classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Thoughts On How To Use The Projects Section

Gary Lewis
Administrator
My concern is how to decide if something is a reasonable how-to.  My current Pormido thread certainly isn't a candidate in my books due to all of the discussion about other things.  But it has good info in it and could be useful to someone.  So if we don't say there can be no discussion in a thread that is a candidate for being a "how-to" then how will we decide what is too much discussion?

I think we say how-to's are specifically written to show the audience how to do something, and are locked and can have no replies.  But, I'm not saying this as the guy that makes the decisions.  I'm saying this as one of the team.  So I'm happy to have a discussion about it.  Is there a better way?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I am looking at it that a How-To is a completed action documented start to finish within the scope of the action. If it's not that then it should be requested for the OP to continue working on it outside of the Resources folder.

I feel safe to say we are all in agreement that the actual How-To shouldn't have discussion mixed in it.
But let's say, using your camera thread as an example, 5 years go by and Pormido sells out to Pormidon't and the model numbers you used are no longer available. To me I don't see a problem with having the thread unlocked so that someone in the future can chime in (after the How-To post) and say "here are the new model numbers X, Y, Z".
Or if they want clarification on step 4 they can ask for it there.

Having read only has benefits also. So ultimately my vote would be letting the threads be locked by the OP. This could also be one of those things that we just flip a coin, choose one and then deal with changing it as it plays out.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, a how-to is completed and has no discussion.  I think we all agree.

But, if it ain't locked it will have discussion.  John proved that when someone wanted to reply on his burgeoning thread on his "John's 86 F-150 4x4 Resto" thread - in spite of the first post saying it was locked. So do we then take it out of How-To's?

And years later, when it becomes Pormidon't (cute) someone can try to reply, get the pop-up, and ask to post.  That generates an email to at least the admins, but I'm not sure if it does to the original poster.  I need to check that out - after I get ready for Bible class...

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ready for class, so I tested and my GaryKennethLewis email account did not get notification.  But my main admin account did.  So this doesn't work very well.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Respectfully disagree! If something changes, you get the notification for which you can then contact the OP to make changes. If you can't get ahold of the OP, you make the changes. Keep in mind, not everyone that generates a "How-To" is going to stay as an active member. People lose interest, sell their trucks, and we never see them again. That said, what's important is that you can make whatever changes.

Another thing! I'm thinking before a "How-To" is submitted, it be reviewed by the moderators. One, to ask questions that could clear up confusion in the written word and the other so that we know it's in there. I personally don't read everything that comes up here. Some things just don't interest me or I feel I might not be able to contribute. But, something like a "How-To", I need to know it's in there such that I can give direction. Frankly, I could better myself by spending more time navigating through the website and knowing what's in it. I frequently find little gold nuggets every now and then that I did not know about.  
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Fair enough Gary - let's go with the locked thread approach.

My next question would be who is responsible for the locking and can that be automated (I assume not). But that will probably be answered based on the following discussion-

John - Does that mean the admin would post it or temporarily unlock the section for the user to post?

I was thinking just let anyone post and if it needs a little more work we let the user know so they can fine tune it. My concern is that getting too formal with it might create some entry barriers.
Admins could subscribe to the folder so they get notified of any changes.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Machspeed wrote
Respectfully disagree! If something changes, you get the notification for which you can then contact the OP to make changes. If you can't get ahold of the OP, you make the changes. Keep in mind, not everyone that generates a "How-To" is going to stay as an active member. People lose interest, sell their trucks, and we never see them again. That said, what's important is that you can make whatever changes.

Another thing! I'm thinking before a "How-To" is submitted, it be reviewed by the moderators. One, to ask questions that could clear up confusion in the written word and the other so that we know it's in there.
John - I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with.  That it doesn't work well since the OP doesn't get notified?

And who is "you"?  I'm ok if we have a designated "you", and since Scott volunteered I'd expect that he would follow up with whomever asks for access.  Just don't want all of us to be in a circle pointing left - he'll do it.

And I'd assume he'd be the "moderator" to review it.  Right?

kramttocs wrote
Fair enough Gary - let's go with the locked thread approach.

My next question would be who is responsible for the locking and can that be automated (I assume not). But that will probably be answered based on the following discussion-

John - Does that mean the admin would post it or temporarily unlock the section for the user to post?

I was thinking just let anyone post and if it needs a little more work we let the user know so they can fine tune it. My concern is that getting too formal with it might create some entry barriers.
Admins could subscribe to the folder so they get notified of any changes.
We can't automate it.  But we can set it up so only the author and moderators can lock it.  Or just moderators.

And to answer for John, it has to be unlocked before anyone can post.  So having the OP edit it but the moderators unlock is a pain.

