classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
59 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Year-To-Year Differences?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The issue is that what I've shown you here is, as I'm sure you've noticed, just shows the # of the parts list.

I realize that just having the # of the list doesn't do much good, so I'll have to figure out how to post the parts lists themselves.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Yes, I noticed that, shame that parts CD only goes to 1989.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  The exhaust area is a huge quagmire!  There are 12 pages of listings, like above, that show the vehicle and what parts list it uses.  And there are 36 pages of parts lists.  

I think I see a way to simplify things a bit, but just a bit.  And you'd still have to scrooooooolll way, way down to find things.

And, I don't really think that the parts lists are all that useful.  I've included some of them below, but who wants to know the part numbers for exhaust parts?  I think I'd rather look #'s up for people than spend a lot of time creating something that isn't very useful.

Thoughts, please.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I agree on not needing it unless (a) you are doing an exact restoration or (b) are in an area where modifications are restricted. You can go to Walker's site, maybe Rock Auto or others to see what was used fairly well.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll be happy to find the parts list # and send the parts list itself to someone if they are in a or b position.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As an update, David found the '80 and '86 light truck facts books for me, and as it turned out that dealer also had an '85 that hadn't been listed yet.  So those are in the mail to me and in a week or so I can get all but the '84 entries in the engine table filled in.  And, I'll add the engine info from those books to the relevant pages.

But a lot more work needs to be done to get the Y2Y page cleaned up and usable.  Fortunately I'll have some time to do that during the World Series as I find baseball to be a sport that can be "watched" while doing other things - like .

Anyway, please review the engine table and associated engine pages and let me know if they work for you.

Year-To-Year Differences and the Engine & Driveline tab.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Did a bit more on the Y2Y differences page: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/year-to-year-differences.html.  Take a look at what I'm doing and see what you think.  And, look at what I found on the up-shift indicator on the Electrical tab.  

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
 And, look at what I found on the up-shift indicator on the Electrical tab.  
That would fall in line with the fact that my son's 1984 with manual OD and fuel saver package [2.47 rear gears and front air dam] has the bezel for upshift indicator, but no wiring.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
David - I'm not sure if that is consistent or not.  The MPC says 1983 only, which fits with Daniel's 1984 truck having the bezel but not the wiring nor, presumably, the switch.  But I know the MPC has errors, like the one I just caught regarding the radiator brackets.

However, the 1984 and 1985 EVTM's show that those trucks should have the wiring since they both show the up-shift indicator wiring.  And yet the 1983 EVTM doesn't show the wiring.

The clues aren't consistent.  Perhaps the up-shift indicator did come out in '83 as the MPC says, but the '83 EVTM was published too early for that to be included.  And to support that theory, my '83 EVTM was copyrighted in 1982.  (My '87 EVTM was copyrighted in 1987, and it is the only other one of my EVTM's to give a copyright date.)

But why do the '84 and '85 EVTM's still show the circuitry when Daniel's '84, which fits the MPC's criteria for having the switch and, one would think, the circuitry, doesn't have it.  Or, might his truck have the switch and not the wiring?  Is that something you could check?

And, are you ok with me documenting his truck as not having the wiring (and switch)?  I'd like to capture what we can find on this issue, including build date and manufacturing plant.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Where would the switch be located?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Here’s the illustration from the EVTM’s:  (Sorry for the orientation, but you get the picture.  😎)

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
So, driver's side? Does it run parallel to the speedometer cable? I wonder why it is called "top gear" switch?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, it appears to follow the speedo cable. And here’s how it is supposed to work. Sideways again, in spite of my efforts to prevent that. 😩

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
That makes sense. Thank you!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, with David's help I've added these books to the library.  All are Light Truck Facts books with the exception of the "Data Book", which is a 1984 book.  It has some information, but I'm still on the hunt for a true '84 Light Truck Facts Book to complete the set.

And the set looks like this:

So now I'm ready to finish the engine table, and then move on to other similar tables, like transmissions.  Plus, I should have more engine spec's to add.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
1986F150Six wrote
So, driver's side? Does it run parallel to the speedometer cable? I wonder why it is called "top gear" switch?
 Follow-up to this topic: There is no [upshift] switch or wiring on the 1984 truck.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
There is no switch or wiring on my son's 1984. Feel free to document, Gary.
Gary Lewis wrote
David - I'm not sure if that is consistent or not.  The MPC says 1983 only, which fits with Daniel's 1984 truck having the bezel but not the wiring nor, presumably, the switch.  But I know the MPC has errors, like the one I just caught regarding the radiator brackets.

However, the 1984 and 1985 EVTM's show that those trucks should have the wiring since they both show the up-shift indicator wiring.  And yet the 1983 EVTM doesn't show the wiring.

The clues aren't consistent.  Perhaps the up-shift indicator did come out in '83 as the MPC says, but the '83 EVTM was published too early for that to be included.  And to support that theory, my '83 EVTM was copyrighted in 1982.  (My '87 EVTM was copyrighted in 1987, and it is the only other one of my EVTM's to give a copyright date.)

But why do the '84 and '85 EVTM's still show the circuitry when Daniel's '84, which fits the MPC's criteria for having the switch and, one would think, the circuitry, doesn't have it.  Or, might his truck have the switch and not the wiring?  Is that something you could check?

And, are you ok with me documenting his truck as not having the wiring (and switch)?  I'd like to capture what we can find on this issue, including build date and manufacturing plant.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by 1986F150Six
1986F150Six wrote
 Follow-up to this topic: There is no [upshift] switch or wiring on the 1984 truck.
My 1984 has the "Upshift" lens in the instrument bezel, but no bulb or wiring. The EVTM shows that it was only with EEC on the 300/6, so my truck being a 302 with DSII and 3spd manual, of course it was never there.

It was an interesting little piece of kit for it's day. I'd be curious to finally see one that is still in working condition. I don't know how many people are still running the 300/6 trucks with electronic engine control.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Rembrant wrote
1986F150Six wrote
My 1984 has the "Upshift" lens in the instrument bezel, but no bulb or wiring. The EVTM shows that it was only with EEC on the 300/6, so my truck being a 302 with DSII and 3spd manual, of course it was never there.

It was an interesting little piece of kit for it's day. I'd be curious to finally see one that is still in working condition. I don't know how many people are still running the 300/6 trucks with electronic engine control.
My son and his very original 1984 with 4.9L engine.