Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Walter is done.... For the moment

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Looks good.  Should last a long time.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Studied about it all day yesterday when I was not able to mess with it.   Went with my mom 1.5 hours away to church where my grandparents took me when I stayed with them.   My grandmother passed away 41 years ago yesterday so we took flowers to church and had a big lunch, came home.   It was neet to see a few folks that I remember from when I was a kid that are still there.   And it was very small crowd inside (covid).  They still have the same lady playing the organ and she looks the same with grayer hair.  

Back to truck, I really think my helper and I were a little out of rhythm on our bleeding.   I also think it's time to go ahead and suck all the fluid out of the master cyl and flush the lines.   Fluid is dark, so may as well change it - I bought enough.  

May need to adjust shoes out a bit more too.   I was in such a state by the time I finished I really didn't think about that.   But it has been driven now, so everything should be settled in where I can adjust the shoes better.  

THe new brakes did work well enough that everything I had in seat is in floorboard.  ANd it braked smoothly.  Just not as strong as I had hoped it would.  

Also got a new box from LMC with headlight harness, spare tire carrier hold down nut, and steering wheel FORD button.   Still expecting the LED dash light kit.  SO I still have projects, but they are really winding down to mostly maintenance type things to make truck drive better, more safely.  

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
We were back at our church building for the first time in such a long time yesterday that it seemed like we were visiting. So I know what the feeling was like. Good!

On the brakes, I’d go ahead and flush it out. The old fluid will have rust and moisture in it, so it is time to start over.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
Done.   Borrowed the vacuum pump from Advance Auto (it was pretty worn out).   New fluid, adjusted on the drums a bit more.   Happy with brakes.   I've replaced everything but the master cylinder and lines.  The master looks pretty recent and the lines to front wheels from frame are newish.  I can live with it for a spell.   Maybe adjust on the parking brake soon.   It grabs good but way down.  

Randy

Mt. Airy, NC   81 F-150 STYLESIDE regular cab 2wd.   302 Auto Zone crate.  5 spd M5od-R2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got the brakes adjusted and the system bled.  But if the brake pedal is low you may have a mal-adjusted push rod.

Between the booster and the master cylinder there's an adjustable push rod.  It should be set when a new master is installed, but is frequently overlooked, and it can easily cause the pedal to be low.

You can check it by pulling the master loose from the booster and moving the master forward a bit.  But the  adjustment is somewhat critical 'cause if you get it too long the brakes won't release fully and will drag.

This is written up on our page at Documentation/Driveline/Brakes and then the Master Cyl's & Boosters tab and then the Push Rod Adjustment tab.

Reply | Threaded
|

rcarlisle
I"m not sure anything is out of adjustment.   Just different from my car.   My Ford Edge was kinda scary at first becasue brakes were similar - the reviews even called it out.   So it was normal for that vehicle.  

And it's the parking brake that needs adjusting now.   Have to look that up.  With it bneing 5 spd, I want the parking brake to work proplerly, especially as our driveway slopes.  Sometimes I need to check things with it in neutral and would rather it NOT roll over me or into our other cars.  

The brakes start working almost immediately when I press the pedal and of course, get stronger as I press more.  Not to floor at a strong stop.  Now, if I have the parking brake even partially depressed, they are right on top and even stouter, but that isn't right.  Preloading brakes - not good.   Found that accidentally last night.   I assume that the auto adjusters will get it a little better and the shoes will bed in some as they wear.  

The booster was supposed to be preset when I bought it and it looked like the correctish adjustment.  I admit, I did not measure it before installing.  But that is a worthy idea if it seems like they are too low in a few weeks.  

I did read and re read that adjustement deal when I was having booster issues.  And thought about it recently as well.  

Randy

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oh, ok.  Maybe I misunderstood.  And you are right, the adjusters should kick in after you've backed up and stopped a number of times.  And things will bed in.