classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
61 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Warning Buzzer

Ken Blythen
Hi Gary,

The operation of the buzzers changed over the years....I forget all the details, but my truck ('83) also has two units.

One is wired to operate for 8 seconds (as per the owners manual description),  in conjunction with the 'FASTEN BELTS' warning light, after you turn the key on. The tone of this buzzer is horrific.

The second buzzer (SLIGHTLY milder) operates if a door is opened, while the park or head lights are on....all regardless of the key being in/out, or it's position.
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Hello, Ken! I pray that you, Gail and your family are staying well! Always good reading your input!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ken Blythen
Ken - Good to have your input!  Long time no hear.  As David said, I hope things are well for you and your family, especially with all that is going on.

Yes, the buzzers changed over the years.  And it is good to know how your '83 works.

As we are getting the owners manuals on the site, slowly, it might be good to pull the relevant sections out of each of those and make a page on warning buzzers.  And, depending on what I find today with the wiring, give some warning there regarding what happens when you mix the wiring of several different years.

Thanks again, and stay well and in touch.   
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ken Blythen
David & Gary.....thanks both!

Yes...Gail, myself & the family are all fine.

We have 1,100 Covid19 cases here currently, with only one fatality (population is 4.8 million).....so although we are in a full lockdown, it could be much worse.

All the best to you each, & your families!

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ken - I hadn't read about the lock-down in New Zealand, but just did.  I think your government made the right call at the right time.  I wish more had here in the US and in other places.

Please tell Gail hello from Janey and I.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ken Blythen
Thanks Gary, I will
Reply | Threaded
|

BARRYS83F100

I just had my dash pad out of my 1983 F100 and found only 1 buzzer above glove box unhooked, I hooked it up and it works as should now where will 2nd buzzer be located ? 2nd can buzzer be replaced with a child ?  If so part # and is is a plug in swap ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I just did a search of the site and found a couple of hits on this topic:

Interchange: By adding 3 wires, a later electronic chime (large black 7-pin) or buzzer (smaller black 7-pin) can replace an older buzzer (green 4-pin).  By adding 2, the later white buzzer (smaller white 6-pin) will work.  Each additional wire adds functionality.

Year-To-Year-Differences: Dane wrote "In the electrical, the brochure says lights on/door buzzer changed to a chime on XLT, XLT Lariat in 1986,  in the 1986 brochure.  Mine has a build date of 02/86, it's a XLT Lariat and it has a buzzer. Could be somebody changed it to a buzzer, but that seems kind of unlikely."

So I don't think a chime is a direct plug in, although I don't know that for sure.  Maybe someone else does.

But your buzzer should have two functions in it, key on and seat belt, as described below.  If so, I don't think there's a 2nd buzzer available as you have both in one.

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseLuvr
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Right.  So the Key Warning Switch is bad?  I'll check it out.

Is there somewhere we record mistakes in documentation?  There are two in this drawing -- circuit 159 & 195 at the buzzer and plug should be the same but I don't know which is correct.  Also the brown wire (circuit 14) in the plug is marked as BK and marked correctly as BN at the buzzer.  My truck has a brown wire.

Mark
‘84 F150 4x4 351W 4sp. Regular cab, long bed, all original. '69 Continental MK III. Older restoration. '95 Saab 900S Convertible. '05 Saab 9-3 ARC Convertible 2.0T. Lime Yellow. '09 Saab 9-3 AERO Convertible 2.8T. Sand Beige top. '13 MINI Cooper Factory JCW 6sp. '01 H-D Sportster. '03 Yamaha FZ-1.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mark - I can edit the page and mark it up.  And I agree with what you are saying on Ckt 14 - it can't be both black and brown.  And since yours is brown we'll go that way.

And I see what you are saying - the plug says 195 and the circuit going to the buzzer says 159.  And looking at pages 83 and 84, which is where that circuit comes from, I see it is actually 159.

Good catches!

I've made the changes, although the page size isn't quite where I want it yet.  Anyway, see what you think.

Reply | Threaded
|

BullnoseLuvr
I just bought the black seven-pin buzzer to add the headlights-on warning (the one I most need). My truck, not having the light package, has the six-pin buzzer which omits the headlights-on warning.

The strange thing is that my truck has a door switch on the passenger side which comes with the light package. It’s possible I added it years ago and forgot.

I’ll check the diagram.

Mark
‘84 F150 4x4 351W 4sp. Regular cab, long bed, all original. '69 Continental MK III. Older restoration. '95 Saab 900S Convertible. '05 Saab 9-3 ARC Convertible 2.0T. Lime Yellow. '09 Saab 9-3 AERO Convertible 2.8T. Sand Beige top. '13 MINI Cooper Factory JCW 6sp. '01 H-D Sportster. '03 Yamaha FZ-1.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ole Blue 82
In reply to this post by kramttocs
This question may have been answered somewhere in this thread but my buzzer was unplugged by previous owner I popped it back in now it buzzes when I put in key and turn to on but after starting it goes of for a short time 2-3 seconds then comes back on even with seatbelts are in and lights off? I’m wondering if my ignition switch is faulty.
Thanks
JM-OleBlue82’
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Does it stay on indefinitely the second time it comes on?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Ole Blue 82
So far yes after it goes of and come back it’s on u till I turn off the truck
JM-OleBlue82’
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
This post was updated on .
My first guess would be the LH door switch. Does your dome light work? On and off with door open/close?

The delay is what's a little odd. That makes me think it's not the key/lights on buzzer but rather a defective timer in the seatbelt buzzer.
We don't have an 82 EVTM though so I am not sure if yours is like the 81 or the later combination style.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Ole Blue 82
My dome light doesn’t function, but I haven’t checked the bulb. As for my buzzer I don’t have the light group so I only have a single green seatbelt/ignition buzzer
JM-OleBlue82’
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Does your fasten seatbelt light come on when the buzzer is buzzing?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Ole Blue 82
It does not, bulb perhaps? I’m not sure if the bulb effects the buzzer or not
JM-OleBlue82’
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Does it ever come on? During the initial buzzing?

Looking at  the diagram, with a single buzzer I am not seeing how the buzzer could be on and the light isn't (aside from a burnt bulb). Trying to find some common ground to start working backwards from.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Ole Blue 82
So I don’t have a bulb in the dome light I’m gonna pick one up and see but when I test the socket with a multimeter I get 11-12vdc on even after I start the ignition and buckle the belts
JM-OleBlue82’