What have I gotten myself into? 🤣

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What have I gotten myself into? 🤣

essmaker
Hello all. Thank you for so much great information!!

A couple years ago I got roped into buying a  1985 F150 from my son. He bought it thinking that it would be a fun project. Two weeks later he sold it to me. 🤣

I have been busy as there is nothing about this truck that doesn't need work!

The day I first saw it...oh my...what a fancy paint job, done with house paint and a roller

I started at the rear and rebuilt everything that was wearable. I'll have to grab some better pictures

Next was ripping out the interior to get rid of a smell worse than death

Now I am putting fresh power in it along with rebuilding the front end.

I'll have to get better pictures to show the work going into this thing.

Can't wait to get it back alive.

I need to find a bed...or possibly build a flatbed.

Thanks again for all the great information!!

Erik

1985 F150 4x4 - 351W, C6 - work in progress
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What have I gotten myself into? 🤣

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Glutton for punishment, eh?  

Welcome!

Glad you've signed up!
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by essmaker
Welcome!  Glad you joined.  

That looks like quite the project, but it will be very rewarding when it is done.  

Nice shop.  You really need a lot of room to take things like that apart.  Been there, done that.

So, where's home>  We have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and can add you with a city/state or zip.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

essmaker
Home is Gaylord,  Michigan.

The heated shop is an absolute necessity during the winters to get out of the house. Summer will come with a lift for the shop. That will make it near perfect.

Thanks again,  all.
Erik

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
....  I have the same hoodie as your son!  😄
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I can well imagine the need for a heater.  Spent a bit of time in Traverse City and Mackinac Island a couple of years ago and understand it gets COLD and WET up there.  I guess you are a Yooper?

Anyway, you are on the map.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
essmaker wrote
 I got roped into buying a  1985 F150 from my son. He bought it thinking that it would be a fun project. Two weeks later he sold it to me. 🤣

Next was ripping out the interior to get rid of a smell worse than death
If you really want to torture somebody stuff a tuna fish sandwich way up into the springs under their seat, or put a raw shrimp into each of their hubcaps!

🤣🤣🤣🤣
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

essmaker
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Not a yooper...an hour south of the UP. Cold enough here, no need to go further north 😄
Erik

Reply | Threaded
|

essmaker
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
Hard to see in that picture,  but I had a fan blowing through the cab for days while sprayed it with bleach and anything else that I thought might help. Gagged just now thinking about it.
Erik

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I read recently about a "lady" that was in a divorce and lost the house.  So as her last act she stuffed shrimp in the curtain rods.  No one could figure out where the smell was and she bought the house back for a song.

So yes, stuffing things like that in remote places, like a headliner or seat causes all sorts of problems.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You needed to get an ozone machine and close the doors on the truck
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Back in the day, if the contractor didn't get paid, we would go to the store and get the biggest steak we could find and nail it to a stud before the Sheetrock.
It would take a week or more, and by that time the walls were painted and everything.

Sometimes it would take them weeks,
If it was summer they could find it pretty fast because the flies would swarm on the wall.  🤮
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

essmaker
Remind me to NEVER get on your bad side 🤣
Erik

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
We're all friends here!  

You need to see me go to bat for CJ over his little rubber bumpers!  🤣🤣🤣
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
A 50¢ rubber bumper.....  

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/LMC-Long-Motor-Company-tp71573p145687.html
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Welcome!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

essmaker
After getting thw firewall and frame painted, finally ready for the motor to be dropped in.

And also some new springs since they were easy to get to 😀

Only question now is....do I blow the few hundred bucks on new headers being they'll never be any easier to do than now....
Erik

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What are your plans for the truck?

Reply | Threaded
|

essmaker
Just something to drive when there isn't snow (or rather, salt) on the roads.

I wanted a truck that I can work on myself. No dang computers. I own 4 Fords....this one I wanted to just be something I can do anything needed.

Not to mention fine memories of the wife sliding across a bench seat next to me for a ride. Ah....the days before center consoles in everything.  😄
Erik

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
What are your goals for the truck?  (Ok, NVM...)

Headers that fit inside the frame rails, and clear 4x4  are rare and expensive in my experience.
 Jim,