classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
61 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Warning Buzzer

kramttocs
Administrator
When did the buzzer start going off? As soon as you hooked up the battery or something else?
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
With the battery connected it goes on as soon as I open the door and stays on until I close the door.  With no key in the ignition.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
With it being tied to the door you can rule out the seatbelt. You could disconnect the large steering column connector and see if it stops. If it's the key-on indicator that is stuck that should disconnect the ground circuit.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think the circuit is working properly.  Page 90 of the 1985 EVTM says:

KEY WARNING

HOW THE CIRCUIT WORKS

Voltage is applied at all times through Fuse 8 to this circuit.  The Key Warning Switch and other components on this circuit are connected to the Front Door Jamb Switches.

When the LH Front Door Jamb Switch is opened, voltage is available to turn on the Key Warning Buzzer.

That seems to say it should buzz with the door open.  And that's the way I remember it working.  Yes?  No?

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Didn't you say the key wasn't in the ignition though? Meaning I thought the key being in there grounded it.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Just ran out to the shop to check since it's not one of those things I paid much attention to rhyme or reason of before I took the truck down a year ago.

Here is what I found:

1. Seatbelt unhooked. Key turn to run. BUZZER
2. Seatbelt hooked. Key turn to run. NO buzzer
3. Door open. Key off in ignition. Headlights on. BUZZER
4. Door open. Key not in ignition. Headlights on. BUZZER

I couldn't make the buzzer go off based on the key state only so with mine not going off and yours always going off, we need a third person to chime in here

It should definitely go off sometime (unlike mine) but I wouldn't expect it to go off even with the key not in there (like yours).
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Right.  So the Key Warning Switch is bad?  I'll check it out.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Do you mean buzz in.  (I see what you did there.  )

I'll check that switch.......

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Ah, a missed opportunity!! Well played.

I was cracking up when doing the test on my truck in that neither of ours seem to be working like expected.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, the plot just thickened.  My truck does NOT have the BK/PK wire in the steering column harness.  And yet the C305A jumper that I took out of it, the one that goes to the cruise control but was butchered, does have it.

So, the steering column I put in is from a truck before that buzzer came on the scene.  And the C305A jumper I put in may have as well.  

So, what's causing the buzzer to go on when the door is opened?  And, depending on the answer to that question, do I care to fix it?  

I do NOT want to change out the steering column.  

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
kramttocs wrote
Just ran out to the shop to check since it's not one of those things I paid much attention to rhyme or reason of before I took the truck down a year ago.

Here is what I found:

1. Seatbelt unhooked. Key turn to run. BUZZER
2. Seatbelt hooked. Key turn to run. NO buzzer
3. Door open. Key off in ignition. Headlights on. BUZZER
4. Door open. Key not in ignition. Headlights on. BUZZER

I couldn't make the buzzer go off based on the key state only so with mine not going off and yours always going off, we need a third person to chime in here

It should definitely go off sometime (unlike mine) but I wouldn't expect it to go off even with the key not in there (like yours).
I just checked mine, and it is the same.

Unless the headlights are on, the buzzer should not be going off if the door is open and the key is not in the ignition.

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
And in Lucille, if you have the key in the ignition (headlights off) and open the door does the buzzer go off?

If so does it matter if the key is in Off or Run or Aux? Or does just having the key in there complete the ground?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I've sorta found my problem.  This white/purple wire is in the C305 jumper where it connects with the black/pink hash wire going to the buzzer.  I can't find any voltage on that wire nor does it show any resistance to ground, but it is just enough to trigger the buzzer.

So now I'm trying to figure out where it goes.....

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I'm crazy.  It is official.  I was at the wrong end of the C305A.  The wire in there that matches up with the black/pink is blue/purple.  And, with the two connectors apart and jumpering between the black/pink and ground turns the buzzer on.  But jumpering between the black/pink and the blue/purple doesn't.  

The plot is so thick I can't stir it......

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, I'm taking this back to the Big Blue's Transformation thread.  Sorry for the hijack.  

Reply | Threaded
|

thefraze_1020
I don't mind you hijacking my thread. I'm just happy my question started a deep conversation.
Cameron

1986 F-150 Base, 4x2, 4.9L I6, C6
1992 F-250 XLT, longbed extended cab, 4x4, 7.5L V8, ZF5 5-speed
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
Little buzzer up date on my truck .......... it did not buzz today.
I will give it a try again tomorrow as I am off work for needle in eye again so after a little rest I will play.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
This post was updated on .
kramttocs wrote
And in Lucille, if you have the key in the ignition (headlights off) and open the door does the buzzer go off?

If so does it matter if the key is in Off or Run or Aux? Or does just having the key in there complete the ground?

Yes. If I have the key in the ignition (headlights off) and open the door, the buzzer buzzes.

If I turn the key down to the ACC position and open the door, the buzzer doesn't buzz.

Then it gets interesting:
If I leave the door open and turn the key forward to the RUN position - and the seatbelt is unbuckled - a *second* buzzer will come on with the FASTEN BELTS light on the dash.  That's right - TWO buzzers will go off at the same time!  It sounds like something from a low-budget 1970s horror flick.

After about 5 seconds or so, the second buzzer and the FASTEN BELTS light will both turn off.

So I have two buzzers:  one buzzer for when the key is left in the ignition and/or the headlights are left on, and another one to remind you buckle your seat belt.

Capiche?
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's sorta what I have - except that something is emulating the key being in the ignition, so I have the first buzzer if the door opens.  But turn the key to Run and since there's no seat belt the light and 2nd buzzer come on.  (Mine don't go off, they come on.  )

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
Yep - I know exactly. Turns out my powdercoated steering column was preventing ground to the key switch. Ran a dedicated ground wire to it and I was immediately bombarded with childhood memories of trying to save Cavity Sam...
Scott