Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: 1981 F150 Blue. Named Walter, for now anyway

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Progress!  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
Thanks again Randy. I appreciate you getting me some much needed parts!

rcarlisle wrote
Update 2/16/2022: Got this pile of parts on 2/12/2022.  Some for me, some for Jonathan.  May go back for more.   Looking forward to getting the woodgrain dash bezel in.  Got some woodgrain vinyl coming to cover the bad spots

2/15 - added electric assist choke cap.  Wired to stator post on alternator.   Helps open the choke as it is supposed to.  

1981 Ford F100 6 Cylinder 4.9 Litre 1 Barrel
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Yep, you're welcome.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
update 2-21-2022:  Cleaned up the instrument bezel I got last week.  Ordered some vinyl wood grain contact paper (vinyl) for $7 from Amazon.   Applied.   I painted over the chromed parts with Molotow chrome.  Used a makeup sponge from the wife.   Dabbed the edge of sponge in the chrome ink, then dabbed and rubbed over the ridges.   Still need to do some cleaning where I dabbed too hard.   This changes things a lot for me.   It is just strange to look at it after I got used to the black weave.   And no one but bullnose people ever noticed it.  

I also took the lens off the gauges and took a look at temp gauge.  It never read very high and had a starting point farther left than the others.   Turns out it was folded to the left - I may have done this when painting the needles?   So I took some tweezers and gently bent it to the right to line up more like the others.  Yesterday was a cool day (low 40s), so hard to tell how much difference that will make, but it appears to have improved the range when truck warms up.  

See photos.  

Before:

After before tach in place.

Complete:
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It looks great!  Well done!  

And I hope the change will "fix" the temp gauge.  I bet it will.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
Nice!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The temp gauge worked before, just low.   Never reached the N in normal.   But I knew what the normal range was with it like that.  And it would rise on a warm day after turning the truck off if I kept the key on, so I know it was working beyond that spot.  BUt I hope this makes it look more correct.  

I probably should have asked to see a photo of someone's gauge with key off to see where the resting position is.   I lined mine up with the fuel gauge as best I could.   Mom had a 78 Granada, so I'm used to the fuel gauge and how it goes way below E and above F.  

Next project is going to have to be power steering hoses or pump.   Thing leaks something awful.   Works well, so not sure if it's pump or hoses.   And that was something they didn't replace when they did the engine.  

Thanks for the compliments.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Here is a "before " pic of the panel.   This was bundled in a with that bunch of stuff posted earlier.   Just a little work and it came out great to me.   And nowhere near the $100+ cost on ebay these days.

I didn't go all out on it.  Just cleaned all the scaly stuff and dirt.   A little heat gun action to help the vinyl settle.  We'll see how long it lasts.

Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
Whoah, that looks really good to me! I was just having a chat with my wife showing her some old pics of Rocky before I started compared to now. It's crazy how even though the final product is still "retro" just a little bit of love can turn a cringe-worthy appearance into something you can love. Nice job!
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Oh yeah, when we bought this, it was a "heap".   Interior was like a serial killer dump site.   My wife viewed it as an old trash run truck.   She is not a car person.  But she is coming around.   She still doesn't understand why I do things, til I show her the photos.   But then the lightbulb goes off and she gets why I did a particular upgrade.  Go back to first page of this thread and you'll see what it was.   And like all project threads, it has come around.  

I did see that is was solid enough to be a starting point.  Had all the "heavy lifting" done, i.e. new engine, trans, cooling, charging, fuel systems (before the carb parts).  

I found a can of paint in my building that actually matches this paint - Rustoleum 2X Navy.   Going to touch up a few spots as I need to.  Then wetsand with 800 to blend with surrounding.   I have been watching some vids with patina paint ideas and I have more to try.  

Wish I had some Explorer paint schemes with a solid dark blue.   I really want it to be two toned either similar to original or at least blue/white.   BUt I really like the orginal scheme like Jonathan's.  Mine is like that under this crappy blue.  That would involve redoing my door lettering but I could manage that again.  Maybe better this time?

Ok, I am reduced to rambling now.  Thanks for all the compliments and tips along the way.  And keep on your own projects.
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
New update.  I really haven't done much since the last one.  New wheels.  Bought at swap meet for $100.  Installed on old tires that only have about 5k miles.  

Randy

1 ... 12131415