classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

1984 F150 clutch pedal switch

Frogger2662
This post was updated on .
Would a 1984 F150 4 speed manual origionlly have a neutral saftey switch on the transmission or a clutch pedal switch? The transmission was changed to an automatic. I have converted it to a T5.
1984 F150 Flareside
1992 stock 5.0 with edelbrock 4 barrel.
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1984 F150 clutch pedal switch

Frogger2662
I found the answer. Mounted on the transmission origionally. Any idea on adding a switch to the pedal? A link to a normally open momentary plunger switch that I could adapt? Thanks
1984 F150 Flareside
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
By '84 the harness (should) come set up for both, in series.

Whichever transmission goes in, the other plug gets jumpered.

This can be seen in the EVTM here on the site.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Frogger2662
The truck does not have the original wiring harness installed. When it was swapped over to an automatic the switch on the aod was wired in. I see no mounting poing on the pedal for a switch.
1984 F150 Flareside
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Interesting!

The pedal boxes are the same 83-86, though obviously different, manual or automatic, as is the column and cluster. .

Edit: if you don't have the original harness, im afraid any diagram I might have to offer isn't going to help
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
In reply to this post by Frogger2662
Just mount a switch on the firewall that interrupts the starter relay.

Here is what I did once. I attached a flexible L bracket I cut off a joist hanger and used it to press that switch. If you are interested in this approach I can send links to a couple of switches to try.

A hole is made in the firewall and the threaded switch is attached to it using 2 nuts (one inside and one outside with a lock washer). In this implementation, the switch was physically pressed only when the clutch was depressed all the way. This avoided unnecessary wear and tear on the switch while driving. I used a flexible L bracket as I wanted some "give". I'm sure this idea can be implemented in a manner that looks more professional vs. what I've shown here. I just wanted something that worked.

Vivek

- 'Big Blue 2WD' - 1984 F350 RWD 460/C6
- 1978 Bronco with the heart of a 1986 F250 Bullnose - under restoration
- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
viven44 wrote
Just mount a switch on the firewall that interrupts the starter relay
Sorry to be pedantic, but be careful with your phrasing.

Let's be clear, that this is a NOSP momentary switch in the blue/red "crank" wire circuit. (what would be B/R, if the factory harness existed)

The switch, -when depressed- allows power to flow from the switch on the 'lower' steering column to the 'S' terminal of the fender mounted starter relay.

It might be wise to have a low durometer rubber bumper push the switch, so the pedal doesn't hit a hard stop every time the clutch is depressed.
You know, like a gumdrop looking one with a pull through stem you might find in the Dorman or Needa aisle of the parts store.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Thanks for clarifying Jim. Yes that is exactly what that is. I picked a switch that could handle 15A although I understand the starter relay needs <5A. The one I chose was a normally-open clutch safety switch meant for a 93 Toyota or Honda, will need to check.

I considered a rubber bumper, that would certainly work best. The one I implemented did not cause the pedal to bump the switch unless the clutch was all the way down. It needed conscious effort to depress the clutch until it stopped. This was only to start the truck.

In normal driving/shifting no one should need to push the clutch pedal that far.

In fact this switch could be mounted anywhere near the steering column and be hand activated, but tying it with a clutch depress would be most pragmatic.
Vivek

- "Bonded Bronco" -1985 Bronco - 302 4-speed fuel injected, Hibernating future project
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm glad to hear that the switch is intended, and fit for purpose.

Yeah. I hadn't envisioned the "end of stroke" because my truck still has the self adjusting clutch interlock that Jeff didn't understand was supposed to be there.

Sorry.  

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
No worries

This is the switch I used, but any normally open switch that can handle at least 10 amps should work.

Standard Motor Products NS151 Clutch Switch
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C7Y8ZO/?coliid=I38L90YSPJJ12J&colid=3IGQF00LDI4AO&psc=1&ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_lstpd_7RQ9HA974MC53R6J0VXR

Here is another tank of a switch that I found after the fact... I liked it so much I bought it and I have kept it for something else in the future. I am sure it would work as well..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0995T3X9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
On a manual transmission I was tought to ALWAYS push in the clutch when starting and let the clutch up slowly once running.
No need for a stupid switch to save dumb people
Also to push on the brake pedal before turning the key to make sure it has brakes.

Now on a auto I can see a NSS as you dont have a clutch to let up slowly once running.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Frogger2662
I am 61 years old and have been driving manual transmissions since I started driving. I am fully aware how to properly use a clutch pedal. I am not the only person that may drive this truck. Drivers now a days are not as familiar with a standard as the older generation. I would like to save my truck from being damaged by some one else.
Thanks for your opinion!
1984 F150 Flareside
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
I’m sure Dave was just kidding…

I highly recommend having a clutch safety. I drove manuals for the first 10+ years of driving but occasionally catch myself getting in the truck and just cranking, as I keep switching between automatic and manual.
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I'm doing the same going between a 4 speed and autos routinely. I must say it is easy to hit the key without pushing the clutch and it is just as easy to hold the wide auto brake pedal before the key. it's just human. I know of at least one time that I'm sure the security camera at lowes caught me bucking the truck by hitting the key without pushing the clutch. you can be perfect 99.9 % of the time but it happens. there is no accounting for how often these safeties save us whether we like it or not. even still, I don't like them.
Reply | Threaded
|

viven44
Yep... No one is perfect. One time is all it takes for a lawsuit
Vivek

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That is why I didn't want to put a simple toggle switch on Big Blue to bypass the clutch safety.  At almost 77 it won't be long before it'll be my offspring driving it.  And I don't want to be responsible for them getting hurt.

So I took great pains to create a bypass arrangement that gives the driver 10 seconds to start w/o releasing the clutch after arming the system.  But only 10 seconds, so it has to be pretty deliberate.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by viven44
viven44 wrote
. One time is all it takes for a lawsuit
This is a large part of why I don't want to live on this planet anymore.  😖
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Frogger2662
To be honest I never even thought about a lawsuit. I was only thinking about my kids and grandkids getting hurt are hurting some one else.
1984 F150 Flareside
Dual exhaust.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You and I are close in age.

We don't come from a time and place where picking up a phone to call the cops or a lawyer is the first option....
 Jim,