Virtual Truck Show? Thoughts & Ideas, Please!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Virtual Truck Show? Thoughts & Ideas, Please!

salans7
Virtual truck show is probably gonna be the best bet, I feel attendance will decline for an in-person show due to not only Covid fears, but Covid-related circumstances such as job loss and income. I know I personally won't be able to make an in-person show this year.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good point, Shaun.  Thanks for the input.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't think it's prudent to have any gathering from wideflung locations.

As is I can't visit my buddy in Vermont because there is a mandatory 2 week quarantine for visitors from CT and N.Y..
I can go do my business in Colrain, MA, a few miles down the road, but I figured if I'm going to be in his backyard I should visit.

I'll do sausage and beans on the grill if you send me one of Janey's brownies!  
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I didn't realize that VT had mandatory quarantines.  Interesting.

Anyway, I do agree with you about having gatherings, much less from wide-flung locations.

As for the brownies, I think we can manage that.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Just one.

I'm not huge on dessert/sweets but I've heard so much about Janeys I can't miss it.    😋
It's a tradition!

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
Virtual truck show is probably gonna be the best bet, I feel attendance will decline for an in-person show due to not only Covid fears, but Covid-related circumstances such as job loss and income.
I agree. Between the border issues and my decrease in income, I think virtual will be as good as it gets for me. We were 100% Covid-19 free here for two plus weeks...and now we've had 3 new cases in as many days...all people that traveled from outside. What a mess.

I'd absolutely love to roadtrip my Bull to Skiatook. Gary, you need to move to New England!!...lol.

However it works out I'd love to take part, and besides you guys should have a funny Canadian accent to make fun of, EH?...lol. I could get some BBQ takeout and have it while we're together (virtually together).

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cory - I'd love to hear you say "aboot".  

Seriously though, I simply cannot see having the in-person show this year.  My high school graduating class is currently debating having our 55th reunion in October, and one of our classmates that is a doctor just explained that this virus is going to be with us until well after they come up with a vaccine - and that won't happen until year-end at best.  So if it isn't safe for a class reunion in late October it sure isn't going to be safe for a truck show in mid-September.

But let's let a few more chime in before we make a decision.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Arizona has become such a COVID hotspot that many states are implementing a mandatory quarantine for anyone coming from this state. We had almost 5,000 new cases reported in a single day. The hospitals in Phoenix and Tucson are overflowing and tough decisions are having to be made regarding who gets the care and who is too far gone. I remember reading that our summer heat would destroy the virus on surfaces and folks were expecting a decline in the illness. Obviously that has not happened. My wife is a nurse at the Kingman hospital, and they are pushing cross training in PCU in preparation for more cases and in-state transfers. Arizona has had some of the least stringent lock down measures, and strong push back against mask requirements etc., and the results are not good. I am as tired of this virus situation as the next guy, but I truly believe the responsible thing to do is to limit person to person contact as much as we can. I know the show and get together arose out of the desire to visit face to face and see each other’s trucks in person (to augment the virtual experience of online interaction) so more virtual interacting isn’t going to fully replace the actual event... but it’s the right thing to do. And as already mentioned it will have benefits such as participation from international members who couldn’t otherwise bring their trucks to Skiatook. I also applaud the idea to adapt and hold a virtual event instead of simply cancelling.
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Sorry to hear there are so many Covidiots in your State Jonathan.

If someone wants to be reckless w with their own life, fine.
If someone wants to ignore to ignore the facts, and infects others, they should be jailed not hospitalized.

There was a HUGE party next door yesterday. (judging by all the cars, pool splashing and applause for the DJ's disco hits of the '70's)

If every person there dropped dead tomorrow, they deserved it.
But if they infect their parents, kids or other members of the public because of their "God given right to be 'Murican!" they can xXxX right off!
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Jim, the level of denial is staggering. Even with the recent explosion in COVID cases, our school system is still scheduled to resume classes August 6th. On Memorial Day the overflow parking lots at Lake Mohave were packed full and the line to get in was backed up all the way to Bullhead. You would think the number of dead people would be sobering, but all I hear is people crying that the numbers are manipulated and skewed. This shouldn’t be a political issue, but it is being turned into one which is further distracting from the science of any data. I can’t tell you if the numbers are being cooked up this way or that, but being married to a nurse I promise you that that the disease is horrific, it is killing people, and our hospital is filling up. It is horrible and I hate that it isn’t being taken seriously enough in my area.

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm sorry that your wife is on the front lines, being exposed to many more carriers than need be because people bury their heads in the sand or listen to conspiracy wackjobs.

Around here markets and pharmacies have early morning hours for seniors.
These people bring their coffee and folding chairs to sit around and socialize.
Shaking hands, even embracing!
Or they're standing nose to tail waiting for the doors to open.

My dad was in and out of pulmonary ICU towards his end.
Being on a ventilator is not a joke.
Nor is being in a medically induced coma.

Not to mention the work load this places on already hard working medical professionals like your wife.
Stay safe, and please thank your wife for the dangerous job she's doing.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I, too, am appalled by what I see, locally as well as on TV.  This is truly a terrible disease and we really need to understand that and heed the warnings and follow the guidance.

