classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
49 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Westward ho!

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh no!  Hope you make it in w/o another problem.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rogue_Wulff
In reply to this post by Dorsai
Dorsai wrote
I should have known many of you would have seen the original. :). I tried to get my wife to watch it, but she gave up before it got good. :(

I’m west of Little Rock now, but I’m running late - at my last fuel stop I could NOT get the truck started again - I’m thinking maybe the ignition module is overheated?  Took me about 90 minutes to get it going again, fortunately the station owner was OK with me blocking a pump for a bit.

But once it started, it was good  to go - I’m just not turning it off at the pumps now. :)
Not a good thing.
Hopefully, it'll be the last spot of bother on the trip...
1980 F150 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel NV4500 2.75 ratio 9"
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
The closer he gets, the closer the rescue squad is.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Don't worry Matthew. I hear there's a sketchy Gary fellow in NE OK who has a lot of Bullnose parts in his attic.

He can probably help you out.
Maybe he can even upgrade your alternator for you!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Shaun - As I was loading things onto the trailer and into the truck yesterday I thought "But, what if I have to go after someone?"

Jim - Parts we got.  If it is the ignition module I have him covered.  But I'm not sure I have the pickup module - unless the one in the 460's dizzy is the same one....... nope.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
His should be a DS-II, if nothing else you can demo the DS-II tester I traded you for the extra scope. I believe that the DS-II pickups were the same, but it requires disassembling the distributor for replacement.

I would be inclined to suspect the DS-II module more than the pickup coil, I had one go out on Darth pulling our 5th wheel trailer up 7 mountains grade on Rt. 322 in central PA. Just suddenly lost power, not like running out of gas, just like the key was turned off, big clue was the tach dropped like the key was off. Grabbed the spare DS-II box from behind the seat, swapped the plugs and wedged it where it couldn't move and finished the climb into the fairgrounds for the PA state Good Sam Samboree.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Rogue_Wulff
DS-2 modules never fail. LOL
I actually drove my truck for 17+ years on the same DS-2 pickup, coil, and module. Funny thing though, the inner fender is still covered with the goo that had melted out of the DS-2 box prior to my purchase of the truck. Last I knew, that same DS-2 module was still functioning well, under the hood of 70"s jeep cj, after his aftermarket brand failed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I do have DS-II modules, but I might set Matthew up with my stacked DS-II arrangement that's on Big Blue.  When he's sporting EEC-V he won't need it, so someone might as well have it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
So hot-fueling did the trick, I made it in to Owasso last night in good order.  One other weird thing, though...I started having problems getting back on the highway.  I could pull out of the station just fine, but as soon as I tried to give it some gas to get on the road it started bucking and staggering, but never quite stalled out.  After about 30 seconds of this it would clear up and drive just fine.  On my last stop before arrival I left the hood up (engine still running), and had no problems whatsoever getting on the road again.

Theory: I’m having DS-II heat problems, caused by excessive underhood temperatures.  Leaving the hood open to get some air in helps, as does getting the truck moving enough for a breeze to start cooling things down.

I haven’t tried to start the truck yet this morning, but I bet it starts with no difficulty.  And if it doesn’t, I have a spare module in my tub o’parts. 😁
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Rogue_Wulff
Dorsai wrote
So hot-fueling did the trick, I made it in to Owasso last night in good order.  One other weird thing, though...I started having problems getting back on the highway.  I could pull out of the station just fine, but as soon as I tried to give it some gas to get on the road it started bucking and staggering, but never quite stalled out.  After about 30 seconds of this it would clear up and drive just fine.  On my last stop before arrival I left the hood up (engine still running), and had no problems whatsoever getting on the road again.

Theory: I’m having DS-II heat problems, caused by excessive underhood temperatures.  Leaving the hood open to get some air in helps, as does getting the truck moving enough for a breeze to start cooling things down.

I haven’t tried to start the truck yet this morning, but I bet it starts with no difficulty.  And if it doesn’t, I have a spare module in my tub o’parts. 😁
Matthew, I want to have a look under your hood. Those symptoms are very familiar to me, as I had the same issues ~20-22 years ago. It was fueling issue... I resolved the issue, and had no more hot start issues over the next ~15 years.
Glad you made it! I had actually just sent a text to Gary asking if he had heard anything further from you in regards to the rest of the trip. If you're free this afternoon, you're more than welcome to join us prior to the MPG test loop. I know I'll have a seat available....
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, as said in the email just now, please come on over early.  David should be on the road and has an ETA of 3:00.  Chris is on the road and Google says he should be here by 4:00, but in his case maybe by 6:00?    Paul, come on when you want.  I'm just getting things ready.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
You can always buy a $.99 bag of ice and toss it on top if the truck doesn't want to start.

Of course this only works until the unit decides to give up completely
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
David should be on the road and has an ETA of 3:00.  
Hey Gary, make sure you pass the word on to David that the Garagemahal Marketplace "Ebay Finds" has been a little quiet the past couple days...lol.

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I'm just waiting for pictures with this "Gary" fellow to make sure he's the real deal.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
You can always buy a $.99 bag of ice and toss it on top if the truck doesn't want to start.

Of course this only works until the unit decides to give up completely
Or you can stop by a certain garage in Skiatook and get fixed up with the newfangled Duraspark IV dual-module ignition system - patent pending, I’m sure.

Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'll pass it on to David that he's slacking.  He should be out here on the porch in a few minutes.

As for being the real deal, I'm not sure about that.  But I suspect there will be pictures today.  

And I like that ignition module mount.  Hope it solves the problem.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Getting a late start due to staying up far too long with friends in Jenks, but I’m off to the Corvette museum in Bowling Green KY!

Matthew
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Dorsai wrote
Getting a late start due to staying up far too long with friends in Jenks, but I’m off to the Corvette museum in Bowling Green KY!
Cool! I visited that museum back sometime in 2005-2006. It's worthwhile if you're passing by.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Travel safely, Matthew.  Sure was good to meet you after, as you said, 7 years of knowing each other on forums.  Hope the return trip is completely uneventful and that you don't have more of the overheating problem.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dorsai
Current status:

So far everything seems fine - it’s cool and cloudy, which helps, but after 90 minutes or so of highway driving, the module temperature is only 95 degrees.
Matthew
Atlanta GA