As for letting anyone post, that will work if we have someone responsible for the section, someone that watches it closely.  Frankly I'd not seen some of those posts, several of which do not belong, in spite of being subscribed to everything on the forum.  (Yep.  )

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok guys, I'm starting to do my Pormido mirror how-to so I renamed "Resources" to "Resources & How-To's" and within that created a "How-To's" folder.  And then I turned on the ability to lock a topic.

However, don't miss the description of the How-To folder:

This folder is intended to have soup-to-nuts how-to's which document a way to do something.  They should be "locked" so there is no discussion in order to make them concise and to the point.

The author should create the initial entry and once it is posted lock the thread by clicking Options/Lock Topic in the upper right.  Then when s/he wants to either edit that post or add more posts unlock the thread and create the post.

However, it is possible that someone slips in while the editing is happening, and in those cases just alert a moderator and we'll remove the post.

Is that what we want?  Or, do we want to have some admin in charge and run all how-to's through him?

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
I think they should be reviewed upon submission to clear up any obscurities. The written word does not always translate well.
John

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - Are you saying that the author can't post his/her how-to?  That an admin will?  If so, would that be the How-To Czar?  Scott?

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
Gary Lewis wrote
John - Are you saying that the author can't post his/her how-to?  That an admin will?  If so, would that be the How-To Czar?  Scott?
No Gary, just that one of the moderators look it over after he posts to make suggestions on possible changes if need be. I suspect anyone that does a "How To" will want that anyway, which would also alert us that one was coming.  
John

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Sounds great Gary!
I agree that moderators should review and provide suggestions/ask questions to clarify as needed but that members should be free to make new posts without it going through a formal process. Sounds like we are all on the same page there but correct me if wrong.

Also, I'll start working on cleaning up the folder this week. For obvious ones, I'll just move them and make a post stating such. For others I am unsure of that might impact how we structure the folder, I'll make a list here and we can discuss.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok, it sounds like we are all in agreement.  And thanks for taking this on, Scott.  You have your first how-to for review.  

Note that I didn't make folders w/in the How-To folder, like Electrical or whatever.  You can do that as you see fit, but there may not be a need for a bit until we get a few how-to's in there.  Again, your call.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Ok guys, another thought/question along these lines. Bill has pointed out a Youtube about replacing suspension bushings. Is this a how-to?

If you look at our Resources & How-To's folder and then the Suspension & Steering folder you'll see that it is just a bunch of links to, hopefully, pages that have information. We could add another link to this Youtube, but it seems like it is getting buried a long ways down.

Do we need to rethink Resources & How-to's? Or just How-To's?

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I'd say it's a Resource but not a How-To. I say a How-To is original content on this forum. Anything else is a Resource even if it's a How-To. The distinction won't really matter except for the 'locking' point I mention below.

That's one thing I've been thinking about and since you brought it up, now's a good time to discuss

Links-
I think a lot of resources will be (and are) links to external sites or documentation. Things like youtube, Steve's supermotors articles, etc

My thought is that users can post new threads at will with links or they can add links to existing threads on the same topic. The latter won't get as much exposure but that's the users choice. In short, I don't think linked threads should be locked down. They would be a good place for discussing/adding to the linked content since we can't edit the linked content but there might be things worth adding/clarifying.

Folder Structure-

This one is tough for me. I like folder organization but with How-To's/Resources I don't think users will want to click more than a couple of times into a folder since there's no certainty that 1) what they are looking for even exists as a HowTo/Resource and 2) that it will be categorized the same way they are thinking.

My best thought on this is that we make it very high level.

Exterior (bodywork, trim, tailgate, bed, etc)
Interior (dash, upholstry, trim, etc)
Engine and Drivetrain (engine and everything attached, transmission, axles, brakes, etc)
Electrical
HVAC (I'd like to lump this in with another but can't decide which)

Seems like everthing ought to fit into one of those 4 or 5 categories and while there could be some electrical that might be considered driveline>engine I don't think it would cause much grief.

Willing to Help -

There's a couple posts/stickies regarding users that can help and users that need help. My suggestion is putting these in a separate folder. Sticky the Willing to Help thread there and users can create 'need help' threads directly in the folder.

Thoughts?
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I like those ideas, a lot.  But have one question: when you say "My thought is that users can post new threads at will with links..." you are talking about in the other sections, just not in Resources.  Or, do you mean in Resources?

One issue we have is that people aren't subscribed to the whole of the forum and, therefore, don't see posts in obscure places like Resources.  They could if they just clicked Topics View, but they don't seem to know that.  So if people post pleas for help in there no one is going to see it.

Given that, I like your idea of a Help folder that's pinned.  But maybe it is Willing To/Needing Help?

Anyway, go for it!  I welcome and appreciate your help.  You are Resources Czar and can do with it what you will.  But I'm happy to help if/when needed.  Thanks!