20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Transmission Cooling Line fitting to new radiator

ckuske
Administrator
Hi Everyone,

Hopefully I'm not asking a stupid question here, but I *think* I may have a situation...

I got my radiator installed - the Champion CC561.  It has threads in the radiator to hook the transmission cooling lines into.  The threads in the radiator are reported to be 1/4-18 NPT per Champion's site.

I tried to hook the lines up this evening, and the threads wouldn't bite.  I didn't force the issue given that the radiator is aluminum.

So, I started digging in all the documentation here (thanks as usual, Gary!).  This page seems to indicate that the fittings on the line are 1/4-20.  (https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Transmission-line-connector-E2TZ-7D273-A-NOS-tp69589.html)

Has anyone else run into this issue?  What would you do, change the fittings on the lines, or use some kind of adapter? (none jumped out at me in a quick search)  How involved would changing the fittings be?  It seems I would need to trim the end of the line off and re-flare once the new fittings are on?  I've never done that but I guess I'm excited by the opportunity?
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Transmission Cooling Line fitting to new radiator

grumpin
I put a Champion in my truck, the lines threaded right in.

But I had a leak at a union near the fitting. Finally got it to stop.

If it didn’t, I was thinking of putting on a 1/4 barb fitting and double flaring the tube and using a small length of rubber hose.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
You say "The threads in the radiator are reported to be 1/4-18 NPT per Champion's site."
and as far as I know the fitting on the radiator should be a flare fitting not a NPT.
NPT is a pipe thread and will never take a flare type fitting.
I also have not known of NPT to be listed as 1/4-18 it would be marked 1/4 NPT.

Maybe post up what the line(s) look like and the radiator side the lines go into.
If the radiator dose not have the flare part then you may need to get an adapter from the NPT to flare of the right size, 1/4"?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by ckuske
Chris - Two things.  First, I have a Champion in Big Blue and I can measure the thread pitch after church today.

Second, I assume you are reading the bit about the E2TZ 7D273-A connector that says "1/2-20 female x 1/4 NPTF male, for 5/16 dia. tube".  That would say to me that the threads on the tube are 1/2-20 and the fittings into the radiator are 1/4 NPT.  Right?  If so, then can't you use one of those connectors?  Didn't your original setup use that connector?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I see 1/4-18 for my (our) radiator.

Here: https://www.championradiators.com/3-row-Ford-Truck-1985-1996

Where is the info about the Ford part number?
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This?

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Ah, thanks Jim. Interesting!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Sorry for the confusion guys. I think part of my issue was reading that NPT is 18 threads per inch, while the Ford description mentioned 20 threads per inch with is not NPT. I probably just read things wrong last night.

Anyway, here are the pictures of the radiator and fitting.

I tried to hand thread the connector into the radiator, and it would stop threading. If I tried to apply some forward force into the radiator (push connector in while turning it), same behavior.  I may go to the plumbing store and buy a NPT coupler to try and screw in and verify the threads are ok in the radiator.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, Tilt Column, Borgeson/Bluetop Steering, Speed Control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Sent this on my phone, sorry for the rotation
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Note that the callout in the Ford parts listing is NPTF
National Pipe Taper, Fuel.  It's not a normal NPT fitting.
https://www.buyfittingsonline.com/pages/npt-vs-nps-vs-nptf-thread-connections-the-difference.html#:~:text=National%20Pipe%20Taper%20Fuel%20(NPTF,%22)%20or%20other%20sealant%20compound.

Maybe the Ford adapters are still available?
Would be nice, as they seem to include the O-ring as well.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
The stock setup use NPT in the radiator and a set of adapters to the flare fittings.

I installed a new radiator in mine last week and found the new adapters included were the wrong thread:

Luckily the old adapters fit the new radiator no problem.

I have a spare radiator from a 1992 F150 with the adapters still present if you need a set to interface everything.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Ok, thanks Larry, I was thinking it might be a setup like that but couldn’t remember and haven’t got to look at my truck yet.

Need to “look” at my truck as the heater core started leaking yesterday as I drove home.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
In reply to this post by ratdude747
Thanks ratdude, I may take you up in that if I can’t find any.

Does this seem like it would work?

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/51997/10002/-1

It seeems I would need an o-ring though per the MPC screenshot above?

I stumped the guys at the local hardware store already. I guess I don’t feel as silly anymore. I don’t remember thee being adapters on the old radiator but there must have been?
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
There are, in all the Ford radiators I've seen of this era.

Looks like a big hex bushing.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Like this?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EAF9XE0
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Yeah kinda.  That is the correct Ford part number so I guess they just made it longer.

I've used Dorman 800753, which also crosses to the same Ford P/N, and has the O-ring in the bottom of the line side.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks all. I ordered two Dorman 800-609 from Amazon, will be here in a couple days. I’ll update the thread with hopefully good news. You all have a good rest of the weekend!
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
What does an 800609 fit?
Edit: it seems to be the same as the above part number.

I only know that I grabbed whatever number I could get off the HELP! rack at Advance when Joe buggered up the adapters on his truck.

Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
The 84 F-150 is listed as compatible on Dormans site. The 800-753 is listed as being compatible with the C6 transmission. No specific compatibility is listed on the 800-609, so I figured since only the C6 was specifically listed on the 800-753, the -609 was a safer bet??
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I'm just glad you've found the adapter that works and you've got it on the way!  

Be careful with the aluminum threads in your radiator.
 Jim,