classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Thoughts On How To Use The Projects Section

Gary Lewis
Administrator
For some time I've been conflicted about how best to use the Projects folder.  But in a conversation with John/Machspeed yesterday I think I figured out how I'll use it.  (But you can use it however you want.)

I like placing my threads, like Big Blue's Transformation or Installation Of A Pormido 998 Mirror/Camera System, in the main section of the forum since more people will see them there than in the Projects section.

However, in the case of the Pormido mirror I want to create a new thread w/o comments and w/o all of my stumbling as I want to link to it from a review on Amazon.  I think that will help others who might want to use that mirror and understand how I installed it.  (But I'll have links in that thread to the current thread where all the to'ing and fro'ing is captured.)

So when the mirror installation is done I'll create a new thread in the projects section that won't have all of the to and fro, and won't have anyone else's comments.  How will I do that?  Once I post I'll "lock" the thread by clicking Options/Lock Topic, as shown in the screen snag below.  That means that no one can post in my thread, which will let me document what I've done "cleanly" so others can easily follow it.

And you can do that yourself if you choose to do it.  The Projects section is the only one, at this time, where anyone can lock their own thread.  But in order to post in your own thread you'll have to unlock the thread.  And since someone else might comment while you have it unlocked, I think I'll prepare my post elsewhere and then unlock, paste it in, post, and relock.

Thoughts?

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Thoughts On How To Use The Projects Section

kramttocs
Administrator
Would that not be a Resources entry vs a Projects entry? Not sure if we have a set definition for either so may be whatever floats the boat of the person posting
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hadn't thought of it that way.  And I guess it could be a "resource" to someone needing it.  But to me I'm just documenting a project I did w/o all of the rabbit-chasing, missteps, etc.

We obviously don't have guidelines or definitions for where to post, so I guess it is up to the poster.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Gary, Scott brings up a good point and I wonder if we should perhaps make some changes? Maybe we need a new folder within the projects page, or maybe even a whole new folder. What I am currently working on is a resource more than anything. It's why I left a note in the opening thread requesting input and thoughts via email. I just want to document my successes and failures and maybe save some people some grief and a whole bunch of time.  

As you know, I am also currently working on a Mustang......full rotisserie project. I frequent a Mustang forum that also has a project page. Within the contents of that projects page, a gentleman posted up and documented his build as it progressed along. It is the best, most comprehensive build I've ever seen. I frankly told him, he should put it in book form.... the guy is that good! His particular build thread is not unlike what we have with all the comments, questions, and unrelated banter. I always hated wading through it when I was looking for something. After the gentleman finished his project car, one of the members cleaned up the thread and took the time to index and organize it. It is my goto thread for the build on my car.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok guys, we could add a folder in Projects called Completed Projects, or somesuch.  Or, what did you have in mind?

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
"Resource Projects"? Scott???  In fact, with all that Scott has done on his beautiful truck, he could put together a very nice resource.

But, it is incredibly time consuming. This is what one does while sitting at home covid quarantined and bored right out of his mind...... 
John

Reply | Threaded
|

taskswap
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Thinking through my own (selfish) use, I think I probably wouldn't use a "I'm the only poster" thread very much mostly because I don't feel like much of an expert on anything. This is my first partial-restoration project and the input from everybody on my "Rocky" thread has been invaluable. But if the section you're proposing also allowed for smaller projects like "How to" entries I sure would. I might be able to contribute some things.

For instance I'm just about to mock up my winch mount, and I could document the measurements for doing a "semi-hidden" installation. It won't be a "bolt on Amazon buy-it-now" option but it would give folks a running start...
--
1981 F-250 Custom. 6.6L V8, 4 barrel Holley carb, ARA aftermarket A/C.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
My vote would be to use the Resources folder but maybe reorganizing it and adding a How-To section like mentioned above.

Thinking back to a "Does this tire work with this truck config" read-only thread that I've been wanting to put together, I can see when locked threads would be useful.
Situations where there is a locked thread in the Resources folder (keep the thread clean and concise) and then a sister discussion thread in the main section.

You've already got the discussion thread going so a locked thread in Resources > How-To makes sense to me.

I don't see any need to archive completed (are they ever really completed??? ) project threads into another folder.

Just my two cents...
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm amenable to whatever, and can create the new folder and allow the author to lock the thread wherever we want it.  But, it isn't intuitively obvious to me why it should go in resources.  Again, I'm ok with that.  Maybe we need a poll?

