Walter is done.... For the moment

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
27 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Walter is done.... For the moment

rcarlisle
Weatherstripping, headliner, carpet dash cover, hubcaps, speakers.  The factory radio works!  I have new taillights ordered.  But I am done for a little bit.  Vacuumed out the floors and doors yesterday.

I'll try got some photos today while the sun is out.  
Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Walter is done.... For the moment

Rembrant
It is hugely satisfying to install new (and useful) parts! I'm a huge proponent of this! lol.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by rcarlisle
Photos - I havae taillight lenses ordered - waiting...

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looking good!  And I agree, installing those things is fun.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Thanks.   I think I overloaded myself - I'm tried of working on it every night!   So it's done for the moment. BUt......

I'm going to post my next inquiry after I do some searching - AC vents not blowing, even on vent position.   That's the next project - see if I can get AC working.  I'm looking at HVAC section here and looking on the net.  Would appear to be a vacuum issue for that set of doors - floor and defrost work correctly.  Just no air thru panel vents.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
On the dash vents try putting the control on max AC and see if you get anything then.
I have to put it to AC first before anything will come out the vents on the dash.
Dave. ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Will try.  Also going looking for a white or beige vacuum line under hood, from what I've read.  IT looks like some of hte vac lines are plugged or non existent.   THe garage that did the engine work went to the truoble of putting the AC system back in and even a new belt so I like to think they had designs on it actually working someday.  PO said it wasn't charged.  I thought about getting a can of AC pro to see if that helps, gets enough in there to get hte compressor to start kicking in?.   Realistically, I could probably live with AC air from defore vents as small as the cab is.  

I haven't done anything under hood other than look around and replace dist cap and brake booster.   Time to start exploring more.

My HVAC controls feel very rubbery and there is not defined position for anything, but I can get floor or defrost.  I know now that defrost is no vac and engages compressor.  I can hear the controls hissing as it changes position, so that is supposed to happen according to something I read.  No continual hissing.  

I need to start a separate post on the HVAC, but I want to search first - make sure I'm not going over something already discussed.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
That's a good looking truck, Randy. I'm wondering if that paint might buff out?

Regarding the HVAC, be prepared to replace the blend door. It's not a matter of whether it will go or not, but when. Lots of info here on that.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Thanks for the compliments.   I might try to buff the paint, but it's bad.  All over.   I can see the DA sanding swirls in places.  Not sure if they used spray bombs or what.   It was a nice two tone originally, from what I see on the back of the doors.   Like image below.   But if I go to buffing, I may buff through this paint and into something below.  That could be an interesting patina job maybe.    Now that I have the inside done, I can think on next steps.  

As for AC, I saw those door replacement posts.   Ugh.  Dang it.   I just want to get it to blow air if possible.  And if not, maybe just AC air through defroster vents...  I hate dismantling the truck.

Original color I think, but this is long bed.

My wife has a 202 Hyundai Santa Fe in "stormy sea" blue - that would be real similar to the upper color and might look nice someday
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Went out this morning.  Walter had a flat tire.  They are bad anyway so today I bought new tires.   Also had to get brake pads after that and come home to install them.  I'm kinda tired of working on this thing.  Ready to do something else for a few days.  

Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looking good!  The tires will not only improve the looks but also the handling.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
It is better, but it has really drained me, financially, physically, and rebooting at this point.  I worked really hard to get it"done"and was going to rest a bit.  Truck keeps demanding more attention.  I may ignore it for a few days.  

I'm happy that I have tires that I'm not afraid will explode.  So that's good.  And I have new front brakes, so I'm just a touch safer.  

Just tried of messing with it right now.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
rcarlisle wrote
Thanks for the compliments.   I might try to buff the paint, but it's bad.  All over.   I can see the DA sanding swirls in places.  Not sure if they used spray bombs or what.   It was a nice two tone originally, from what I see on the back of the doors.   Like image below.   But if I go to buffing, I may buff through this paint and into something below.  That could be an interesting patina job maybe.    Now that I have the inside done, I can think on next steps.  

As for AC, I saw those door replacement posts.   Ugh.  Dang it.   I just want to get it to blow air if possible.  And if not, maybe just AC air through defroster vents...  I hate dismantling the truck.

Original color I think, but this is long bed.

My wife has a 202 Hyundai Santa Fe in "stormy sea" blue - that would be real similar to the upper color and might look nice someday
I wish my truck looked like that picture! I think that is my color too but mine is very worn and rusted.
1981 Ford F100 6 Cylinder 4.9 Litre 1 Barrel
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Jonathan
rcarlisle wrote
Photos - I havae taillight lenses ordered - waiting...
Your interior looks great!  I wish mine looked half as good.
1981 Ford F100 6 Cylinder 4.9 Litre 1 Barrel
3 Speed C6 Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by Jonathan
I'm pretty sure this is what yours looked like originally as well.    Here's the link to all the photos of that restored truck.   It was listed at $25900 and is sold.   Pics may disappear?

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1246197/1981-ford-f150-for-sale-in-north-royalton-ohio-44133
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
In reply to this post by Jonathan
Just takes time and money.   Wife says the truck is becoming a money pit...  BUt it will be a reasonably good looking money pit.  
Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
rcarlisle wrote
Just takes time and money.   Wife says the truck is becoming a money pit...  BUt it will be a reasonably good looking money pit.
My wife said the same thing about my $800 take the trash to the dump truck when I started to do some work to it.
Well a few days after I got it home I pulled it all apart as in a cab off frame rebuild!
Then it was a real MONEY PIT!

It was not till almost 4 years later when I got paint on the truck that she then started to like it a little LOL

I am afraid to go through all the paid bills I have in a bag to see just what I got into it.
I do love driving it over my 02 Durango 95% of the time.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
That's a beauty!  Someday.  Today I had to do the rear brakes.  Thought it would be easy.  I used to my 71 dart all for drums in about 3 hours.  Took me about 9 hours to do these two.

I have NEVER seen drums so awful.  Rusty, junky.  But they better now.  Still need to bleed a little more.  The truck, not me.  I did my share today

Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
So what if it took a little longer than you think it should as long as it was done right.
That looks good, nice job.

when I wen to look at my truck before buying it 1 side of the master was empty!
When I got to the rear brakes they were missing springs, leaking wheel cly. and ebrake cable were either frozen or broken, it was a mess.
Dave ----
Dave G.
Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
The problem work it taking so long is we had other things planned today, that's all.  And tomorrow is busy.  Truck was dismantled under carport where we park the other cars.  Would been Monday before I got back to it and my mind would have been off subject.  That's my issue.  Be different if I had a garage to work in, maybe

So it bugged the heck out of me.  

I'm not sure how or if the brakes were working.  I guess they were some because it would have some randomness to it.  Parking brake was working.  

I tried to restore and paint and grease everything so it will be better from now on.  
Randy