Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TransAmerica Trail -TAT

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Little Red?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
I dunno yet. Might see if the bike earns a name over time.

So, this morning I am listing that LS 4.8 liter for sale. Going to take the money and buy GPS and handlebar mounts for GPS and cell phone. Might buy some nicer handlebars also.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Don't know what you are looking for in a GPS, but I'm interested in something like the Garmin Inreach devices.  They provide both GPS and satellite communications so you aren't completely out of touch.

You may not need that, but I would like to have it since I plan to take BB to some remote places where cell coverage won't be available and CB probably won't reach.  That way my family can keep tabs on me and I can get help if needed.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gary, I am still naive about GPS devices but I have seen Garmin came out very recently with one specifically designed for motorcycles. I'll probably be getting that one. I think it is Garmin Zumo. I think there are a couple Zumo models also.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I see the Zumo XT, and it looks good.  But you'll probably want to power it off the bike as the 6 hours it'll run on regular settings doesn't seem to be enough.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
I'll get the gas tank today, but I couldnt resist mocking up the new Attack Graphics onto the stock tank.....

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  Looks like you've already been on the TAT - at least the CO portion.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
I plan to install a harness direct from the battery to run the GPS and a cell phone charger.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Also, over at www.advrider.com there is a regional forum. Many active riders in the tulsa area and around. I'll see if any of those guys would be interested in going.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I was going to ask to whom we wanted to extend an invitation.  On the truck side we could invite those on the Facebook pages.  However, we don't know many of those people and don't know how responsible they are.  I don't think we want a bunch of cowboys that make a lot of noise and cause problems.

So, how do we figure out who should go?  Or, whom we should invite?

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Well, lets be realistic for a second. If you got more than 3 or 4 trucks to go, including yourself, Id be surprised. Same on the MC side. Its a big committment time wise. Most guys who can afford the time and cash probably wont be "the rowdy" kind. Although...Gary....I can be a bit rowdy at times. But im 34, and have kids, and a wife, so I aint interested in getting too rowdy.

I think for the first trip, 6 or so trucks, and 6 or so MC riders would be manageable. But I dont think for this first Bull Run we will attract too many participants. Going to need to get through this trip, make a short video, put it on youtube, and expect a larger crowd the 2nd year.

I think the biggest logistical hurdle will be the MC guys getting hours ahead of the truck guys and losing comms.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is a big time commitment.  So I'm thinking we'll have two kinds of people: Those that go the whole way and locals who will do part of the run with us.

Those that go the whole way will probably be well outfitted and may well have more experience than we do.  And they'll be riding/driving capable vehicles that don't make a lot of noise 'cause they've learned that noise creates fatigue.

But I think we will attract locals that will ride with us for a while, and they may be the more noisy.  We will just have to see how it goes.

Speaking of that, we need to see if we have members along the way.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Are you worried about noisy vehicles or noise at camp? I have no problem with noise, but I am half your age. I like hearing loud trucks and bikes. So, it wont bother me.

Anyway, the MCs will be long gone most of the day ahead of the trucks. So, we wont be listening to loud trucks anyway.

We will be sort of setting a pace for the trucks to catch up with before night. So, I think fhe first run needs to be at an easy pace, at least the first two days, until we get a feel for it.

Really, the MC guys should plan this trip as though the trucks wont be there. The trucks are for an emergency, and to carry spare fuel, food, water, tools.

We simply wont have a single convoy, the MCs guys wont want to eat dust all day at a snails pace.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil

Well, got the tank today. Put it on. Was a pain in the neck. The underside was shaped just enough to make the fit really difficult. I had to wrap a wratchet strap around it to pull it down enough to line up the bolts.

Im kindof debating those graphics now. I like the plain red. Maybe ill put them on though.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
I'm not sure what a "snail's pace" is, but I drove the roads across the Tall Grass Prairie from 30 to 45 in Blue.  Not sure what speed I'll want to go in Big Blue, but if I can get the rear suspension softened I should be good for those speeds in him.  However, a heavily-sprung rear end will "walk" out on some of the corners so I'll just have to see.

But I understand not wanting to eat dust, so do expect y'all to set your own pace.  I'll be along after a bit, relaxed and having enjoyed the A/C in the truck.  

As for your bike, I think I'd leave the graphics off for a bit.  I kinda like it w/o them, and it is lots easier to put them on than take them off.

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
It reminds me of a day at my folks cabin when I was in my mid 20s.  I had a beater '75 Jeep CJ5, an '81 Yamaha IT-125 (little 2 stroke enduro) and a '74 Kawasaki F11A (bigger 2 stroke enduro, 250 cc).  I had a couple of friends with me, one of whom rode a street bike, the other had occasionally ridden mini bikes when he was a kid.  The three of us were bombing around on gravel 2-lane roads, switching off who was driving / riding what.  No matter what I was on I was the fastest.  In the Jeep I could barely pull away from both of the bikes, but if I was on either bike I'd lose the Jeep and the other bike in no time.

Neither of them were used to drifting a motorcycle in a turn, so they couldn't outrun the Jeep.  But for me, who was used to riding bikes in the dirt, the Jeep was running at a snail's pace.  There's just no comparison between what even an old, clapped out dirt bike like that '74 Kaw, or an underpowered dirt bike like that 125 Yamaha can do on dirt roads vs a truck.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Well...im no ace on a MC, but I dont think any of the 4x4s will keep pace when the roads get rough. Tall Grass Prairie gravel roads arent rough. I think the first couple days we will be able to stay within a couple or few miles of each other. But once we hit the technical stuff, and we can slide past oncoming traffic, and the trucks might have to stop completely and back up at times....we will be at the pub long before you get there....I do plan to hit a few pubs in towns when we stop for fuel in the evenings. Aint nothing like a cold brew fresh from the tap after a long hot day of riding.

Graphics or not...tis the question....I think I'll ride without em for awhile.

Question about MC carb jets. I get mixed opinions online about drilling jets. I have yet to see a drawing or schematic explaining the ID of a jet. Some say they are bored, some say they are beveled and have a venturi effect.

I need to move up a size. Id like to try drilling, I bet Gary, Bill, Jim and Dave know something about that. Edumacate me.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I wouldn’t drill it.

I would get several sizes up and down from what you have in there and take them on the trip.

Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I agree - don't drill the jets.  Buy them.  Years ago I was planning on drilling jets and someone pointed out a Holley jet chart which showed the diameter of the hole in the jet.  And in several cases two jets with different #'s have the same hole diameter.  Apparently the difference on those is in the taper going into and coming out of the hole.

I can't say that Honda jets are the same, but jets aren't expensive and I seriously doubt you can drill them and get accurate results.  However, if you decide to drill them you'll need a set of numbered drill bits.

As for speed, there will certainly be big differences in rough sections.  Plus, I'm a grandpa and won't be trying to push things.  I'm out to have fun and see what there is to see.  So I'll come along at my own pace and pick up the pieces.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Yeah, I thought about it. I bought a set of mains. For now I put the factory muffler baffle back in, and using the stock air filter. Its waaaaay too lean with baffle out and UNI foam air filter.

If I dont drill, I still have my stock 150 main jet in case I need to lean it out at higher elevations. Jet kit come with 152, 155, 158, 160 and I think a 162. I doubt I will need larger than 158.

1 ... 678910