As for archiving completed project threads into another folder, I'm planning to do that on my Pormido mirror camera system.  That's because it was quite a learning exercise and I stumbled around a lot.  And we chased a number of rabbits, which is great as it is part of our community, but the outsiders are just looking for the facts, Jack.

So I plan to write up a new thread explaining how it was finally done.  An "as-built" if you will.  For instance, I'll explain that I'm using two 2 meter extensions for the front camera, and that I'd tried a 10 meter extension but it didn't work.  Plus, I'll give them a link to the discussion about the error messages I got when I tried that, but won't go back over the long and gory details.

And it'll be a link to that thread that I'll include in my review on Amazon of the system.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Gary, if you remember we did that on my "Darth Vader" thread, but left "The Darth Vader Project" thread unlocked.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I think we are using terms differently in some cases

I am using "project threads" to mean threads inside the Projects folder that generally deal with a singular truck, boat, car, etc but not individual tasks - like installing a camera, stereo, etc

I don't see a demand for archiving Projects folder project threads. I just can't think of a reason to do so. Doesn't mean there isn't one though.

As for your Pormido install, you are wanting to create a version that just contains the facts on how to install it without discussion mixed in - to me that's the definition of a How-To

I am a huge fan of How-To's and getting more of those is always great. Just think of how many have benefited from the Door Hinge Repair how-to on FTE you contributed photos to!

We already have some great ones on our site like Jonathan's Salvaging Rosewood, which lives under Resources > Interior.

I know a lot of the things under Resources are links but it was just based on threads like Jonathan's already existing that led me to suggest the camera install go under Resources.

Creating an intuitive structure is key though so I think this is a good discussion.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Agree with Scott, Gary. You should do what you're doing and put it in a "How-To". I too, love How To's....say that five times!

John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Bill - Yes, I remember that.

Scott & John, you'se guys caused me to look at the Resources tab.  It needs a lot of work.  

On the current subject, are you saying we need a How To folder within the Resources folder?  Or do we have a How To folder in each of the pinned topics?

I think we need to completely re-think the Resources folder before we start making changes.  A lot of that stuff is way out of date, or shouldn't have been there in the first place - with my limited understanding of what the folder is for.

Could I get one of you to take that on?  Right now it says "Below are threads, or topics, that list resource links for various part of the Bullnose trucks. Click on the thread to access the links for that topic."  But that doesn't seem to be what you are talking about doing with it.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Happy to take that on once we identify the plan for it.

Definitely up for discussion but my proposal would be:

1. Rename the folder to "Resources and How-To's"
2. Move any existing threads that don't fit into one of these into the correct place on the forum
3. Create folders for the various sections: Drivetrain, Interior, Electrical, Engine, etc
4. Move any existing threads into the appropriate folder

Thoughts?

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like that plan.  But I think we are going to have to have some discussions on what belongs and what doesn't.  For instance, I don't think that pleas for help belong, even if people have supplied good info.

Which then leads to needing to think through what to do with those threads.

In fact, it might need a discussion re who can post there.

Thoughts?

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Agreed on all accounts.
I think pleas for help should just go in the main forum.
People listing specialty things they can help with belong there but another user asking them for this help should go in the main forum (tagging them) or via outside communication if they don't want a public discussion on it (like paying for a service).

I would be up for anyone posting there so as to promote people putting together how-tos without a lot of red tape. Would just be a case where threads may get moved by admins more aggressively than other folders in order to keep things clean and relevant.

?

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Agreed.  However, isn't a "how-to" a specifically crafted post or post w/o other people's to and fro?  Would that help people understand what we are looking for?

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Yes or at least up to the user that posts it I guess. Whether they want to lock it or not

I am not really set either way on if discussions should be prevented or not. I can see pros and cons of both so maybe leaving it to the OP would work? That said, I think it would be better if people have questions on a how-to to start a thread in the main forum and just reference the how-to. Would get more visibility there.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
Agreed.  However, isn't a "how-to" a specifically crafted post or post w/o other people's to and fro?  Would that help people understand what we are looking for?
Yes, and if we have "How-To's" that have good information and are well done, I personally would really like to see all the nonessential jargon removed.  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Agreed - the How-To itself has to be uninterrupted. Either a single post or multiple posts if long but still uninterrupted by any discussion.

I think the question is whether there should be discussion allowed after the initial post in the How-To. I kind of feel like this is up to the OP but no strong feelings either way.
I know some of the resources (like the Rosewood Restoration) are actual pages on the site, that won't really be maintainable so going forward I think we can assume all How-Tos will be in a forum post format.
Scott