classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
190 messages Options
1 ... 5678910
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TransAmerica Trail -TAT

Ray Cecil
A lot of people like windsheilds on dual sports. Im the opposite. Id rather have linear air hitting my helmet, and keeping my chest cool.

About the headlight. It has left a lot of wires and connectors exposed. I think I am going to get some red or black vinyl, and make a custom faux leather like cover. Ive never seen anything like it, just an idea I just had.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
It looks round. But its actually round with two flat sides. What do you call that shape?? Its not an oval....its not a circle....it IS the shape of a classic Oval-Track in racing....not sure what the heck that shape is called.
1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sac79
Rob - Thanks!  That was fast.  There's no hurry.

But you nailed it.  Answers a lot of questions.

As for the wires, I think routing through the back is the way to go.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Sac79
I haven't kept up with exactly what is being looked for here but I've ran across this product in the past. I've read some complaints based on the height of the driver as well as the practicality of it so I only bring it up because it might provide a simple platform/concept to build off of.

https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/shelf-it
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Scott - Thanks, but that looks like it would drop the visors a couple of inches, and I don't think I'd like that.
The highliner only drops the visors the thickness of the ABS, which has to be only an 1/8" or so, and I kind of like that.

I need to figure out what switches I need and if the radio bezel is going to provide enough space for them.  If not, some might go in the highliner.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Ray Cecil wrote
It looks round. But its actually round with two flat sides. What do you call that shape?? Its not an oval....its not a circle....it IS the shape of a classic Oval-Track in racing....not sure what the heck that shape is called.
Round ends with flat sides is an oval.  The shape that is all curves that people often call an oval (but isn't) is an ellipse.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary's New Test Name
Yesterday we went to the Tall Grass Prairie and I noted which roads go where. And now I'm working on creating a map we can use for planning.

The one below is an early version and only has two sections on it:

GPSKevin's Route: The green markers and the associated A on the KS/OK line to the B is GPSKevin's route - as far as I've plotted it

The blue marker and associated A in the lower right is the east end of OK 4220 Road, and the B to the NW is the visitor's center for the Tall Grass Prairie. Then C is Foraker, and D is Newkirk, which was the target for this section of GPSKevin's Section 22.

I need to figure out how to color GPSKevin's route something like green and ours blue, or vice versa. Anyone know how to do that on Google Maps?

Anyway, I thought this would be a good way to map it out and share it. Thoughts?

Oh yes. I was born in Arkansas City, which shows at the top left. And Janey and I lived 12 years in Ponca City, which shows on the lower left. We spent many, MANY hours on Kaw Lake right about where the "y" is of Kaw City. And my brother, who still lives in Arkansas City, has a cabin about where the "77" is north of Newkirk. IOW, that's my stomping grounds.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Oops, orgot I was logged in as Test.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary's New Test Name
Ray - We need to figure out how to discuss/decide on the route.  As you can see, I've been working on a map that should facilitate that discussion.  But the map is going to evolve over time, so each time you refresh it I'd bet it'll change.

For instance, this morning I added GPSKevin's route from near Hulah to where it intersects with what I'd come up with due east of Newkirk.

However, I then realized that I could bring my starting point, the "A", up north a bit.  But, that begs these questions: Does it matter where we start from?  Can that be Skiatook?  If so, how badly do we want to meet up with GPSKevin's route prior to where they join?

If we can start in Skiatook and join up with his route after the Tall Grass Prairie, then I can start looking for ways from here via dirt/gravel roads to that point.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gary, I think because we know more about the area, we should make our own route until we see everything we should see along the northern side of OK.

The furthest western point in OK that I am aware of that should be included is Little Sahara.

So...working from Skiatook....

Point A: Skiatook.
Point B: Tall Grass Prairie
Point C: Salt Flats in Jet OK
Point D: Little Sahara

After Point D, if there is no other attractions in North West OK, I say we beeline it to GPSKevins nearest point from Little Sahara and head for Colorado.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Update on the XR650L. I have pulled the wire harness out up to the tank, rerouted it so I can relocate the battery. I ordered a lighter Shorai Lithoum Iron batterh. I discovered the factory battery was still in the battery box.

So, I removed the battery box, and in its place I will be making a large diameter tool tube. Tire irons, spare tubes, handtools, and a few other little things that will help me get going on repairs if I am way ahead of the trucks, or cant get in contact for some reason.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Ray Cecil
Ray - I think that's a reasonable approach.  I'll lay out GPSKevin's route first as he's found, supposedly dirt/gravel roads, and then see where we want to deviate to hit those locations.

As for the changes on the bike, I think a lithium ion battery would save a lot of weight as well as free up some room.  Didn't know that is an option.  Cool!

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Gary, I have been looking at your map above. I'm confused. Why is there a track going from Hulah Lake along the OK KS boarder? Maybe I missed a post....

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Oh, nevermind, I see what you did. I had my reference point way off....I thought this was further west. I see GPSKevin's point A to the north side of Dewey/Bville now. Gotcha

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
....As for the changes on the bike, I think a lithium ion battery would save a lot of weight as well as free up some room.  Didn't know that is an option.  Cool!
Yes, the replacement battery is about 1.5lbs. The stock Lead Acid is I think 7 or 8 lbs. Minus the weight of the battery box, the battery relocation equals about -10lbs from the bike, and that is off the back end up high. The new battery, starter relay, fuse panel, and CDI module are now located under my butt. The CDI module is now inside the airbox, which will help keep it a little cooler. So, that moves the weight to a more desirable location. Also, I will be using the weight loss as an excuse to carry a tool tube in the battery box's old location. Plus 10 lbs of tools. So, actual weight savings will be nil. But I gained the ability to carry a few goodies without any change in weight or detrimental effects on handling.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
Another update on the XR650L....I really should name the bike....I'll take suggestions....

Anyway, I just ordered more parts.

-Acerbis 5.8 gallon tank.

-13 tooth and 16 tooth countershaft sprockets. Stock is 15.

-Batch of oil filters

-Skid Plate (on backorder)

-Tank Graphics

-UNI Open cell foam Air filter.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you figured it out.  I don't seem to be able to change the color of a route, so hope to keep GPSKevin's markers green and ours blue.  But I thought it would be helpful to have his route on there and use it as much as we can, and deviate only to go to the locations we want to see.

On the bike, having a few tools with you is a very good thing.  Hopefully you'll get plenty of riding in 'twixt now and then and they may come in handy.

As for names, how 'bout Bull?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
If I call it Bull....I have to get a mini set of bull horns for it...

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
The Red Mule!?
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
grumpin wrote
The Red Mule!?
In the Honda XR650L world, they are known as Pigs. I guess because they are the biggest heaviest "dualsport" dirtbike you can buy.....that is STILL a dirtbike and not some amalgamation of street/dirt bike like a KLR. The Suzuki DR650 still is setup like a dirtbike....kind of. But has CRAP stock suspension.

So....I think a Bull+ a Mule+ a Pig= a Rhinosaurus? Hahaha

1 ... 5678910