - I added the verbiage, but see what you think - please.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In your first paragraph you say all you need is the module.
But no, you also need a delay switch with the ground wire and the ability to turn counterclockwise.

The two speed switch will not plug into the delay module (though it will plug directly into the dash harness)
 Jim,
1 ... 678910