classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
77 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Woodgrain repair kit [for idears only]

kramttocs
Administrator
Are you looking for a name other than Burlwood? Looking at http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/instrument--radio-bezels.html Ford called both Rosewood and Burlwood 'wood grain'.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Perry Bush
The burl wood pattern actually does look quite nice when not faded. I sent a set of bezels to Ken/SCFlareside sometime ago that were very attractive, especially against the 84+ Canyon Red dash. I don’t know if I still have any decent unfaded radio bezels but I’ll have a look when I get a chance.

The brushed aluminum bezels really are quite rare. Used ones come up on eBay a time or two per year at best. Often they are pretty rough. David found the NOS bezel that I now have, and it is the only unused one I have ever heard of. I’m not trying to boast but I truly believe it may be the only NOS bezel left. I am conflicted because I don’t want to let go of it but I do want good reproductions available. I think I would be willing to lend out the F600 window crank / speaker cover piece with the expectation that I would receive it back eventually. It has the same finish and is NOS condition. If you do find a suitable film I would like the chance to buy a full set (both dash bezels, speed control horn pad, and the two window crank / speaker covers) and to make sure Gary has the opportunity to obtain a set for Dad’s Truck if he so desires. I can supply parts to be wrapped, either from what I have or purchase some.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Perry Bush
F834 -  I totally understand!   Actually the larger the sample the better.  That door panel piece would be perfect and of course I would treat it with great care, have it back to you within a few weeks.  If that's cool, please go ahead.  I'm at:

Perry Bush
E2492 Lindee Ln
Waupaca, WI 54981

pab1063@new.rr.com  or  920-205-1295

What's extra nice about the large piece is that if we really can't find a suitable existing material, a good photographer could create the file from which the pattern could be reprinted.   This isn't 100% exact of course but I've done it twice with a fellow that knows what he's doing and we can get darn close.   Here's a picture on an NOS part on top of a pattern that was developed from a picture of a completely different part.   Image modification software is absolutely mind blowing....can do just about anything with it once you have a good resolution digital image file.

Thanks again

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Wow!  That is amazing!  I'll keep my fingers crossed that you will get the brushed aluminum pattern nailed.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Hi Perry,

I'm back online after a busy July.  I don't blame you for not wanting to drop serious cash on Rosewood specimens, but these are pretty nice and representative of good quality Rosewood (IMO)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1986-Ford-F150-XLT-Bronco-dash-cluster-BEZEL-RADIO-BEZEL-WOOD-GRAIN-NICE/372738294930?hash=item56c8ef0492:g:5IYAAOSw9rtdU2Fd

Thanks to 1986F150Six for the find in the eBay section
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Perry Bush
Thanks - I already bought an NOS center dash piece with the Rosewood pattern, using it to compare samples while searching for a vinyl that is a match.

Hopefully will be getting an aluminum piece from F834 to borrow.

What I still need is an excellent drivers cluster cover with the Burlwood pattern.

Then I'll have woodgrain pattern references as well as physical parts to design the restoration kits.  I already have a pattern for the steering wheel horn pads.

Thanks again!
Perry

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Perry Bush wrote
Thanks - I already bought an NOS center dash piece with the Rosewood pattern, using it to compare samples while searching for a vinyl that is a match.

What I still need is an excellent drivers cluster cover with the Burlwood pattern.

Then I'll have woodgrain pattern references as well as physical parts to design the restoration kits.  I already have a pattern for the steering wheel horn pads.

Thanks again!
Perry
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-OEM-Ford-1985-1986-F150-Truck-Bronco-Center-Dash-Bezel-Pickup-Woodgrain/123832632045?epid=516138271&hash=item1cd50002ed:g:2YEAAOSwNphWXMGw

Reply | Threaded
|

Perry Bush
Thanks for the link but what I needed was the driver's cluster cover, already have the center piece in Rosewood.   No worries, just found what appears to be a decent example and it's on the way:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-1986-FORD-BRONCO-TRUCK-INSTRUMENT-DASH-GAUGE-CLUSTER-BEZEL-F150-f250-nice/163640545058?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Reply | Threaded
|

Perry Bush
Woops, that link might not work.   Here are pics of the one I bought and the NOS example on ebay.    I can see mine must be faded but will still be a good reference for the pattern, and can use the NOS pictures to approximate the color.

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Both of those pictures are a little poor, here's an original example (click me for more pictures).

Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
Hi Perry, checking to see if you have any updates or how the community might help further?
1985 Flareside 4x4, Silver, 302, AOD, BFG Mud 33x12.50s.  California truck with 140k original miles :)  (and slowly going up)

1977 F250 4x4 Highboy, Dec '76 production.  NP435 4 Speed, NP205, 4:10s.    Military 36.5s
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Woodgrain repair kit [for idears only]

Perry Bush

Hello!  Honestly, I haven’t thought about this for a while.   I bought a few pieces from ebay to start with on the woodgrain and never really found a good match available.  Had started a conversation about how important an exact match was, and feedback varied.   While waiting fro vendor samples to come in, which never did, I tried a few times to have another member send some of the silver-like pieces for the same purpose but that conversation just ended and I didn’t want to be a pest about it.  Started to feel like a lot of work but not gaining much ground…

I’m building a mother-in-law apartment now onto our house and will take virtually all my free time through most of the summer.   Might try again when that slows up some, though I have projects piling up all around me.  

I appreciate you checking in.  I don’t even know where to look for the parts I bought but I’ll try to hunt them down and at least get an idea of what I still need to make a complete set in any of the patterns…I think I was close.   

Thanks,

Perry

From: SCFlareside [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2020 2:07 PM
To: Perry Bush <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Woodgrain repair kit [for idears only]

Hi Perry, checking to see if you have any updates or how the community might help further?

1985 Flareside 4x4, Silver, 302, AOD, BFG Mud 33x12.50s.  California truck with 140k original miles :)  (and slowly going up)

1977 F250 4x4 Highboy, Dec '76 production.  NP435 4 Speed, NP205, 4:10s.    Military 36.5s

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Woodgrain-repair-kit-for-ideas-only-tp30473p61856.html

To unsubscribe from Woodgrain repair kit [for ideas only], click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Perry Bush
In reply to this post by SCFlareside

Hello!  Honestly, I haven’t thought about this for a while.   I bought a few pieces from ebay to start with on the woodgrain and never really found a good match available.  Had started a conversation about how important an exact match was, and feedback varied.   While waiting fro vendor samples to come in, which never did, I tried a few times to have another member send some of the silver-like pieces for the same purpose but that conversation just ended and I didn’t want to be a pest about it.  Started to feel like a lot of work but not gaining much ground…

I’m building a mother-in-law apartment now onto our house and will take virtually all my free time through most of the summer.   Might try again when that slows up some, though I have projects piling up all around me.  

I appreciate you checking in.  I don’t even know where to look for the parts I bought but I’ll try to hunt them down and at least get an idea of what I still need to make a complete set in any of the patterns…I think I was close.   

Thanks,

Perry

From: SCFlareside [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2020 2:07 PM
To: Perry Bush <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Woodgrain repair kit [for idears only]

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Woodgrain-repair-kit-for-ideas-only-tp30473p61856.html

To unsubscribe from Woodgrain repair kit [for ideas only], click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

SCFlareside
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Thanks for the reply!  I think that (my opinion) close is better than nothing at all... if my truck had at least matching pieces, and they were close to original, noone but a true enthusiast would know the wiser

Also, if you did either the burlwood OR the rosewood it would be a start!

Not rushing you, best wishes on all that you're doing now.  The community is out here, and you've found in my opinion the best site to tap for reasonable feedback and straight up folks

Regards,
Ken

Reply | Threaded
|

BARRYS83F100
Members & Perry what about the rosewood door panel inserts ? My question to members how are these panels attached ? As you know we have XL style door panels available but nothing for XLT, I for one have been wanting to convert my XL to XLT style interior but as you know I need the wood inserts for food panels and the chrome trim around panels. Members thoughts ? Perry able to cover panels with new material ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll have to check, but can't until tomorrow.  However, I think the panels are held on with tabs that bend over on the back side of the door panel.  And I know the chrome trim is held on with a combo of tabs and sheetmetal nuts on studs.

So the Rosewood panels and the chrome trim can be added to your door panels.  It'll take a bit of cutting and drilling, but it can be done.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Early panels were held on with bendable tabs, later plastic panels were held on with clips that press onto "studs" molded to the panel.

Chrome trim is exactly as Gary described.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Perry, when you do get the chance, I would also be interested on having you re do the wood grain on my dash panel. Dave found an NOS radio bezel and I bought it as my Bronco came with the larger radio cut out and only a single knob. I would like the dash to match the new wood grain on it.

Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

BARRYS83F100
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Yes Gary keep me posted that is next thing on my to do list install chrome & rosewood panels
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Barry - Here are some pics that I hope will help.  First, a door panel w/o any trim but showing the holes where the trims' tabs and fasteners go.  The round holes take studs that get a nut pushed down over them, and the slots take a tab that gets bent over.

And here's the chrome trim showing its tabs and studs:

And here's the best I could do on a Rosewood panel.  It is the later 85/86 velour insert, but it fastens pretty much the way the Rosewood insert would.