Westward ho!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
49 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Westward ho!

reamer
I did the double stack of modules years ago too!
Used it this summer, it was exactly as described, like I turned off the system with the key, running fine and then just dead. Swapped plugs to the second module and fired right up....
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Matthew - Glad things are going well.  Hope they continue that way.

Ron - It is comforting to know the backup module is right there, ready to be plugged in.  The hardest part is getting the plugs apart.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
True! especially "under pressure" But I also made another mod.

On the left side, I made a "dual air scoop" where I have two snorkels coming in from the core support, 1 goes to the air cleaner as it should, the second one (the branch off) goes to an old 12v fan, blowing "outside air" around the carburetor.
On the right side, I have another modified snorkel going to a second 12v fan blowing outside air on the 2-DSII's.
Both fan's power is governed by a thermal switch located at the base of the carb. When it hits @120F in kicks the fans on and stays on (even with key off) until gets under 120F.
1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Wouldn’t the easier solution for the DS-II module be to relocate it to the inside of the cabin, and connect it up via a harness extension?

Fortunately, that appears to be an academic question for me - 10 hours on the road today to Bowling Green, zero problems.  I don’t think I was driving quite as hard this time, but I was still averaging 65+ for hours on end.  I think the problem would have shown if it were still there.

Gary, I owe you one.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No, you don't owe me.  I got a Beware Florida Man sticker.  We are even.  

Sure glad you had no problems today.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Dorsai wrote
Wouldn’t the easier solution for the DS-II module be to relocate it to the inside of the cabin, and connect it up via a harness extension?
So. Tell me about this Gary fellow.  Is he the real deal? 😪

Matthew, you should know that electronics need cooling.
Old, inefficient, electronics need even more cooling.

Stuffed under the seat, or in the kick, there's almost no airflow.
Compared to a 70 mph breeze on the inner fender.

A better solution would be a better heatsink or a radiator as part of the case.
Milling the top flat and adding some fins with paste between would help way more than isolating it from airflow.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
ArdWrknTrk wrote
So. Tell me about this Gary fellow.  Is he the real deal? 😪
He is!  A gentleman and a scholar, in fact.  I just hope my grandmother can climb down from DEFCON 1 when I visit her this weekend.

Matthew, you should know that electronics need cooling.
Old, inefficient, electronics need even more cooling.

Stuffed under the seat, or in the kick, there's almost no airflow.
Compared to a 70 mph breeze on the inner fender.
I do know that.  But...I also know that the source of the heat plays an important role when it comes to cooling - does the majority of the heat come internally from the power consumption of the module (anyone know what the draw is for these things?), or does it come externally from that lump of iron and fire sitting just a couple of feet away?  Then you have the problem of sitting in traffic, and the only breeze is coming from the engine fan, which is pulling air through a hot radiator.

A better solution would be a better heatsink or a radiator as part of the case.
Milling the top flat and adding some fins with paste between would help way more than isolating it from airflow.
Possibly...but I suspect Ford determined otherwise, and that's why when ECUs replaced ignition modules, they were put under the seat.  
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The efficiency of electronics increased at a tremendously from the mid '70's up into the early '90's.
That's what made efi, antilock brakes, and almost every control system found on modern cars possible.

Ford decided to pot them in a big armored case because they thought they knew how badly the module would be treated.

But you and me?
Some more delicate aluminum fins, keep an eye on the corrosion, could shed a lot more heat.

I think there must be a good amount of heat produced.
Even with the resistor wire in the circuit, the transistor is sinking the coil most of the time.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Only the EEC-III was under the seat, EEC-IV and EEC-V are in the cab, the 1985.5 and 1986 ones were in the dash, right side of the column, 1987-1996/7 they were outboard of the parking brake pedal with the connector on the engine side of the firewall, box inside.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413