That having been said, let's kick around some different ways of doing a virtual truck show so people will have an idea of what we are talking about.  Here are some thoughts, so please let us know your thoughts about them.  But note that I use the term "the team" very loosely 'cause I don't know what nor who it/they is/are yet.  But rest assured I'll need help.

MEDIA:
Video: Everyone that enters creates a short video of his truck.  We would limit it to maybe a minute or two.  And you'd send the video to "the team" and some magic is done to splice them all together.  Or we put up each video separately as splicing them together could get long.  Let's say there are 100 entries and each is limited to a minute, we'd have almost a two hour video.  

Photo: Instead of videos, everyone sends in several pics of their truck(s).  We'd limit the # of pics, and maybe have some suggested ones.  Or required ones?  Anyway, then we'd put together a page or pages with the pics?

VOTING: I'm thinking that any member can vote, and we'll have a poll for each category.

TIME FRAME: We need to allow people time to watch all the videos or view the pictures and vote, so how long should we give them?  Do we put the video or pictures up a week in advance?  Two weeks?  And open the polling then.  And announce the winners on the "day of the show"?

ELIGIBILITY: Any member can enter as many of his/her trucks as s/he wants.  And while this is the Bullnose Forum, we have members that don't have a Bullnose.  So how 'bout allowing members to enter any Ford truck?

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Improvements?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
Gary, personally I think I would prefer links to separate videos instead of one long one. I think they would load and stream better individually and will reduce the work for “someone” to compile the media. I also think that walk-around videos (especially if narrated) and running/driving videos would greatly enhance the “virtual” experience and I would hate to see that limited to 1-2 minutes. Granted, if someone posts a 45 minute walk-around I probably won’t watch it all unless they legitimately have that much to show and talk about, but I suspect coaxing people to make and post any video will be the challenge. I don’t think video(s) should be required, but I think it would greatly enhance the presentation for those who take the time to do it. One drawback to this approach is the lack of “togetherness” that you get with a compiled video or shared album. A possible remedy could be compiling photos of the member + truck into a video slide show?

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I'm open to video, but the only forms of media I have are my crappy Android phone, and my digital camera from 2012 so no HD videos from me. A walkaround for me is gonna be a chore since I'll have to drag the engine and transmission/transfer case out of the shop and park them next to the truck so they can be included. Really should be a category for "In progress" or "In pieces" since not all of our trucks are completely together and running and driving.
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I did see a few virtual shows out there on the www.

https://performance.ford.com/enthusiasts/what-s-happening/2020/04/virtual-car-show.html

V~
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Hi, Vinny! How have you been?
Reply | Threaded
|

vjsimone
Ok David, just finished up official Physical Therapy last week for my replacement right knee that was installed last month after a delayed surgery date, not OEM.
Speaking of the virus, I got cought up in the mess while coastal fishing in Florida in March when it kicked in. Made it back to Virginia via a stop in Savannah GA. without getting the bug.

Hello Gary.
Vinny... "Do All Scheduled Maintenance Prior To Troubleshooting" "Resolve All Known Issues Prior To Troubleshooting"
Reply | Threaded
|

swampedout
The other thing I havent seen mentioned is the whole Zoom call thing.
It can be quite chaotic with large numbers especially with getting the trucks involved but we could do live walkarounds of our trucks if we made a schedule and if theres enough wifi close enough to the trucks. Or just have a chance to say hello to each other and have the truck heavy component be in a different media.

Time zones are also an issue if its going to be "live".

Whatever is decided, I look forward to seeing it and being part in whatever way me and my bullnose can participate.
Sam
1984 F250. 460. C6. 4x4.
 MSD Ignition. Airbag rear suspension
Whole buncha problems
Reply | Threaded
|

MarkF100
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
ArdWrknTrk wrote
There was a HUGE party next door yesterday. (judging by all the cars, pool splashing and applause for the DJ's disco hits of the '70's)

If every person there dropped dead tomorrow, they deserved it.
Are you seriously suggesting that people should drop dead for applauding disco music???? At least, that is how I take it. I do, however, agree. Disco sucked then and still sucks to this day! Long live Rock n Roll !!!!

I think that a virtual truck show is a great idea. We were hoping to ride to Sturgis this year as my wife has never been there. I've done the run for a number of years. But, with the virus, our age and, health issues we're not so hip into getting into crowds.
My 83 might not be up to the trip to Skiatook even though it's just a few hours away. Bad transmission.
Anyway, great idea to send in pics and some video. Great way to see even more of what those from far away have to offer.
“Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing.”
                                                            Hunter S. Thompson
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I don't see you have a smiley there....
Of course not.
If you enjoy Vicky Sue Robinson or KC and the Sunshine Band, have fun!
It was an era I lived and partied in.

But if you want to put a hundred people in a swimming pool or dancing on the concrete apron around it in the midst of this pandemic you deserve to be a statistic.
Unfortunately, these people are also vectors.

We've reached a milestone.
There are over 3.3M confirmed cases here in the U.S. (even with our crappy testing numbers)
That means one in every hundred citizens are, or have been, infected.
If even only ONE of the hundred people at that party were positive, that's a huge amount of contact tracing that needs to happen.
 Jim,