classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
77 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Woodgrain repair kit [for idears only]

Ford F834
Administrator
Hello Perry, I was the one who had promised the brushed aluminum door panel for a sample to clone. Please accept my apologies for the lack of follow through. Last year was pretty much off the rails with family emergencies and I was not able to do a lot of the things I said. It bothers me to not be able to keep my word.

I ended up finding a matching door panel for the other side, and I have an arrangement to sell my NOS brushed aluminum parts to Gary for “Dad’s Truck”. This part is no longer mine to loan. While it is not NOS, I do still have a non-AC in instrument bezel with decent sized panels on either side of the cluster that might work as an area to image and replicate. Since I have compared it side by side with NOS pieces, I can assure that it is a good candidate. It is in storage at my folks house, and not immediately accessible, but perhaps after summer we can revisit cloning the brushed aluminum. I have some donor bezels, horn pads and door panels that could be refinished.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens when Perry gets settled in.

Hopefully he can source some good matches for the burl and rosewood dashes, as this seems a really nice upgrade to 'bordello' red.

I also look forward to seeing what can be done for a brushed aluminum finish.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jonathan & Perry - I really want to see this come to fruition, so if it takes sending my to-be panel so be it.  Let's make this happen.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Perry Bush

Hi Gary – I’m a little confused, I don’t see another recipient so don’t think Jonathan saw this?  Is that the person with the silver parts?  Ford F834?  I got an email from someone about that but didn’t mention their name and it’s been a while.   I’m getting copied on emails that look like they’re from the forum, but are they on the forum also?!   Are my replies, like this one, going to everyone?

In any case, I am absolutely beyond swamped.  Really the best I can offer for the next few months at least is to spend some time on the phone with you and/or others and explain exactly how I’ve done this before.   Someone with the knowledge of the parts already, armed with just a little more information about the vinyl decal world, I think would get results faster than the inverse.  

I’m sorry, I had a head of steam going on this but getting settled in a new home, projects scattered from end to end, while preparing for my wife’s mom to move in soon…I have so little spare time, this will take forever.   If someone happens to live close to a print shop, or a place that does custom vinyl wraps for cars, ultimately the place that you’d have do the digital designs and printing, that’s a HUGE help.  Many hours will be spent with trial and error, fine tuning, test fitting, etc.   Sadly I’m now an hour’s drive from my guy but we can do a lot on the phone now.  There’s really no way to do this effectively without a good face to face relationship with the printer.

Please think about that, any likely candidates, and we could set up a conference type call if more than two of us?   Otherwise waiting for me to do the orchestrating wouldn’t kick off till maybe Sept?   If someone else has the time and energy to lead, I’ll help whenever we can get together.

Perry

From: Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]>
Sent: Monday, May 25, 2020 5:12 PM
To: Perry Bush <[hidden email]>
Subject: RE: Woodgrain repair kit [for idears only]

Jonathan & Perry - I really want to see this come to fruition, so if it takes sending my to-be panel so be it.  Let's make this happen.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker in front & 10.25 Spicer/Trutrac in back, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Woodgrain-repair-kit-for-ideas-only-tp30473p62539.html

To unsubscribe from Woodgrain repair kit [for ideas only], click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Perry - I can understand the confusion.  Basically the deal is that when you post in a thread on this forum you get "subscribed" to that thread and will get email notification when someone posts in it.

In addition, you can post by replying to the email, but that brings with it a lot of baggage of previous posts unless you clear them out.  So the best way to post is to log onto the forum.

As for Jonathan, he is Ford F834.  Sorry that I didn't explain that.  Anyway, he is the guy with the majority of the XLS/brushed aluminum trim.  And he, like you, is really busy with family and job issues.  Plus, he lives in the hinterlands of Arizona so probably doesn't have access to someone that does printing or vinyl wrapping

And while I have one piece of XLS trim, my daughter and family will be moving in with us for a few weeks as of Saturday.  Plus, I'm trying to add content to the website, progress my project on Big Blue, and get ready for some kind of truck show in September.

Basically, the three of us are busy with other things at the moment.  So what I suggest is that we let this one sit for a bit.  Perhaps by Octoberish we will have time to address it.  Does that work for you?

Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Perry Bush
Yes, Gary is correct... I live in rural Arizona and there are no vinyl or graphics related businesses in my area that I am aware off. As much as I would like to help with this, I would probably have to work with someplace in Las Vegas or Phoenix, both of which are quite a long drive and won’t be happening any time soon. I would like to try DIY hydrodip that I could do at home, but I have not found a suitable film.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Perry Bush
No problem guys,  understood and thanks for patience.   Gotta get these few big things behind me, and will jump in again!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
From: "Ford F834 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts]" <[hidden email]>
Date: 5/26/20 10:41 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: Perry Bush <[hidden email]>
Subject: RE: Woodgrain repair kit [for idears only]

Yes, Gary is correct... I live in rural Arizona and there are no vinyl or graphics related businesses in my area that I am aware off. As much as I would like to help with this, I would probably have to work with someplace in Las Vegas or Phoenix, both of which are quite a long drive and won’t be happening any time soon. I would like to try DIY hydrodip that I could do at home, but I have not found a suitable film.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 SRW under construction-- 7.3 IDIT R&D 64mm intercooled turbo 150cc IP stage 1 cam main girdle 13" Southbend clutch ZF-5 + GearVendors overdrive 4.10 axle gears hydroboost brakes

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4 conversion-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Woodgrain-repair-kit-for-ideas-only-tp30473p62688.html
To unsubscribe from Woodgrain repair kit [for ideas only], click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

BARRYS83F100
gary thanks so much for pictures of panels , now I know how they fasten on now onto next question in 1983 when you got the "XLT " did they all come with "rosewood" on door panel ? or was that a set up package ? and they all had the chrome n "XLT " correct ? I have seen " XLT " W/O " rosewood " on doors but do not know if altered by previous owner and by dealer literature I cannot tell.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Barry - I want you to see where the info is so you'll have confidence in it.  Go to the page at Documentation/Literature and it'll show you a spreadsheet for much of the complete doc's that are on the site.  Scroll down to the row that says Dealer Facts Book and click on the On Site for 1983.

That opens up the 1983 Dealer Facts Book.  Then click on the Vehicles tab and then the F-Series 4x2 tab.  And then go to:

Page 4: Standard features, and it looks like the base trucks had no extra trim

Page 7: Shows the XL trim, and those trucks got "bright" trim on the front doors, which I take to be the chrome surround.

Page 8: Shows the XLT trim, and the doors there got "woodtone applique"

Does that help?

Reply | Threaded
|

BARRYS83F100
Yes Gary i did not know about that page great info thank you!

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
On the XLS trim, do you happen to know what the horn pad with cruise looked like?  my truck has the black basket weave bezels but the rosewood pattern horn pad for use with cruise and I am curious about the XLS and if it might would look better with the basket weave than the rosewood design.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
XLS is a brushed aluminum.  Very rare.  I don't, yet, have one but Jonathan does.

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Ah ok, so it probably wouldnt look good with the black basket weave dash trim then.  Just was thinking outside the box as the woodgrain is quite hard to find in NOS condition ive had the NOS part number plugged in ebay for 2 years now and the only hits I get are for the non cruise variant.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'd think if you get hits for the non-cruise variant you have the wrong part number....
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Nope I have a saved search for the exact part number and then I do another save of the same part number minus the suffix cause some people dont type out the whole part number in their listings I noticed.  So without the suffix at the end it opens up a wider arrange of hits.  I even get hits for the stylized steering wheel horn pads that have the ford oval and is round with 6 screws that hold it to the steeringwheel because of this.  But I rather get hits like this in the off chance some fool doesnt type out the whole part number in their listing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Rusty_S85

This one is a silver spray paint clone that one of our members made to match genuine XLS bezels. This might be an option especially if you just want something that looks good with black weave and does not have to match exactly with the brushed texture:

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Interesting.  I will have to think on that one.  its a toss up now between the wood grain or the silver xls style.  If I go xls style I could just clean up what I have and shoot it in silver paint since mine is not chipped or damaged its just the wood grain has been worn off down to the base brown.